The Student Room Group

GCSEs are an utter joke

Scroll to see replies

For a website where the majority of the people on here think they're above most other people with their intellect, they don't seem to hold very much common sense. The original poster is a troll. These arguments have provided me with comedy cold, and I'm sure it is the same for the original poster.
Original post by nereik6794
For a website where the majority of the people on here think they're above most other people with their intellect, they don't seem to hold very much common sense. The original poster is a troll. These arguments have provided me with comedy cold, and I'm sure it is the same for the original poster.

I'd go as far to say, if no-one else has called it yet, that the original poster is probably linked in some way or the other to the initial guy who agreed with him. Probably a multi or something.
Reply 242
Original post by ieatcheeseyo

Enough maths to calculate a shopping list, enough English to read instructions on how to vote in x factor and enough science to pro-create :L

Love the quote!

I think they should abandon GCSE's for IGCSE's which surprisingly were the subjects I got some of my best grades in.

Also softer subjects like child care/expressive arts should not be GCSE's but other vocational qualifications.

<3 x
Original post by LETSJaM
Love the quote!

I think they should abandon GCSE's for IGCSE's which surprisingly were the subjects I got some of my best grades in.

Also softer subjects like child care/expressive arts should not be GCSE's but other vocational qualifications.

<3 x

Lool thanks :L

(Going to be quite hard to word this)

But basically GCSE's are fine for the people who want to leave school and start work... they'll develop vocational skills and start working.

NVQ maths questions, Bob needs 3 tins to paint 4 slabs of wood, there are 12 slabs, calculate the number of paint tins needed...

I've heard AS students (and I agree with this) that the jump from GCSE to AS is quite high, it takes some time to get used to the work load... so in my opinion GCSE's should be harder... so it'll progress nicely into AS

As I said in the post before, GCSE's are just the basic level of understanding in the UK, everyone should have a C (or wait I think it's the E for a GCE in English, Maths and *Science*

The people who want to study further will take AS or Btec's etc... It's basically an assault course to the Majority of the best Jobs... GCSE's being shin high, and A Levels being twice the height of the person trying to climb it..

And yeahh, People just take Sociology, PE and Media because that's whats open to them (no disrespect intended to people that genuinely want to study this) AS students taking media, because they know a year 13 who got D*D* AA or something... and they never change the syllabus... so they're getting 2 free A's at AS, which is 240 ucas or something..
Reply 244
Lool thanks :L

(Going to be quite hard to word this)

But basically GCSE's are fine for the people who want to leave school and start work... they'll develop vocational skills and start working.

NVQ maths questions, Bob needs 3 tins to paint 4 slabs of wood, there are 12 slabs, calculate the number of paint tins needed...

I've heard AS students (and I agree with this) that the jump from GCSE to AS is quite high, it takes some time to get used to the work load... so in my opinion GCSE's should be harder... so it'll progress nicely into AS

As I said in the post before, GCSE's are just the basic level of understanding in the UK, everyone should have a C (or wait I think it's the E for a GCE in English, Maths and *Science*

The people who want to study further will take AS or Btec's etc... It's basically an assault course to the Majority of the best Jobs... GCSE's being shin high, and A Levels being twice the height of the person trying to climb it..

And yeahh, People just take Sociology, PE and Media because that's whats open to them (no disrespect intended to people that genuinely want to study this) AS students taking media, because they know a year 13 who got D*D* AA or something... and they never change the syllabus... so they're getting 2 free A's at AS, which is 240 ucas or something..

I find myself agreeing with you entirely! Very nice GCSE's to AS levels anology.

<3 x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LETSJaM
I find myself agreeing with you entirely!

<3 x

ieatcheeseyo for Prime Minister!
and ...Great minds think alike :L x
Reply 246
Original post by Aldridge
Does anybody else agree GCSE's are a complete pisstake?

They are far too easy, you can practically turn up on the day and get an A* using common sense.

IMO they definitely need to make them far, far more difficult, to separate people with intelligence from people with common sense.

When you have proof that you have 15A*+ come back.
Reply 247
Great minds think alike :L x

Of course!

<3 x
not everyone got A*. just another reason for people to boast. just shh. who cares?
Sorry but this post is full of utter rubbish. Thousands of teens do GCSE's accross the nation for a reason. I worked so hard for my GCSE's and got 8 A*'s- some were easier than others e.g. Art took up most of year 11 for me but at the end of it, I got full marks and helped me realise my full potential.

If GCSE's weren't important then why did YOU do them in the first place?

A
not everyone got A*. just another reason for people to boast. just shh. who cares?

100% agree
Holy ****! Why are you complaining about a set of exams being so easy? If you find them so easy, you have no excuse for not getting straight A*'s. Rather then complain, shut up and do them. It's only going to get harder after.
Original post by AdamTheArchitect
Sorry but this post is full of utter rubbish. Thousands of teens do GCSE's accross the nation for a reason. I worked so hard for my GCSE's and got 8 A*'s- some were easier than others e.g. Art took up most of year 11 for me but at the end of it, I got full marks and helped me realise my full potential.

If GCSE's weren't important then why did YOU do them in the first place?

A

AGREE. Just go to oxford straight away instead.
Original post by snoopydoops
Holy ****! Why are you complaining about a set of exams being so easy? If you find them so easy, you have no excuse for not getting straight A*'s. Rather then complain, shut up and do them. It's only going to get harder after.

Because, I did get straight A*s and the problem is GCSEs don't distinguish the best candidates neither do A-Levels
Well I'm ever so sorry super-genius but not all of us have a common sense level as high as yours. I for one found my Maths exams very hard and I spent an extremely long time revising, hardly "turning up on the day".
You do know work what so ever? So you were born with the whole of Dawins theory of natural selection in your head.... Good one.
Reply 256
I Don't know what exam board you're with or what school you go to but where i come from they aren't that easy.
My school are one of the top in the county but still don't get all A*'s. Music you can get an A* if you know you're stuff but you can't go into a maths exam knowing nothing about say Trigonometry and get it right.
Reply 257
I agree with Biology, it is more of a logical exam, although they have stepped it up! Today I sat my unit 2 exam and to my complete horror it was was ridiculously hard!
I think that the OP is correct in theory, but wrong in premise. Sure these exams do have simple answers, but the main thing that makes them a joke is not that they are "easy", but the roundabout way in which the answer the questions.

Just look at the examiner's report from all of the science exams, you see with almost every question that "students failed to read the question". Well then, they should make it easier to understand what they actually want you to write.
Reply 259
Well not everyone is like you.

Quick Reply

Latest