deniu3545
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I know it's dead basic, but i just cant seem to answer this. It is for an AS unit exam, 6 marker. thanks (L)
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by matthurry)
I know it's dead basic, but i just cant seem to answer this. It is for an AS unit exam, 6 marker. thanks (L)
I think its because of the negative externalities that come about because of it, like the extra social cost of the pollution doing harm to health and the local environment,so it will be costly.
deniu3545
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
I think its because of the negative externalities that come about because of it, like the extra social cost of the pollution doing harm to health and the local environment,so it will be costly.
ok cool, i know these are dead basic q's, but how exactly do i explain that neg ex's are market failure? because isn't market failure about allocation of resources?
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ok cool, i know these are dead basic q's, but how exactly do i explain that neg ex's are market failure? because isn't market failure about allocation of resources?
http://tutor2u.net/economics/content...et_failure.htm

Use this site, it helped me at A-levels.... try it,its free

"Market failure has become an increasingly important topic for students at A level .There is a clear economic case for government intervention in markets where some form of market failure is taking place. Government can justify this by saying that intervention is in the public interest. Basically market failure occurs when markets do not bring about economic efficiency.

Government intervention occurs when markets are not working optimally i.e. there is a Pareto sub-optimal allocation of resources in a market/industry. In simple terms, the market may not always allocate scarce resources efficiently in a way that achieves the highest total social welfare."
killa78
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's cus the narket fails to take into account the cost to society (Y)
The Market equilibrium is not the socially optimum output. Therefore the Market has failed tO allocate resources properly.
Tateco
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because no one is held accountable for the social cost.
-Illmatic-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Think about it this way:

What are the effects of car pollution on a social scale? Environmental effects such as global warming?
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The market failure is because there is no 'market' for the pollution.

When someone decides to use their car they will compare the private benefit with using their car for that journey, with the private cost (cost of the petrol and other things needed to run the car). If the private benefit > private cost they will use it.

However there will be a social benefit to that use of the car which will be the private benefit plus any externality (if they are driving to work and society benefits from that person being at work then there is a positive externality that goes to other people than the person getting private benefit). There will also be a social cost to that use of the car which will be the private cost plus any externality (eg the negative effects on the environment by pollution). If the social benefit < social cost then it is not efficient for society for that journey to be made, whilst it may be efficient for the individual.

If there was a market for the pollution so the individual incurred privately the costs to society (and if the individual could benefit privately from all the social benefits of the journey) then the market would result in an efficient allocation of resources because the individual would only drive the car if the social benefit >= the social cost
Kvc01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think, yes market failure is about inefficient allocation of resources and in some way it is the overconsumption of negative externalities means the free market will be overproducing those cars at a price below the social optimum. Hence the society is not getting the compensation it deserves and suffers from most costs. This therefore means resources are being gained more by the consumers are being made better off at the cost of society
Last edited by Kvc01; 3 months ago
Kvc01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think, yes market failure is about inefficient allocation of resources and in some was the overconsumption of negative externalities means the free market will be overproducing those cars at a price below the social optimum. Hence the society is not getting the compensation it deserves and suffers from most costs. This therefore means resources are being gained more by the consumers are being made better off at the cost of society
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?