The Student Room Group

Hands aching from crutches

Broke my foot, FML. Have been given crutches and a walking cast so I can get about. I'm struggling with the crutches despite the orthapaedic nurse showing me what to do (have dyspraxia so struggle with anything manual!), and have ended up with bruised, sore hands from leaning so hard on them. I'm not too sure how to solve this, would wearing gloves make a difference? Any tips or advice?
Put socks over them or something but be wary about it because it can be dangerous if you're not careful
Original post by daisydaffodil
Broke my foot, FML. Have been given crutches and a walking cast so I can get about. I'm struggling with the crutches despite the orthapaedic nurse showing me what to do (have dyspraxia so struggle with anything manual!), and have ended up with bruised, sore hands from leaning so hard on them. I'm not too sure how to solve this, would wearing gloves make a difference? Any tips or advice?

Try putting foam over the handles, you can get round bits from packaging, that's what I did. It helps a bit, but will still be sore until you get used to it. Keep your hands well moisturised too :smile:

I can carry you around wherever you need to go if you wish. :flower2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Fingerless cycling gloves (they have padded palms)
Reply 5
I have a nice thick pair of gloves (with leather palms for grip) to wear when I'm using my walking stick. Might be an idea to get yourself a pair.
Reply 6
Either cycling gloves or pad that part of the crutch.
Reply 7
Gloves and/or foam.
Reply 8

I had the same problem, its quite painful after a while, you need something soft to cover the handles with or a very soft pair of gloves
I’ve been on crutches 2 days from breaking my foot and my hands are so sore, I put bike handle tape round the handles as it’s foamy and soft it’s helped a bit but I understand your pain my hands are killing me x
You can try smartCRUTCH. They really worked for me:smile:
Just keep with it, you'll get used to it after a week or so and the pain in your hands won't be so bad. : )

I managed to break my foot a couple of years ago just in time to start my new job as a cleaner with a moon boot on. I had to give my 'right to work' documents to my friend to hand in just in case they saw my boot and decided that all of a sudden they didn't want to hire me lol. The sight of my managers face when I walked in on day one was priceless.

Hopefully you won't need them for too long! Probably just as you start to get used to them you'll no longer need to use them.
(Original post by Dannyboy2015)Just keep with it, you'll get used to it after a week or so and the pain in your hands won't be so bad. : )

I managed to break my foot a couple of years ago just in time to start my new job as a cleaner with a moon boot on. I had to give my 'right to work' documents to my friend to hand in just in case they saw my boot and decided that all of a sudden they didn't want to hire me lol. The sight of my managers face when I walked in on day one was priceless.

Hopefully you won't need them for too long! Probably just as you start to get used to them you'll no longer need to use them.
Thank you. I have alreay had them for 4 weeks and my hands are hating life. There must be a better option.

Quick Reply

Latest