The most over and underrated unis?

Watch
lucas13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
What would you say were the most over and underrated universities?
GregoryPeck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Over rated? Exeter
Underrated? UEA, Southampton,
lucas13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
overrated- leeds
underrated- york, surrey
Miryo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
overrated - Oxford, UCL
BigV
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Underated: My university.
Overated: Any other university.
FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lucas13)
What would you say were the most over and underrated universities?
In my opinion, I'd say that Nottingham and Glasgow are underrated because people's perceptions of the cities seem to reflect badly on the Universities themselves. I'd also say York is underrated - it is always in or around the top ten - has been since 'league tables' began, but because of it's small size and lack of history, as well as arguably a lack of identity (for example Warwick is similar, but has a reputation for Maths). I'd say that Southampton and Royal Holloway seem to also be underrated.

Over-rated, probably King's college - I know it has some fantastic departments (especially Law and Medicine), and I think it is still a great uni, but I think it being grouped with LSE and UCL and Imperial as a 'golden triangle' uni helps it a lot. I think St Andrews may also be overrated, although I admit that is performs well considering it's size.

EDIT: why the negs? I might not be right, in fact, in all likelihood there is no 'wrong' or 'right' answer, but I've provided my opinion, and rationale for this, unlike other people who just spout a list of universities, without any reasoning whatsoever.
Sadsnail
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think manchester is massively overrated
fxyz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think QMU is underrated .. Probably cos of the trashy surrounded area. One of my Socio teachers said she hated LSE and thinks its largely overrated
iSMark
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think the majority of replies on this thread are pure speculation. Unless you have experience of both unis.
MickyFlanagan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lucas13)
overrated- leeds
underrated- york, surrey
agreed :yep:

(Original post by Miryo)
overrated - Oxford, UCL
:lolwut:
non
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i thought lancaster was over rated because i hear people say it's in the top 10 unis.
i don't go there so no bias
Choppyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Overrated: London met - gets far too much press.
Underrated: Nottingham, Imperial, Warwick.
sweetascandy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I want to say Oxford is overrated just to make myself feel better since they rejected me #pretentious ****ers
But I think they actually do live up to their rank. :sigh:
vedderfan94
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sadsnail)
I think manchester is massively overrated
yeah agreed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Exeter .. Overrated
Nottingham .. Underrated
rainbow drops
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think Lancaster's overrated. This isn't just speculation, either; it's my local uni so I've been there a fair few times, been on open days, used the library for research, looked into their courses and I know loaaads of people that go there, and I just cannot see how it warrants being as high in the league tables as it is. Sorry
Id and Ego seek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Underated:
Southampton
York
Surrey
Lancaster
Sheffield
Nottingham
Bristol

Overated:
Brunel

DWT ;)
non
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rainbow drops)
I think Lancaster's overrated. This isn't just speculation, either; it's my local uni so I've been there a fair few times, been on open days, used the library for research, looked into their courses and I know loaaads of people that go there, and I just cannot see how it warrants being as high in the league tables as it is. Sorry
agreed i've already said excactly the same thing as you. some people rank it top in the top 10
Aramiss18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's amazing how many people have attended so many univeristies and across such a wide range of subjects to obtain such fantastic knowledge. Either that or a lot of sixth formers spend too much time on wikipedia.
non
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Id and Ego seek)
Underated:
Southampton
York
Surrey
Lancaster
Sheffield
Nottingham
Bristol

Overated:
Brunel

DWT ;)
lol for brunel i know league tables mean nothing but for the guardians one for a subject i think brunel is ranked second.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (20)
29.41%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (14)
20.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
30.88%

Watched Threads