The Student Room Group

Is mathematical ability born or nurtured?

Scroll to see replies

Well for the subject "maths" it is definitely nurtured, though people who have "it" just have a head start, and an advantage.

On the other hand being able to do proofs and making your own "new" maths is something that's innate in my humble opinion.
Original post by Moiraclaire
Ok so
My parents have degrees in engineering and physics. They're both very good at maths.
I got an A* in Maths GCSE when I was 14 and am predicted A* in Maths & A in FM (although I personally aim for an A*)

BUT MY BROTHER redid his maths GCSE 5 times before he got a C. Having been brought up with parents that helped him with maths a lot and having had private maths tutors practically his whole scolastic life. He really does struggle...

So this would suggest nature, because we've had the same nurturing (in fact I have had no where near as much help as him)....

Wait that could be argument against genetics.

You share very similar genes to your brother. Basically you should have 90% the same genes.
Original post by Simplicity
Wait that could be argument against genetics.

You share very similar genes to your brother. Basically you should have 90% the same genes.

against genetics as such. But for being born with mathematical ability.

It is odd though, my brother is such a contrast from every member of my family (which would support nature that we all find maths relatively easy).
There are people who can learn maths and then there are people who understand maths

I only teach from Y7 but even at that point it is easy to distinguish between those that are naturally gifted and those who will be successful due to their hard work
nurtured.

i found gcse concepts hard at the time, but once i got onto A-Level i started to mature alot as a maths student.
Original post by Comm Tiger
I think most people have it in them to be decent at maths, I think perhaps a lot of kids develop a kind of fear of maths when we are young perhaps due to some kind of social stigma, for example I used to struggle with it, if I saw anything resembling algebra would brain would turn into fudge :P but now I've begun seeing the world though a logical and mathematical perception, and I find it a lot easier to "get" maths if you like, it actually makes sense.

So what do you think, an ability that everyone can develop if they learn how to perceive it or an ability only a part of the population can develop to more than a basic level?

I think it's probably a bit of both. For instance, if kid A is born with a 'natural' interest and ability with numbers, but his parents don't recognise it and do nothing to help him, he becomes pretty average at maths as a whole.
However, kid B is born with a natural interest and ability, his parents recognise it and send him to extra maths lessons, tutor him privately whilst making sure he still enjoys it, he will become a talented mathematician.

I'm 'naturally' pretty OK, but I never really enjoyed it or saw any potential to be better when I was younger, so I stayed average. I was in the bottom set at school for a while, and my teacher was awful so that kinda lowered my confidence, and I lost any remaining interest. I moved schools, and got a much better teacher in the top set, and I became interested in it again, so therefore worked harder. I'm now expected an A* at GCSE level, and considering Maths as an A level option.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
I think you can be talented at maths, but without encouragement, and nurturing, you can only go so far.
That's stupid as hell.

Mathematics is applying facts. Literally, I can reduce a hard problem of Maths with simple facts.

A good example is proving that if f:RSf:R \rightarrow S is an morphism, then R/kerfimfR/kerf \cong imf.

See this is way beyond most people and it's the type of question that is asked at uni. This is a second year university Maths proof question. Yet, it's easy. Have to prove it's well defined, kerf and imf are ideals and then finally it' gives a homeorphism. Clearly, it's a surjection because R gets map to imf. Really just need to prove injection, which is easy since if af=bf, then a-bf=0 so a-b in Kerf.

The point is the type of question your asked in uni is to prove easier things than this. Certainly, if there was something really hard they would give you the proof most of the time. Maybe, it's different in Cambridge/Oxbridge/Warwick.

Also, on methods. I'm taking a fourth year algebra course. I can probably get 70% just by memorizing the proofs in the notes. Knowing the definitions is probably sufficient to get 50%.

Anyway, STEP has nothing to do with bloody Maths. Glorified calculus test. Jan Sramek to me just seems like some idiot who works for Goldman sachs. You can't say he has Mathematical ability because he passed some joke test, which is what STEP is. Unless he proves something important he is just good at taking tests.

STEP is supposed to be an aptitude test hence designed to test Mathematical ability/thinking/potential. There's a reason why most students get thirds/seconds. Also, you can call it a joke test but I'd like to see your results with minimum revision on it.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
STEP is supposed to be an aptitude test hence designed to test Mathematical ability/thinking/potential. There's a reason why most students get thirds/seconds. Also, you can call it a joke test but I'd like to see your results with minimum revision on it.

So what. It's a joke test. I've got more important things to than do a glorified IQ test designed to test so called skills in A level Maths.

Actually 30% of students get first, 60% get a second.

Also, you really think STEP is relevant to university Mathematics. If so you are deluded as hell.

Seriously, how the hell is STEP relevant to third/fourth year Maths. It's bloody not.

I don't know maybe the kids who got S on STEP are better than fourth year Maths students. Maybe, Cambridge and Warwick are way beyond everywhere else that doesn't ask for STEP.

So what. It's a joke test. I've got more important things to than do a glorified IQ test designed to test so called skills in A level Maths.

Also, you really think STEP is relevant to university Mathematics. If so you are deluded as hell.

Seriously, how the hell is STEP relevant to third/fourth year Maths. It's bloody not.

I don't know maybe the kids who got S on STEP are better than fourth year Maths students. Maybe, Cambridge and Warwick are way beyond everywhere else that doesn't ask for STEP.

I didn't say STEP is relevant fourth year Maths. STEP is a test designed to test Mathematical aptitude.
Original post by Moiraclaire
against genetics as such. But for being born with mathematical ability.

It is odd though, my brother is such a contrast from every member of my family (which would support nature that we all find maths relatively easy).

How many sibling have you got?

On genetics. I have learning disability that made me in the bottom of most Maths classes until really last year of GCSEs.

Got a B in Maths since only did intermediate level. Failed A levels first time due to not working hard enough. So went F's to A's due to working really hard(literally got F in AS level Physics, then next year had predicated grade of B in Further Maths ended up getting AAA). Personally I think you probably work harder and smarter than your brother.

Maths is about thinking, he is an idiot from wasting his money on tutors and stuff.

P.S. If you Brother wants to retake GCSEs Maths tell your brother to make an account and PM me. PM don't work so should also post it in profile wall. But, personally I think the Maths tutor failed him and he failed himself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Nurtured
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
I didn't say STEP is relevant fourth year Maths. STEP is a test designed to test Mathematical aptitude.

No it's not.

See Mathematical aptitude isn't doing IMO or STEP problems. Why can't you idiots get that into your heads.

Anyway, do you do Maths? I doubt it.

Look at this pic I posted. A postgrad Maths course. This is what Mathematics is, this is what I would call Mathematical aptitude. This is due to understanding, definitions, theorems and proofs. Not bloody A level glorified test.

Anyway, no point arguing with you. Good luck with your A level Maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think the general intelligence needed to understand maths is genetic, whereas actually being good at it later on in life relies on nurture.
I'm lucky enough to have an intelligent Dad who encouraged me to practise maths loads when I was younger (E.g. He'd give me massive addition and subtraction sums taking up an entire page and I actually found it fun to work it out :biggrin: )
On the other hand, my Mum really struggles with academic stuff although technically she has been born with the general intelligence, she moved around a lot when she was younger because my Granddad was in the RAF so she never got a proper education.
How many sibling have you got?

On genetics. I have learning disability that made me in the bottom of most Maths classes until really last year of GCSEs.

Got a B in Maths since only did intermediate level. Failed A levels first time due to not working hard enough. So went F's to A's due to working really hard(literally got F in AS level Physics, then next year had predicated grade of B in Further Maths ended up getting AAA). Personally I think you probably work harder and smarter than your brother.

Maths is about thinking, he is an idiot from wasting his money on tutors and stuff.

P.S. If you Brother wants to retake GCSEs Maths tell your brother to make an account and PM me. PM don't work so should also post it in profile wall. But, personally I think the Maths tutor failed him and he failed himself.

He eventually got a C and that's the best you could hope for with him.

I only have 1 brother but like my aunties, uncles, cousins, grandparents are all pretty good at maths...

I don't work very hard at all. I just make sure I understand maths at the time & it just clicks together nicely.

But my brother lacks the ability to reapply logic to different situtations in maths. If you try and help him you can tell something is wrong. I remember realising when I was 6 and he was 9 that I could do addition & subtraction better than him already and at that point I had done no homework in life.... Yet he had been to Kumon for years
Reply 55
Original post by Comm Tiger
I think most people have it in them to be decent at maths, I think perhaps a lot of kids develop a kind of fear of maths when we are young perhaps due to some kind of social stigma, for example I used to struggle with it, if I saw anything resembling algebra would brain would turn into fudge :P but now I've begun seeing the world though a logical and mathematical perception, and I find it a lot easier to "get" maths if you like, it actually makes sense.

So what do you think, an ability that everyone can develop if they learn how to perceive it or an ability only a part of the population can develop to more than a basic level?

mix of both, my family are all good at maths, but i wasn't all that at it when i was young, but i then taught my self and i am like you...I also have begun to see the world though a logical perception

but i depends on the person if they re willing to learn baout maths, i know people who re good at it when they put the effort in :smile:
Definetly nurtured. I know this girl who got a C at GCSE and then ended up getting an A* at A level. When i asked her how she did it she told me it was through hard work.:biggrin:
Original post by darkshadow1111
Definetly nurtured. I know this girl who got a C at GCSE and then ended up getting an A* at A level. When i asked her how she did it she told me it was through hard work.:biggrin:

Getting an A* is not being mathematically able. The A-level can be mastered by practising past papers and memorising mark schemes, to the point where you remember what question needs what process, plug in the numbers and hey presto, full marks!
Reply 58
when i was about 10, my maths was very crap, i was lowest in the class and dint know nothing.

my parents sent me abroad for a few years.. the level of maths where i studied was intense, and i had to study an work as their was no option out of it. i noticed me getting better but the students in my year their were still way out of my league.

But when i came bak over here, i smashed it it was like a piece of cake i was doin the same thing in college over here which i done in year 8 back home. now when i do maths problems its like a language to me which kinda comes naturally algebra is just like adding up... but still i aint that good

There is a pretty strong correlation between step grades and degree class. Make of that what you will

Quick Reply

Latest