The Student Room Group

whats with the hate towards london nightlife?

thought it was meant to be the best? only people on this website have slated it so far in my experience

i live in manchester and i dont think its cheap for a night out..if you dont pre-drink it'll end up around 25-35 quid. drinks are expensive in bars aswell up to 8 quid for mixers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some places in London have the cheek to charge £20 entry.
Reply 2
A website full of muslims and nerds and muslim nerds is not the best place to source information regarding nightlife
Tbh EVERYWHERE is expensive now. Not just London. And because people who don't live there don't know where to go. They all rush to the commerical clubs in the west end and get their pockets emptied. If you want a cheap night out (if you go the right place) then go to East London. Tons of bars/clubs with loads of good music.
Reply 4
Original post by Notethis
A website full of muslims and nerds and muslim nerds is not the best place to source information regarding nightlife

:rofl3:
Reply 5
Too much beef. Too bloody expensive. And a ****ing mission to get home when the tube is closed.
People who are more wise to the London Nightclub culture will go places like, Camden, Angel and Shoreditch as opposed to Lsquare, Mayfair, Soho which are so overpriced and packed
If you're rich, the london nightlife is the best, full stop.
Reply 8
Original post by Birdman1234567
People who are more wise to the London Nightclub culture will go places like, Camden, Angel and Shoreditch as opposed to Lsquare, Mayfair, Soho which are so overpriced and packed

Seconded. I hate the ****ty commercial west end clubs and bars. Angel and east end :smile:
Some places in Edinburgh charge £6 a pint and £10 a cocktail and £15 entry too - it's just the way it is in some areas of the city. I think the reason people spend soooo much in London is that they're visitors and therefore go to the most popular and expensive streets. You can find cheaper clubs if you know where to go.
Original post by gozatron

Some even require a membership and special password to get in :rolleyes:. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather take in a nice show than throw £80 away on watered-down vodka and taxi fare.
Original post by Birdman1234567

I got called a hipster for going out in Shoreditch. I will agree with some of the things people have said here; some of the smaller clubs/bars are the best. Plastic People/93 Feet East <3
People overlook the clubs that don't cost £20 to get in and focus on the ones that do, like London students are actually going to go to them. There are a ton of clubs that are nothing like that expensive. The most I've ever paid to get into places on a night out is a £7 wristband getting me into the majority of clubs in Leicester square. Most are between £3-5, the cheapest I've been to is £1.50 and that one is probably my most regular club.

We also have a very cheap union and student pubs nearby. You just have to know where to go, like in any major city.

Plus I don't see how transport is an issue, even at 3am the major bus routes are still running about every 15 minutes - it's ridiculously good, where I'm from the buses would stop at midnight and taxis were extortionate.

Saying that, if you're not in the position to have student discounts it does make it quite expensive, I'm talking purely from the point of being at university there/visiting as a student.
Original post by dirtyoldriver
People overlook the clubs that don't cost £20 to get in and focus on the ones that do, like London students are actually going to go to them. There are a ton of clubs that are nothing like that expensive. The most I've ever paid to get into places on a night out is a £7 wristband getting me into the majority of clubs in Leicester square. Most are between £3-5, the cheapest I've been to is £1.50 and that one is probably my most regular club.

We also have a very cheap union and student pubs nearby. You just have to know where to go, like in any major city.

Plus I don't see how transport is an issue, even at 3am the major bus routes are still running about every 15 minutes - it's ridiculously good, where I'm from the buses would stop at midnight and taxis were extortionate.

Saying that, if you're not in the position to have student discounts it does make it quite expensive, I'm talking purely from the point of being at university there/visiting as a student.

its fine if you live in the inner boroughs, but getting back to outer London is very difficult at night. What is a straightforward 30-40 mins journey in the day is virtually impossible at night. Where I live, there is no tube station, the last overground train leaves central london just before midnight, the last bus leaves my nearest tube station at half 12, a taxi from there is £10 and a taxi from central is around £50-£60.
Reply 14
too expensive
Reply 15
Original post by gozatron

Yes, but students don't go there :lol:

I don't see the hate. Granted I go out primarily in Soho's gay bars, which tend to have free or nearly-free entrance (I don't think I've ever paid more than £4 to get into a club, and mostly it's free, or you can get a flyer or something), I tend to pre-drink, and where I go you can usually get a drink for a couple of quid. As long as you don't go out in the West End or something, it's really very cheap to go out.

Getting home can be a trek - it depends where you live - but the actual being out itself, not so much.
Reply 16
Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds are better places for student party lifestyles.

London is a rip off.
Reply 17
It's all about Moonies/ Vodpop Mondays, Roxy Wednesdays, Proud Thursdays and where ever the hell has an offer on Fridays. No self respecting student goes out in London at the weekends, that's when clubs are full price...ludicrous.
People don't like the nightlife in London!? It's amazing...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
For the 'capital city of the world', I find most clubs and bars in London shut far too early! You can hardly find anywhere open past 1am on a week night!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending