The Student Room Group

Harvard Referencing

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but since I can't find anywhere else I shall post here...

I have an essay due this Thursday (so not a lot of time left) and I have to reference using the Harvard system. I've never had to use this system before and I'm a little confused about how I go about doing it correcly.
I have googled and read through a few pages but I'm still not sure, any advice very much welcome :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by sparkly_woo
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but since I can't find anywhere else I shall post here...

I have an essay due this Thursday (so not a lot of time left) and I have to reference using the Harvard system. I've never had to use this system before and I'm a little confused about how I go about doing it correcly.
I have googled and read through a few pages but I'm still not sure, any advice very much welcome :smile:

Thanks

I could send you the guide my university uses for this if you would like?
Reply 2
This is a pretty good guide because it has lots of examples of how to cite in text and compile the reference list at the end for lots of different types of sources. : http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm
Different colleges/universities sometimes use their own variants of this system, so it might be worth checking your uni's website/student handbook first.
Original post by heidigirl
This is a pretty good guide because it has lots of examples of how to cite in text and compile the reference list at the end for lots of different types of sources. : http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm

This. I've been at uni for over 5 years and i still have to pop back to that document every now and then to check i'm doing it right.
Reply 5
I'd second the replies on the thread that recommend checking with your university who usually publish their own referencing guide.
Reply 6
Thanks for all the replies. I had a quick look on my uni's website and I found a pretty good video that talks through the harvard system.
I think I've got it :biggrin:

Thanks again for the help.
Reply 7
Here's a question.

I have a book by two editors. In the book, there are different chapters by different contributors. Right, so having read that Anglia link, I have to cite THE CONTRIBUTOR and not the editors... is that the same in the bibliography? What if I use several of the chapters? Do I cite the same source several times, with the only difference being the chapter and contributor (they're all the same date: 2008)

I've never done it like that before! Am I right? Uuurghghhhh
Just to note there's a thing in Microsoft word which does citations for you.

Just go to References>Insert Citation, set it up for the Harvard system and then the format of the source and type in the details
Reply 9
Original post by Smeggles
Here's a question.

I have a book by two editors. In the book, there are different chapters by different contributors. Right, so having read that Anglia link, I have to cite THE CONTRIBUTOR and not the editors... is that the same in the bibliography? What if I use several of the chapters? Do I cite the same source several times, with the only difference being the chapter and contributor (they're all the same date: 2008)

I've never done it like that before! Am I right? Uuurghghhhh

In text, yes, you would cite the chapter author. Say, for example, the person who wrote the chapter is called John Smith and the editors of the book are called Robert Jones and David McDonald (names make it easier to explain who cares what they're called :tongue:), in the bibliography it would appear as follows:

Smith, J. (date) 'Chapter title' in Jones, R. and McDonald, D. (eds) Book Title. Place of publication: publisher, pp. 39-53

Does that make sense? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by aeterno
In text, yes, you would cite the chapter author. Say, for example, the person who wrote the chapter is called John Smith and the editors of the book are called Robert Jones and David McDonald (names make it easier to explain who cares what they're called :tongue:), in the bibliography it would appear as follows:

Smith, J. (date) 'Chapter title' in Jones, R. and McDonald, D. (eds) Book Title. Place of publication: publisher, pp. 39-53

Does that make sense? :smile:

It does actually, oh you WONDERFUL person! I have but a few more questions if I may :tongue:

The first is this: I have to use AT LEAST 5 academic texts.. if I use several of these chapters, is that several or one?

My second and final question.. ! How do I cite the preface? Do I just treat that like I would a chapter? I love prefaces, they round up all the information beautifully haha
Reply 11
Original post by Smeggles
It does actually, oh you WONDERFUL person! I have but a few more questions if I may :tongue:

The first is this: I have to use AT LEAST 5 academic texts.. if I use several of these chapters, is that several or one?

My second and final question.. ! How do I cite the preface? Do I just treat that like I would a chapter? I love prefaces, they round up all the information beautifully haha

Strictly speaking, yes, they count separately, but your tutors might think you're being a bit lazy :tongue: Obviously if you have several chapters of the same book (and they're all relevant) PLUS loads of other references, it's not a problem. What subject are you doing? It honestly isn't that hard to find at least 5 different academic books/articles to reference. :smile:

Probably not the best idea citing the preface :tongue: Just find the relevant chapter and paraphrase or quote what you find there. Tip: the index is your best friend - saves far more time than falling asleep in a book because you can't find what you want :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by aeterno
Strictly speaking, yes, they count separately, but your tutors might think you're being a bit lazy :tongue: Obviously if you have several chapters of the same book (and they're all relevant) PLUS loads of other references, it's not a problem. What subject are you doing? It honestly isn't that hard to find at least 5 different academic books/articles to reference. :smile:

Probably not the best idea citing the preface :tongue: Just find the relevant chapter and paraphrase or quote what you find there. Tip: the index is your best friend - saves far more time than falling asleep in a book because you can't find what you want :tongue:

Yeah I have quite a few, they all say basically the same thing! I'm doing media, the essay is "quality television is best described by what it is not. It is not regular TV. discuss in relation to a drama of your choice"

And yes, the index is wonderful! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending