The Student Room Group

sociology exam 12th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Was there a june/may exam for families and households last year?
Reply 21
Original post by sallylo
Thanks so much! There was a past paper and it had a question on the consequences of the fall in death rate and it said on the mark scheme to refer to the Griffiths Report, Hirsch, McKeown, Townsend. I really want some notes on what they said/argued refering to the consequences of a fall in death rate.

What textbook did you use to find what Hirsch said? please reply asap! Thanks again!

Hola!! I find mark schemes invaluable to find out some good studies! :smile: I can generally outline those for you

Hirsch- said that there will be 'equal blocks' whereby there will be as many 7 year olds as there are 68 year olds. Hirsch also said there will need to be a change in social policy, for example, more skills will have to be taught to older people to keep them in employment, housing policies will have to change, such as a down grading system to make room for younger people. In addition to this, we will have to change our opinions according to Hirsch, especially about source distribution as age is defined as a socially constructed time of life.

Mckeowen said that nutrition helped death rates to decrease, as it improved resistance

Townshed stated that ageism, the negative stereotyping of someone due to age, is because of state policies, such as the retirement process. Townshed believed that because of retirement, old people are literally 'forced' in to poverty, and to live off benefits

I found this all out using the Rob Webb sociology revision guide. It has a orange cover. Definitely gonna buy myself a copy instead of robbing my teachers copy! haha. It's a great book.
Reply 22
Original post by fhar2248
hey, i have been told numerous times that a essay question on feminism is going to come up - i also went through past papers and last year it was marxist and year before was about functionalists. and also you have laods to talk about with feminism e.g. domestic violonce, Ansleys "takers of ****", division of labour, supporting the rise of women etc

I really hope you're right! As I am quite confident in answering a feminist question.
:smile:
Reply 23
last year in the june exam my friend sat the exam an said it was on feminism so i doubt it may come up.
Reply 24
What dyu think the questions for the 24 marker might be this year, any ideas ?
Reply 25
Cant be for sure but for one of the 24 marks perhaps birth rates /death rates wil come up as recently its been on family patterns...and for the other 24 mark question i have no clue at all but maybe marxist because it came up in jan of 2010
The June Question was assess the contribution of feminist sociologists to an understanding of family roles and relationships.
does anyone have the unit 1 june 2011 paper??
and also, i've been told that its likely family diversity and social policies will come up.. cos it hasnt so far. im not sure about this, but i seriously hope they dont! :frown: theyre the harder ones to me lol. feminism may be okay i guess..
Reply 27
Do u think a 24 mark question will come up on migration?
hmm i doubt it..there's not much to write about. it may come up as a 6 mark or 4 mark question.
Reply 29
Original post by ChooChooCherry

Original post by ChooChooCherry
hmm i doubt it..there's not much to write about. it may come up as a 6 mark or 4 mark question.

I know the 24 mark questions for june was on divorce and feminism but not sure of the exact question? Sorry :smile:
Reply 30
i doubt death rates will come up beacuse the may 2010 paper was to 'Examine the reasons for, and the consequences of, the fall in the death rate since 1900' :/ unless they ask a similar question
Reply 31
Yes perhaps social policies it hasnt come up for 24 mark as it came up in the jan 2010
try this
http://www.slideshare.net/sociologyexchange.co.uk/sociologyexchangecouk-shared-resource-10741919
Reply 32
There's like atleast a couple of topics that have not come up, or atleast not specifically been examined on. Like modernism and postmodernity, changing family patterns (parents and children) impact of paid work maybe? Not sure if that one has actually been or not..
Social policy isn't tooo bad, I'd rather want that then something with family diversity. Oh well, we can only hope. :smile:
Reply 33
modernism and postmodernity is it even on the spec?
Reply 34
Original post by ruby_v
modernism and postmodernity is it even on the spec?

Is it not? I'm sure it is, or else we've just learnt it for no reason :s
I doubt my teacher would just make us learn about it, and its also in the books under Families and Households..so, have you not learnt about it?
Reply 35
Nope havent learnt it, not in the sociology book either :s
Reply 36
Original post by ruby_v
Nope havent learnt it, not in the sociology book either :s

Hmm, now thats just confusing.
Is it just me whose done this topic or anyone else here done it too?
Gonna have to check spec, books & past papers again tomorrow then! :biggrin:
Original post by Sana210693
Yes perhaps social policies it hasnt come up for 24 mark as it came up in the jan 2010
try this
http://www.slideshare.net/sociologyexchange.co.uk/sociologyexchangecouk-shared-resource-10741919

Thanks for that !!!!!

I think that it will be a Functionlists vs Marxisim , dont know why have a funny feeling ! sigh just wished Divorce came up - its the easyest thing!!!!
Reply 38
Original post by Myda
Hmm, now thats just confusing.
Is it just me whose done this topic or anyone else here done it too?
Gonna have to check spec, books & past papers again tomorrow then! :biggrin:

I've done post-modernism and modernism. Not really much to cover there though from what my class was taught.
Reply 39
Is there a lot to do on decision making?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending