The Student Room Group

dropping a subject?

hiya, im currently taking physics, IT and biology in my first year of sixth form, but biology is becoming to much of a struggle. i would like to join the fleet air arm or the RAF and become a pilot, and it only requires two A-levels, but i dont think i can manage 3 subjects, i would like to focus on 2. So do you recon the school would let me drop biology and only take 2 subjects? Or if there is any tips or advice on what to do and how to help me get through my two years would be great. :biggrin:

Thankyou, Liam
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't see why not, as they'd rather they're students get the best outcome they can from you, or it looks bad on them.
Every place is different, but i'm hesitant in your case because your at a school sixthform - if you were in a standard college, I wouldn't have thought it would have been an issue in the slightest. Are you at a grammar school sixthform? That may well change things too.

I would advise you talk to your head of year as soon as you get back to discuss options. I assume you'll be sitting an exam in January, so I think they might encourage you to see how you do in that exam, before making a decision.

You have to make it clear that it's not because your lazy, but because you've thought about your career path, are set on it, and want to do the best for that: my school always seems to think the minute we want to drop something, it's because we cba and not because we're physically incapable of doing it...mind you, who wants to do critical thinking on top of 4 other as levels? Don't go outright with "I want to drop it," - start on the whole, I'm struggling, this is my chosen career path, what do you suggest? maybe hint that you wouldn't mind dropping it.

Long story short: discuss with head of year ASAP
Reply 2
thanks ameelia :smile: im back in school on wednesday and ill have a word with the head of year. thanks alot, really helpful :biggrin:
Reply 3
Any time! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest