The Student Room Group

Failing first 4 modules at university

Does this happen a lot in first year at university?

I just wondering does it happen a lot and if it does happen can people pick it back up next semester?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not sure if they do this everywhere, but when I was doing my first degree, the university put an upper limit on the amount of modules you can resit unless you have mitigating circumstances.
Reply 2
You might still have to retake the whole year (depending on how your uni works) regardless of whether you do well this semester or not.

Anyway, yes it's possible to pick it back up but this largely depends on why you failed. If it's because you were lazy/didn't bother handing things in/whatever, it's definitely doable. If you had mitigating circumstances, yes, if you're overcoming whatever the problem was. If this was you working hard...well, there's still a tiny possibility but nothing's certain.
Reply 3
Original post by ITGIRL
Does this happen a lot in first year at university?

I don't want to make excuses for why i didn't learn but just wondering does it happen a lot and if it does happen can people pick it back up next semester?

At my uni if you fail one module then you have to resit before you can advance to the next year... let alone 4 modules!
Reply 4
Original post by Shelly_x
At my uni if you fail one module then you have to resit before you can advance to the next year... let alone 4 modules!

sorry i meant second semester. I meant if i was to fail the 4 modules next week would i be able to carry on to second semester. Pass them exams and then do the re-takes in august which i will hopefully pass?

Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by ITGIRL
Why do you say that? :frown: and no i was just being lazy lol

Read your guidelines before being lazy then :tongue: It is possible that you'll have to retake the whole year if you fail your core modules (you may have the chance to resit in August taken away from you if your uni feels like it). Just check what resit policies are and go from there.
Reply 6
Original post by ITGIRL
Sorry. There was more to it then being lazy lol Re-taking a year isn't a option lool Surely if you fail the core modules you should be given the option of re-take? I'm seriously pissed of that my university doesn't have any information on re-takes online and my personal tutor takes a month to answer lool :/

I know that i can catch up :/

It really does depend on how your uni works wrt summer resits. Have you actually failed yet or do you still have exams to do? If you have still got exams then just revise, revise, revise and make sure you don't fail!
Reply 7
Original post by ITGIRL
sorry i meant second semester. I meant if i was to fail the 4 modules next week would i be able to carry on to second semester. Pass them exams and then do the re-takes in august which i will hopefully pass?

Thank you

If you haven't taken your exams then start revision hard. Even if they do allow you to resit in august then it will most likely be capped at 40%.
Reply 8
Resits are usually in the summer. You can really pick it up. You need to pass all the others so you only have the 4 to resit.
But even if you dont, first year doesnt count, but get out of the lazy habit for second semester.
Reply 9
which uni is it, which course?
Reply 10
Original post by aeterno
It really does depend on how your uni works wrt summer resits. Have you actually failed yet or do you still have exams to do? If you have still got exams then just revise, revise, revise and make sure you don't fail!

No i haven't failed yet but i know i will fail at least 2 subjects. I'm revising extremely hard its all i do ever day now.

Original post by Shelly_x
If you haven't taken your exams then start revision hard. Even if they do allow you to resit in august then it will most likely be capped at 40%.

I don't mind the capping first year is only 11.9%

Original post by Daaani
Resits are usually in the summer. You can really pick it up. You need to pass all the others so you only have the 4 to resit.
But even if you dont, first year doesnt count, but get out of the lazy habit for second semester.

I hate this feeling, and it will never happen again. I have emailed my department hoping for a response before the exam but doubtful. It wasn't just lazyness as i said before.

Original post by lucas13
which uni is it, which course?

why?

and thank you all for the response :smile:

:/ cause if i don't get the option of re take then there is no reason to continue at university :/
look on the bright side - if you are going to **** up then first semester of first year is the time to do it. The marks you get this year will not contribute towards your final classification, and you have the option to resit modules in the summer, or the entire year. If your uni is like mine was, you will not get this option in your remaining years - whatever marks you get then, you're stuck with them.
Reply 12
cuz at a harder university your more likely to fail even if you try hard.
Reply 13
first year doesn't count towards final mark.
Reply 14
Original post by lucas13
first year doesn't count towards final mark.

i think it does at my uni
Reply 15
Original post by lucas13
cuz at a harder university your more likely to fail even if you try hard.

It's funny how life works aite? :/
Reply 16
what uni is it, most unis don't count it.
Reply 17
Original post by aeterno
Read your guidelines before being lazy then :tongue: .

What a clever deduction. Mind telling me which school did you go to? :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by ITGIRL
KCL

I didn't try lol even studying now i get the materiel i just don't have enough time to cover it all and have full understanding.

What course do you do?
I found some info on resitting if you fail, but i think it will depend on your course. Do you have a course handbook which you can refer to?
At my university you have to pass every module (40%+) in order to progress to second year. If you fail a module you're asked to resit during summer, but if you've failed several modules I believe you're asked to resit the whole year as you're struggling to keep up with the workload/understand the content (unless you have extenuating circumstances).

Have a chat with your personal tutor, they will know the policy regarding resits. It's unlikely the uni will kick you out for failing modules during your first semester, you should be able to finish the year but will be asked to resit the failed modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending