The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by dbmag9
I'm not a lawyer, but the constantly-in-the-library stereotype does seem to be fairly true (not to say they don't have social lives - they get wined and dined by various firms constantly, and most of the ones I know go out a lot). No idea about mooting, sorry.

That sounds reasonable. In terms of the social side, is there much going out in London, considering its only an hour away?
Reply 61
Original post by chookieman
That sounds reasonable. In terms of the social side, is there much going out in London, considering its only an hour away?

Not that I've seen; it's an hour by train, but given most students' budgets (and the time of day) the Oxford Tube is more realistic, which is more like 90 minutes or more. If people do go out in London it's probably more as a special occasion or to a specific night; Oxford nightlife isn't actually that bad generally speaking, and termtime is so crammed with stuff that it's hard to leave at all.

Relatedly, I've heard that one of the rugby drinking game penalties is to take the Oxford Tube to London, get a photo with the day's newspaper and return. :p:
Reply 62
I have a place for biomed at St John's. I live in islands in the far north of scotland, so i really wanna know if there's anywhere to store stuff during holidays?

Also, What do you during your 28 week of holiday? i.e. do you get set loads of work?

Is it easy to do summer projects or research in Oxford? i.e. does uni/college support you if you wanna work in a department for the summer?

Will I need to buy a suit?
Reply 63
Original post by candide
I have a place for biomed at St John's. I live in islands in the far north of scotland, so i really wanna know if there's anywhere to store stuff during holidays?

Also, What do you during your 28 week of holiday? i.e. do you get set loads of work?

Is it easy to do summer projects or research in Oxford? i.e. does uni/college support you if you wanna work in a department for the summer?

Will I need to buy a suit?

You might be able to use some of the storage meant for internationals, but it'll depend on the college. Best of luck doing that journey 6 times a year. :p:

As for vacations (the Oxford word, because while you vacate your rooms you're not really on holiday in theory) there's work but also consolidation; in termtime you work so fast you don't get time to properly take things in before moving to the next thing, so vacations mean a lot of revision (I say this having done no work this vacation yet :eek: ). One of our tutors said we should be working at 2/3 termtime rate in vacations, but I don't think anyone sticks to that.

As for summer projects, I'd imagine you'd get support if it was something valuable and it wouldn't interfere with your studies, but I don't know much about it.

You'll need a dark suit for academic dress (along with white shirt, white bow tie, mortarboard and gown) which you wear at matriculation (when you start) and exams. I'm not certain but I'd imagine St John's are relatively strict with dress for formal hall, which is usually suit/tie/gown, but is generally optional. Oxford has a lot of opportunities for formalwear, but besides subfusc nothing's actually compulsory.
No questions right now, but just wanted to say thanks for this- it's really reassuring! :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by Your New Shoes
No questions right now, but just wanted to say thanks for this- it's really reassuring! :smile:

Aww, boring. Make up a ridiculous/inappropriate/amusing question. :yep:
This question's really random, but I was wondering: how good do you need to be to get into the university orchestras? (I play viola.)

Looking for the 'most pointless question to have before you've even got the grades' award.
Reply 67
Original post by Katickle
This is probably going to sound really stupid and I doubt I'll even be applying to Oxford but I have always wanted to know this.

On prospectuses, the grass always looks perfect, no matter what part of the university is in the picture. Like nobody has ever set foot on it. Is it frowned upon to walk across it?

Come to St Hugh's, where rolling on the grass is thoroughly encouraged and you wont be hit by a sniper unlike at some colleges :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by anyone_can_fly
This question's really random, but I was wondering: how good do you need to be to get into the university orchestras? (I play viola.)

Looking for the 'most pointless question to have before you've even got the grades' award.

I will leave this one to someone who knows more about it; I know there are orchestras at most levels though, non-auditioning all the way up to a really high standard. Also, consider all viola jokes made. :p:

Original post by Cariie
Come to St Hugh's, where rolling on the grass is thoroughly encouraged and you wont be hit by a sniper unlike some colleges :tongue:

You have to collapse on the grass after the trek to get there, that's the only reason. :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by dbmag9
You have to collapse on the grass after the trek to get there, that's the only reason. :yep:

Don't scare off the applicants! :frown: We're not that far honest :colondollar:
Reply 70
Original post by Cariie

I was interviewed there and it is a fair walk away... Everyone was very friendly though :smile: Not mad on the pastel sofas in the jcr...
Reply 71
*subscribes

may post questions later
Reply 72
Original post by Cariie

Original post by crazychef
I was interviewed there and it is a fair walk away... Everyone was very friendly though :smile: Not mad on the pastel sofas in the jcr...

I had to run there for interview once, it was not fun. Then spent five minutes trying to find the actual entrance. :p:

Applicants: nothing in Oxford is actually far; within two weeks of arriving a 15-minute walk genuinely seems like a massive trek.
(edited 12 years ago)
Can any Chemists (or other scientists) comment on how much time there is to pursue ECs? With a very structured day there isn't really any time for them during the day.

Mainly looking at sports tbh, Rowing and Football/Cricket. I know Rowing is early morning so that won't clash, but for other sports does training tend to be in the evening/weekends or will it be during the day, which would clash with lectures/labs etc.?
Original post by dbmag9
I had to run there for interview once, it was not fun. Then spent five minutes trying to find the actual entrance. :p:

Applicants: nothing in Oxford is actually far; within two weeks of arriving a 15-minute walk genuinely seems like a massive trek.

When I had an interview at St Hugh's, Merton paid for a taxi. :cool: (Which instrument do you play? I need to know which jokes to say back.)
Reply 75
Original post by fudgesundae
Can any Chemists (or other scientists) comment on how much time there is to pursue ECs? With a very structured day there isn't really any time for them during the day.

Mainly looking at sports tbh, Rowing and Football/Cricket. I know Rowing is early morning so that won't clash, but for other sports does training tend to be in the evening/weekends or will it be during the day, which would clash with lectures/labs etc.?

The impression I get, though I don't know about sports that much specifically, is that ECs are all scheduled for weekends/evenings, so unless you get tutorials later than most people it shouldn't clash. I guess that might change if you get to a really high level, but I'm pretty sure people from all subjects manage.

Original post by anyone_can_fly
When I had an interview at St Hugh's, Merton paid for a taxi. :cool: (Which instrument do you play? I need to know which jokes to say back.)

My Hugh's interview was way back when I applied to Worcester, who are not so generous. I used to play piano and cello, but I haven't played them properly for years.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by samfreak
does the accommodation have baths?

I have come across very few baths so far - my sister's staircase has one, safe to say no one uses it (though they may be tempted if it wasn't so unused and dusty...) and showers are nearly always around too... apart from one staircase she told me about, where the sole washing facilities are two baths, side by side in a room.

Nice.
Original post by dbmag9
The impression I get, though I don't know about sports that much specifically, is that ECs are all scheduled for weekends/evenings, so unless you get tutorials later than most people it shouldn't clash. I guess that might change if you get to a really high level, but I'm pretty sure people from all subjects manage.

Nice thanks, I was getting slightly worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up my sport. Kind of makes sense though, if you have stuff during the middle of the day it automatically rules out quite a large chunk of the student body from attending.
Original post by fudgesundae

My boyfriend's a first year chemist, he has enough time for the sports he wants to do (though ended up dropping one as it took too much time, he was supposed to go at least three or four evenings a week, so it can be a factor sometimes). Us scientists never get to any of the day things... I know many scientists who row in the mornings, and most sports I know (any that are remorely serious) have day and evening sessions so you can attend at least one, usually more, a week. And usually a weekend one too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Definitely subscribing to this thread.

Anyone doing English, how many hours a week do you work on average?

Quick Reply

Latest