The Student Room Group

Law 03 AQA 25th Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jellybeany
This is great thanks :smile:

Happy to help!
Reply 41
Couldn't find these online, so hopefully this should help anyone doing the exam. Law 02 and Law 03 from June 2011. Sorry I don't have the examiner's reports.

One thing I'd like to ask the community is the best way to approach a s47 offence in terms of identifying actual bodily harm. I used to think that one should use Miller 1954 ("harm that is more than transient or trifling...affects the health and wellbeing of the victim"), but in one examiner's report, they call this a 'questionable definition', preferring Chan-Fook 1994, which I would only use if the abh is related to the mind.

To say "cuts and bruises is likely s47, as Chan-Fook lists harm to the skin and flesh as ABH" is like saying "pricking another with a needle is s20, as JCC v Eisenhower says wounding requires both layers of skin to be broken". My point is the Chan-Fook definition is a lot wider than the Miller one and even though it is more modern, it doesn't seem useful. If harm to the skin constitutes ABH, who's to say a pinch is not s47? What is harm according to Chan-Fook?

Can anyone clarify?

In regards to evaluation/reform, I'm nervous too. Our class has sort of skipped over it, despite it comprising a guaranteed third of the exam. Do law examiners award out-of-box thinking or are they looking for prepared answers copied from the textbook?
Hi guys,

Just seen something that I thought I'd comment on. Question 3 should be the easiest one to answer as it is just regurgitation of information. So it can either be Evaluation and Reforms of..

Murder
Voluntary Manslaughter
Non-Fatals or
Defences..

In June 2011 it was Non-Fatals, January 2011 Defences and in June 2010 it was Non-fatals again.. So I'm thinking that the question won't be on Non-fatals or defences as it would be following a pattern. I believe it as a very high chance of it being either Murder or Voluntary Manslaughter (Maybe together).. Don't quote me on this, but I'm not doing much work on Non-fatals as I believe it wont come up for a 3rd time in 4 papers.. But who knows..

Anyone else got any theories?

Hope this helps anyways :smile:
Reply 43
It may be hard to evaluate something that's just recently been updated and improved. I can't think of any strong issues to do with voluntary manslaughter now that the CJA is in force. Unless, the question requires us to evaluate the changes its made.
Original post by drspa44
It may be hard to evaluate something that's just recently been updated and improved. I can't think of any strong issues to do with voluntary manslaughter now that the CJA is in force. Unless, the question requires us to evaluate the changes its made.

I think that there might be a high chance of this happening because it has just been updated. I don't think that they would require you to mention what updates have been made or anything just the evaluation material from the textbooks. My teacher said that she thinks that Voluntary Manslaughter might come up because it has just been changed.. I'm not sure though. :smile:
Reply 45
I think it'll be either murder/ vol man or the defences.
Really hoping non fatal will come up though cus i think its the easiest!

Writing a practise murder evaluation now. Hating it.
Original post by Jellybeany
I think it'll be either murder/ vol man or the defences.
Really hoping non fatal will come up though cus i think its the easiest!

Writing a practise murder evaluation now. Hating it.

I really can't see it being Non-Fatals.. Hope it is though. I'm with you on this one I think it will be Voluntary Manslaughter with Murder or just Vol Manslaughter on its own.. But I dunno its a tough one to predict.
Reply 47
Original post by lorab
If there's a question and you can see that it's not involuntary manslaughter (unlawful act manslaughter or gross negligence manslaughter)* because the defendant has the mens rea for murder (malice aforethought, express (intention to kill) or implied (intention to cause serious harm))* you first identify, define, explain and apply murder to the scenario. Then identify whether either defence of loss of control or of diminished responsibility is present. If one of them is you identify, define, explain and apply it to the scenario, explaining that this would mean that the defendant was convicted of voluntary manslaughter instead of murder.

*Sorry for the little notes, I'm not implying you don't know anything! I'm just trying to be clear and I don't know if I've been taught in the same way as you!

Hope this helps!

Thanks!:smile: If a scenario said: Dicuss the libaility of A for the murder of B, it doesn't necessarily mean talk about murder right? It could be involuntary manslaughter?

Also, loss of self control - is that if someone shouted at me and I lost my temper? :s-smilie:
Reply 48
Original post by Theturnbull9
I think that there might be a high chance of this happening because it has just been updated. I don't think that they would require you to mention what updates have been made or anything just the evaluation material from the textbooks. My teacher said that she thinks that Voluntary Manslaughter might come up because it has just been changed.. I'm not sure though. :smile:

But what's there to evaluate? Nearly everything's fixed! :confused:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/lawcommission/docs/lc304_Murder_Manslaughter_and_Infanticide_Report_easyread.pdf

They should make a children's book out of this! ^
Reply 49
Bloody life saver. been trying to track these down for ages. has any one got a model answer for the reforms of murder/involountry man slaughter i have many notes but cant seem to put them all together in one quality essay?

thanks
Reply 50
Original post by drspa44
Couldn't find these online, so hopefully this should help anyone doing the exam. Law 02 and Law 03 from June 2011. Sorry I don't have the examiner's reports.

One thing I'd like to ask the community is the best way to approach a s47 offence in terms of identifying actual bodily harm. I used to think that one should use Miller 1954 ("harm that is more than transient or trifling...affects the health and wellbeing of the victim"), but in one examiner's report, they call this a 'questionable definition', preferring Chan-Fook 1994, which I would only use if the abh is related to the mind.

To say "cuts and bruises is likely s47, as Chan-Fook lists harm to the skin and flesh as ABH" is like saying "pricking another with a needle is s20, as JCC v Eisenhower says wounding requires both layers of skin to be broken". My point is the Chan-Fook definition is a lot wider than the Miller one and even though it is more modern, it doesn't seem useful. If harm to the skin constitutes ABH, who's to say a pinch is not s47? What is harm according to Chan-Fook?

Can anyone clarify?

In regards to evaluation/reform, I'm nervous too. Our class has sort of skipped over it, despite it comprising a guaranteed third of the exam. Do law examiners award out-of-box thinking or are they looking for prepared answers copied from the textbook?

AHHHH i've been looking for the June 2011 paper, thanks! How did u get hold of them? Could do with the June 2011 PP's for another exam! :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by blue_
Thanks!:smile: If a scenario said: Dicuss the libaility of A for the murder of B, it doesn't necessarily mean talk about murder right? It could be involuntary manslaughter?

Also, loss of self control - is that if someone shouted at me and I lost my temper? :s-smilie:

Unfortunately we won't get questions like that.. that was the old specification. Our questions are now phrased as 'Discuss the liability for A with regard to the incidents concerning B' or something to that effect.

The way I have been taught is that if someone has died you need to first decide is it murder or involuntary manslaughter.. i.e. does the defendant have the mens rea for murder or not? If they do, discuss murder and then raise a possible defence of either loss of control or diminished responsibility, which results is a conviction of voluntary manslaughter instead of murder. If they don't, make a decision based on the scenario and discuss either unlawful act manslaughter or gross negligence manslaughter and a general defence if there is one available.

Loss of control is where the defendant must lose control (Ahluwalia) as a result of a qualifying trigger (fear of violence (Martin (Anthony)) or things said/done which constituted circumstances of an extremely grave character and caused the defendant to have a justifiable sense of being wronged (Doughty), sexual infidelity and acts of revenge are not qualifying triggers (Ibrams and Gregory)) and a person of the same sex and age would have reacted in the same way in the same situation (Camplin). The circumstances of the defendant may also be taken into account when assessing how a 'normal' person would have reacted (Hill) (Gregson) and if the jury believe a normal person would have lost control but would not have reacted in the same way the defence will fail (Van Dongen).

Hope this makes things clearer for you :h:
Reply 52
Original post by blue_
AHHHH i've been looking for the June 2011 paper, thanks! How did u get hold of them? Could do with the June 2011 PP's for another exam! :smile:

You're welcome. Any teacher with an account for the exam board's website should be able to get any past paper, MS or report.
Reply 53
I have to ask, would voluntary manslaughter really come up for the evaluation? It's just been reformed, and we've basically done nothing on it for evaluation in class. Considering they want an evaluation of it plus reform I don't see how that would work.
Defences/non-fatal/Murder should be fine, we've just barely done voluntary manslaughter XD hoping defences or non-fatal offences come up though.

I have to say, I'm really looking forwards to this exam o.o we got a new law teacher this year and she's really made remembering it all easier because we all have a giggle about some of the cases. Sounds a bit morbid but it still helps remembering them :P
I haven't started revising for this exam! Panic!!!
Reply 55
Really don't know what evaulation will come up! Non-fatals has come up (twice?) and the others once each? (I think) Anyone have any guesses as to what they predict MIGHT come up?!
Original post by blue_

Original post by blue_
Really don't know what evaulation will come up! Non-fatals has come up (twice?) and the others once each? (I think) Anyone have any guesses as to what they predict MIGHT come up?!

i think murder on its own might come up as its only come up with vol once before
its possible that general defences wont come up as that came up last year
Original post by Executioner

Original post by Executioner
I haven't started revising for this exam! Panic!!!

you've got about 5 days, it can be done! :biggrin:
Original post by messy_teardrops
you've got about 5 days, it can be done! :biggrin:

Thanks for the motivation :smile: . I'm going to work day and night for this exam! :biggrin:
Reply 59
Jan-12 ?????
Jun-11 Non-fatal
Jan-11 Defences
Jun-10 Non-fatal
Jan-10 Murder
Specimen Non-fatal

I am guessing it will be on murder and voluntary manslaughter. There are a few problems with VM and some centres still teach with the old textbook, so you may be credited for talking about the previous criticisms (such as provocation is too liberal, no delay/final straw allowed). My answer to would be:

The law on murder and voluntary manslaughter have been subjected to frequent criticism.
Explain and discuss these criticisms, and suggest what reforms might be desirable.

Murder:
Self-defence that goes slightly too far (cases Martin, Clegg).
Is a life sentence necessary?
Mens rea scope may be too wide.

Voluntary manslaughter:
DR: semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit (google it).

Reform:
Details of the 2006 Law Commission report.
Self-defence as a partial defence.

The VM section is pretty small, but even if AQA mark it in three parts, Sound+Sound+Some=23/25. Alternatively, the question could possibly be in a different format altogether. They aren't bound to the current format and they never like marking prepared answers. Perhaps the question will be 'critically evaluate the law on which [the scenario character] is accused of', requiring a broader response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending