AS Psychology: Internal and External validity??? Watch

Implo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My textbook is useless it doesn't tell you about them, I know what ecological validity is but is that internal or external?

And most importantly what are internal and external validity?!
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From what i remember this is what they are. im like 95% sure

Internal validity- whether the experiment measures/tests what it is supposed to measure.
I.e. if the experimenter wants to know how cocaine affects brain function, using caffeine instead or making someone watch a video of themsleves get high whilst measuring brain function has low internal validity.

External Validity and Ecological validity are similar, but different.

A study has external validity when you know you can generalise the findings to other situations.
I.e. if you wanted to know how cocain affects brain function, only measuring brain function in addicts means that you cannot generalise to first time users or occasional users.

Ecological Validity is a form of external validity, concerned with whether results cannot be generalised to "real life" situations because of testing in a lab.
Clareicles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
From what i remember this is what they are. im like 95% sure

Internal validity- whether the experiment measures/tests what it is supposed to measure.
I.e. if the experimenter wants to know how cocaine affects brain function, using caffeine instead or making someone watch a video of themsleves get high whilst measuring brain function has low internal validity.

External Validity and Ecological validity are similar, but different.

A study has external validity when you know you can generalise the findings to other situations.
I.e. if you wanted to know how cocain affects brain function, only measuring brain function in addicts means that you cannot generalise to first time users or occasional users.

Ecological Validity is a form of external validity, concerned with whether results cannot be generalised to "real life" situations because of testing in a lab.
Speaking as a teacher of Psychology - spot on - well done :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (40)
26.67%
No (110)
73.33%

Watched Threads