The Student Room Group

Help I just swallowed a little metal ball

Ok so I was playing around with these little metal balls I got for Christmas (they're like these stress relief thingys) and I accidentally swallowed one. It's not big but it's got me a bit worried. Should I go to the emergency room?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think you should worry, I swallowed my tongue ball a while back and i'm still here, drink some water to help move it along, but if you really are worried then you should tell someone
Reply 2
Original post by lizzxo
I don't think you should worry, I swallowed my tongue ball a while back and i'm still here, drink some water to help move it along, but if you really are worried then you should tell someone

Thanks
Reply 3
What's it made out of? If it's something fairly standard then I wouldn't worry too much - small children eat spare change quite a lot (often without their parents knowing) and they're fine.

If you're really worried you can call the NHS direct or go to A&E (which is a bit of effort) or if it's a slightly strange type of metal - like those rocks/toys that make a noise when you throw them in the air and they get attracted to one another, then you might want to get it checked out.
Reply 4
You're going to die. Stay away from magnets and get to A&E as soon as possible.
Meh it's a grey area you could just call NHS direct maybe? Personally unless you started getting stomach cramps/pain, vomiting and diaorrhea/constipation I'll head to A&E. Good chances it'll pass through your system and you'll do a shiny poo in a bit...
Reply 6
"Accidently" swallowed one? Why did you put it in your mouth in the first place? I dont think much will happen, it will just come out the other end. Anyway like someone above said, you can call NHS direct for peace of mind. They're open 24 hours a day so they should be able to give you some advice about the situation and what to do.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Drink water and if you get any pains in your stomach go to the emergency room.

I ate a 20p coin and pooped it out so you might find it again in your ****! Might not want to put it in your mouth after though again...
Reply 8
Call up the NHS helpline, but you should be fine....

Also it depends in the size of the metal ball.

I remember when I was about 7 years old, I somehow managed to swallow one of those yellow kinder egg containers without telling anyone.

The poo I had 2 days later was one of the most painful experiences of my life.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Death.
Call up the NHS helpline, but you should be fine....

Also it depends in the size of the metal ball.

I remember when I was about 7 years old, I somehow managed to swallow one of those yellow kinder egg containers without telling anyone.

The poo I hate 2 days later was one of the most painful experiences of my life.

Jeez did you swallow that whole or break it up? lol. Must've felt like you were literally laying an egg.
Reply 10
Original post by SirRamAlot
Jeez did you swallow that whole or break it up? lol. Must've felt like you were literally laying an egg.

I can't remember exactly now, but I remember choking on it for about 10 seconds, before stuffing my fingers down my throat to try and remove it, but I inadvertently pushed it down into my throat and into stomach with my fingers.

Pretty traumatic experience.

Those things are not safe for young children at all.
Reply 11
If you "accidentally" swallowed it I'm assuming it's probably small enough not to worry about. Wait and see if you crap it out.
Reply 12
I swallowed a £2 coin when I was 7 and didn't die :ahee:

If the metal was dirty or magnetic, or made of a toxic material, or you've had problems doing similar things in the past, I'd go to A&E to be on the safe side, or get a next-day GP appointment by ringing up tomorrow. If not, chances are you'll be fine tbh.
Reply 13
if it didn't make you gag when you swallowed it you'll be allright.
If you do call NHS Direct then remember to use 18185.co.uk for a better deal on an 0845 number
you must be loving to swallow
Reply 16
If you don't poo it out within a couple of days then see the doc about it. Although if it's really small i'm not sure if you'd feel/ see it in your poo :s
As long as it's not sharp, it's nothing to worry about.

A&E is full of cases like these. There's nothing they can do about it.

Just have a look after you've been to the toilet. It should be out of your system within 3 days. If it's not, THEN go to A&E. But only then.
Reply 18
I can't not laugh at this.
Reply 19
how big is it ?

Latest