AQA English Lit - Struggle for Identity & Duffy - Exam: 12th Jan --- revision tips?

Watch
alm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey guys,
I'm resitting my literature exam Jan 12th - the one on struggle for identity in modern literature and duffy. I was wondering how people revise because I find revising for english so hard and demotivating.
Any tips would be really appreciated
Thanks x
Aanisah
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For Q1:
- Make notes on your wider reading & group them into one of the following: gender, race, politics, sexuality or religion (this will help in the exam when you choose your WR).
- Why not try some past papers? It helps alot!

For Q2:
- Make notes on the poems and read through them everyday (sounds geeky but it will pay off)

This might be more helpful: http://www.scribd.com/doc/25143827/H...-Question-Copy

Hope that helped x
alm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aanisah)
[COLOR="Magenta"]For Q1:
- Make notes on your wider reading & group them into one of the following: gender, race, politics, sexuality or religion (this will help in the exam when you choose your WR).
- Why not try some past papers? It helps alot!

For Q2:
- Make notes on the poems and read through them everyday (sounds geeky but it will pay off)

This might be more helpful: http://www.scribd.com/doc/25143827/H...-Question-Copy

Hope that helped x
[/COLOR]
Thankyouu, this does need help Do you have any tips for what do when you get in the exam, because I panic, my mind goes blank, and then I write crap lol x
alm
Rep:
?
Also, what drama/prose/poetry did you use for sexuality?? x
Aanisah
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Read the text twice & annotate it, plan your essay before you write it out (helps soooooo much!) &
use PEEL (point, evidence, explanation, link to question) or whatever you've been taught to use by your teacher
For sexuality I used: Poem: Funeral Blues - W.H. Auden, Novel/Prose: Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit - Jeanette Winterson & Play: Angels in America - Tony Kushner x
Laskar15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey im also re sitting the english exam and was wondering what texts you have for religious identity??...the only thing i have is Barack Obama's 'A New Beginning Speech'

Can you please give me some texts for religious identity.
pearl_rose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys

I'm taking this exam this year in May and would also appreciate any additional advice. Are there any other possible themes (other than gender, race, politics, sexuality, or religion) that might come up for Q1?

And also how much wider reading should I do? Obviously the question is unseen so I don't know how much or what which texts to read

Thanks!
kimmykat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laskar15)
Hey im also re sitting the english exam and was wondering what texts you have for religious identity??...the only thing i have is Barack Obama's 'A New Beginning Speech'

Can you please give me some texts for religious identity.

Maya Angelou has a few poems that have religious connotations
kimmykat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pearl_rose)
Hey guys

I'm taking this exam this year in May and would also appreciate any additional advice. Are there any other possible themes (other than gender, race, politics, sexuality, or religion) that might come up for Q1?

And also how much wider reading should I do? Obviously the question is unseen so I don't know how much or what which texts to read

Thanks!

There are 22 of them but we use 8 as the ones that are most likley to come up:

Religion
Class
Race
Dislocation

The others are:

Psychology
Technology
Economics
Science
Revolution
Womens rights
Polotics
Warfare
Communication
Science
Multi-culturalism
Civil rights
The nuclear age
Genocide

hope this helps
pearl_rose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kimmykat)
There are 22 of them but we use 8 as the ones that are most likley to come up:

Religion
Class
Race
Dislocation

The others are:

Psychology
Technology
Economics
Science
Revolution
Womens rights
Polotics
Warfare
Communication
Science
Multi-culturalism
Civil rights
The nuclear age
Genocide

hope this helps
Aw thanks, but I posted that agesss ago haha, would you like me to email you any useful notes?
kimmykat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pearl_rose)
Aw thanks, but I posted that agesss ago haha, would you like me to email you any useful notes?
That would be helpful thank you
lilacunicorn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can someone tell me how I can improve this point I made for Q1 please?

Within the first paragraph, Saro-Wiwa clearly expresses his loss of autonomy as a result of being sentenced to death. Saro-Wiwa describes the way in which he has been “appalled by the denigrating poverty” in such a way that he’s devoted his “very life, to a cause I have total belief and from which I cannot be blackmailed or intimidated”. Being that this is stated in his introductory paragraph, it highlights his anger and passion towards activism he holds in protecting the rights of the Ogoni people. Despite putting in his life’s work, he uses semantic fields connoting injustice and helplessness through terms such as “distressed”, “strangulation”, “devastation” in order to present his loss of autonomy; a right to which all humans are entitled to. Not only has his effort to help fellow beings been destroyed by a mere sentencing, but has also placed limits upon his life, leaving him with no choice but to express his important opinions in a certain time frame. Furthermore, these linguistic terms also reveal the way in which the Ogoni people suffered in the early 1990’s as a result of oil exploitation, losing their voice and looking up to people such as Saro-Wiwa to stand up for the oppressed. Saro-Wiwa does indeed do so, however, it seems as though it has simultaneously caused a loss of his own voice, and consequently, his autonomy.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lilacunicorn)
Can someone tell me how I can improve this point I made for Q1 please?

Within the first paragraph, Saro-Wiwa clearly expresses his loss of autonomy as a result of being sentenced to death. Saro-Wiwa describes the way in which he has been “appalled by the denigrating poverty” in such a way that he’s devoted his “very life, to a cause I have total belief and from which I cannot be blackmailed or intimidated”. Being that this is stated in his introductory paragraph, it highlights his anger and passion towards activism he holds in protecting the rights of the Ogoni people. Despite putting in his life’s work, he uses semantic fields connoting injustice and helplessness through terms such as “distressed”, “strangulation”, “devastation” in order to present his loss of autonomy; a right to which all humans are entitled to. Not only has his effort to help fellow beings been destroyed by a mere sentencing, but has also placed limits upon his life, leaving him with no choice but to express his important opinions in a certain time frame. Furthermore, these linguistic terms also reveal the way in which the Ogoni people suffered in the early 1990’s as a result of oil exploitation, losing their voice and looking up to people such as Saro-Wiwa to stand up for the oppressed. Saro-Wiwa does indeed do so, however, it seems as though it has simultaneously caused a loss of his own voice, and consequently, his autonomy.
1. You say "linguistic devices" but that's not good enough. Try and identify them if you can. If you can't then they aren't linguistic devices, they are just words. "Distressed" is an adjective and depending on what words came before and/or after it could be many other types of adjectives. If you're going to analyse language, say what type and what kind of effect is has on your understanding.

2. If you can, that's a big paragraph and there's not one wider reading there. With each point, try and point in wider reading.

3. Your main point is autonomy, that's evident through your repetition of the word. Try and use other synonyms. To add this further, you identify autonomy, but you don't link it back to how does autonomy show the struggle for identity. This is the main question that you are being asked to discuss. So make sure you link back to the question and not just link back to your point.
lilacunicorn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can someone read this and tell me if it's any good? How can I improve? Thanks Image I'm struggling with Section A pretty badly.

In the extract taken from an article published in June 2010 for the Independent, there are many ways in which the writer Don Mullan presents his struggle for identity. The extract speaks of an incident that took place in 1972, many years prior to the article being published, about Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland. With the extract being written in first person and present tense, Mullan presents himself as he was when the event took place. Moreover, with his paragraphs being of a short length, he reveals his overall feelings of panic and trauma. Indeed, this is to be expected from an experience which killed many innocent lives as well as destroying numerous homes and towns. This article differs to other writers such as Hosseini, Williams and Ginsberg also exploring the struggle for identity due to the different context and form. However, through themes such as dislocation, trauma and loss, the article simultaneously compares to these works.

One of the ways in which Mullan presents his thoughts and feelings is through speaking of his sense of confusion and dislocation within his own mind as this event took place. “What I know is somewhere hidden in my subconscious” he states. Through speaking of his incapability to remember the key details of what took place, the immense amount of shock he had experienced on the day. Indeed, it was at such an extent where his conscious mind was forced to forget it in order for his own survival. Moreover, Mullan seems to suggest that although this reflex reaction conducted by his brain was for his own good, he is aware that memories and thoughts can never be permanently eradicated. Thus, he presents his feeling of dislocation within his own mind as without the details that are “hidden” in his subconscious, he is unable to put together the pieces and make sense from the experience.

Similarly, Williams also presents a sense of dislocation in the form of a play. Through the symbolic use of props such as a red lantern, Williams presents Blanche, the main protagonist, as being incapable to accept reality. Blanche states how she “cannot stand a naked bulb any more than a rude remark” whilst she places an “adorable little coloured paper lantern” onto the “naked bulb”. Whilst the baked bulb represents reality, Blanche’s urge to cover this bulb with a red lantern foreshadows the danger that is destined in Blanche’s life where she will be transferred into a mental institution. Moroever, the actions of Blanche emphasise her fear of accepting reality. With the naked bulb symbolising reality, she feels the urge to cover it as though it would cause in a great loss if she did not. Thus, through the symbolism of a bulb and lantern, Williams presents Blanche’s sense of dislocation as she constantly avoids any encountering with reality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads