psquad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys,
can u pls help evaluating my chances for admit

-GMAT Total 580, Quant: 48/ V22, 27th Percentile, bam I did not practice that as I thought Quant will be much more important. But scoring 27th Percentile makes me look like a fool -.-
-GRE Quant: 162, Verbal 148. I think my Q Score is ok to high, why both? Initially thought of applying to another program, but then changed my mind.
-Undergrad Goethe Univ Frankfurt, Econ (1,3) is equivalent to ECTS A, Top 10%, class of 500 students. There is no further official split like Top2% ect...
-LSE Summer School in Advanced Corp Finance(A+)/Alternative Investments (A)

psquad
Ghost6
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe finance is the most competitive MSc at LSE, so it is hard to say. I know they have changed the grading scales of the GRE, so I can't comment on these scores. You may have a shot given your solid undergraduate record, but keep in mind that most applicants have a profile similar if not better than yours.
lego
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well, sorry to say that, but you have no chance of being admitted with a 580 GMAT. Retake the GMAT, this time study for the verbal part, score around 700 (Q48V38 gets you around 700) and you have a decent shot at it. Plus, V22 is really low even without practice.
janjanmmm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you use GRE instead of GMAT it may be worth trying, but Verbal 148 is very low. They usually do not pay much attention to it, but being so low may still be a negative.

In short - not with GMAT, but maybe with GRE. Hide your GMAT and never show it to anyone

PS: verbal 148 = 40%

quantitative 162 = 87%

http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table1a.pdf
psquad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey folks thanks for your input. I decided to retake gmat, because 22v is riciculously low.
As I need some time to improve on Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning, I plan to take the test March 20th.
Do you think that is way too late? On the other hand I won't just improve on verbal by taking it again right away.
I also consider the option to apply now, while mentioning in my motivation letter that I am retaking the GMAT.
What kind of signal would that send? Or should I wait, apply around beginning of April and hope that the class isnt filled at that point of time.
Would you suggest calling them and ask for first hand advise or do they hate phone calls like that^^ ?

I am hiding my gmat -.- // Guys any suggestions on optimal time to retake gmat given my situation?
ycdanielchen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
4 weeks is more than sufficient to improve your GMAT result to around 700.
All I need for my GMAT was doing 2-3 hours of practice work only in the sentence creaction part.

Eventually my result in all other parts have been improved.

Math from 44 to 49, writing from 4.5 to 6 overall from 570 to 680.
JoJenkins9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ycdanielchen)
4 weeks is more than sufficient to improve your GMAT result to around 700.
All I need for my GMAT was doing 2-3 hours of practice work only in the sentence creaction part.

Eventually my result in all other parts have been improved.

Math from 44 to 49, writing from 4.5 to 6 overall from 570 to 680.
What did you end up doing with the 680 GMAT? I just scored a 680 (46Q 37V 8IR) and I am wondering if that is enough to get into LSE MSc Finance. I have a 3.5/4.0 GPA in Business and Economics from a top US liberal arts school and have had 2 decent internships. Do you think I have a chance at admission or should I retake the GMAT and go for a higher Quant score?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.73%
I'm not sure (16)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.71%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (207)
46.21%

Watched Threads