The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Katie Heskins

yes
Reply 21
Bless the poor Dr. What happens if he stumbles across these forums and reads all the rude things people are saying about him?
Fishpaste

I got an offer from emma college of AAA 12 in 2 and 3. Do you have to have had an offer from jesus college to be invited to this course? My school does nothing to help me with STEP - they have had only one person apply to cam maths before. It seems like a really helpful course so do you know the criteria for participance?

Tatum
Reply 23
Drederick Tatum
Fishpaste

I got an offer from emma college of AAA 12 in 2 and 3. Do you have to have had an offer from jesus college to be invited to this course? My school does nothing to help me with STEP - they have had only one person apply to cam maths before. It seems like a really helpful course so do you know the criteria for participance?

Tatum

No it is all colleges.

I listed the criteria above. Although it's not really something you can 'apply' to I'm afraid. Apparently Dr Siklos asked each college to nominate a certain number of candidates. I gather that more might be invited if anybody turns down their invite now, but don't hold your breath.
Reply 24
fishpaste
No it is all colleges.

I listed the criteria above. Although it's not really something you can 'apply' to I'm afraid. Apparently Dr Siklos asked each college to nominate a certain number of candidates. I gather that more might be invited if anybody turns down their invite now, but don't hold your breath.

Did you have to apply to be part of the widening access scheme or were you automatically put in that category? Would be so nice to have help with STEP.... :biggrin: (am now feeling jealous..... :wink: )
Reply 25
meepmeep
Did you have to apply to be part of the widening access scheme or were you automatically put in that category? Would be so nice to have help with STEP.... :biggrin: (am now feeling jealous..... :wink: )

Basically I went to their shadowing scheme last year back in March, and when I applied to Cam, my referee filled in the access scheme applicant background form. So I think that's what swung it in my favour.

It's a shame more people don't get this chance, don't worry about it though :smile: IIRC you're the trinity applicant with 1,1? Tough that, but as they always say, they reckon you can get it if you get the offer.

Best of luck.

Lex.
Reply 26
when is it dude?
Reply 27
Alaric
when is it dude?

5th - 8th April.
Reply 28
fishpaste
5th - 8th April.

I havn't heard anything about this (maybe Trinity are different?), but I think it clashes with the UK IMO training camp, so the very best mathematicians could be around, interesting...
Reply 29
fishpaste
5th - 8th April.

Awww I'm not allowed to be in residence then :frown:, so I won't be around to get all you ickle wannabe mathmos hammered :tongue:

Alriac.
Reply 30
theone
I havn't heard anything about this (maybe Trinity are different?), but I think it clashes with the UK IMO training camp, so the very best mathematicians could be around, interesting...

Will this be taking place in Trinity? It's all very exciting.
Reply 31
Alaric
Awww I'm not allowed to be in residence then :frown:, so I won't be around to get all you ickle wannabe mathmos hammered :tongue:

Alriac.

Aww, that sucks. I was rather hoping I could meetup with the Cam. lot from here, if just for a few minutes. Seems awfully early to be breaking up! Do you come back between then and September?

You're welcome to laugh watch us get hammered in September, when we've had 3 months off, and forgotten how to sketch a graph.
Reply 32
fishpaste
Will this be taking place in Trinity? It's all very exciting.

Yeah, it normally takes place in trinity, and if it isn't taking part that weekend it most likely will do the week after. I think the maths there might be a bit harder :biggrin:
Reply 33
theone
Yeah, it normally takes place in trinity, and if it isn't taking part that weekend it most likely will do the week after. I think the maths there might be a bit harder :biggrin:

I heard something about it moving to Bath this year though, is that just complete nonsense?

Just a little. I never could have conceived a situation where the STEP class was the remedial one. :P
Reply 34
fishpaste
I heard something about it moving to Bath this year though, is that just complete nonsense?

Just a little. I never could have conceived a situation where the STEP class was the remedial one. :P

That could well be true, since the head of the IMO squad is a professor at Bath, although i thought it was 'traditionally' done at Trinity.

Lol, i doubt the step will be remedial, at least not for those involved! Do you know the details of this, i.e. how much it costs, what is to be covered? etc
Reply 35
theone
That could well be true, since the head of the IMO squad is a professor at Bath, although i thought it was 'traditionally' done at Trinity.

Lol, i doubt the step will be remedial, at least not for those involved! Do you know the details of this, i.e. how much it costs, what is to be covered? etc

If it's true, rather a letdown for the team, not quite the same as going off to Trinity is it? :P

Don't know what it costs the university, it's free for us lot, including meals etc, and travel costs paid by AIMHIGHER. I assume everything from STEP 1 to STEP 3 will be covered, the letter implies it's going to be extremely intensive, right up my street.
Reply 36
fishpaste
Aww, that sucks. I was rather hoping I could meetup with the Cam. lot from here, if just for a few minutes. Seems awfully early to be breaking up! Do you come back between then and September?

You're welcome to laugh watch us get hammered in September, when we've had 3 months off, and forgotten how to sketch a graph.

Of course I'll be back in Cam between then, the small matter of exam between now and rest. In fact I'm allowed to be back from the 9th, so term probably starts a week or so after then.

I look forward to laughing at freshers in October indeed :tongue:

Alaric.
Reply 37
fishpaste
If it's true, rather a letdown for the team, not quite the same as going off to Trinity is it? :P

Don't know what it costs the university, it's free for us lot, including meals etc, and travel costs paid by AIMHIGHER. I assume everything from STEP 1 to STEP 3 will be covered, the letter implies it's going to be extremely intensive, right up my street.

Does this mean it is a state-school only thing?
Reply 38
Alaric
Of course I'll be back in Cam between then, the small matter of exam between now and rest. In fact I'm allowed to be back from the 9th, so term probably starts a week or so after then.

I look forward to laughing at freshers in October indeed :tongue:

Alaric.

Oh exams, those things, ick.

You may laugh at the freshers, but just you wait until you're on your podium telling them where they can buy ethernet cards.
Reply 39
theone
Does this mean it is a state-school only thing?

Yes, one of the criteria, unselective states only.

Latest

Trending

Trending