Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Barclays Capital Online Sample Tests? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have to do the Barclays Capital test(s) and would like to ask you if you know any exemplary questions so that I can prepare with a better focus??

I am referring to the numerical test and if I pass that, then the verbal reasoning test.

I have searched all over the web and found numerous general tests, but since they often differ between companies, I would appreciate if someone can give me examples/links of what kind of questions I will face at the actual BarCap test?

ReputationRep:
    they have standard SHL test, easy enough

ReputationRep:
    Easier than other tests (even for non financial roles). I actually found BarCap easier than numerical tests for grad schemes that weren't in finance.

ReputationRep:
    SHL has a numerical practise test online at http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html (verbal reasoning as well)

Is difficulty similiar, less difficult, more difficult?
    Do wrong answers give you a minus point?
    Do you have some barriers how much percentage is considered good to get into the next round?

ReputationRep:
    Barriers are not known, however if you do bad enough you will get autorejection straight after the test.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think it's 50% pass rate. Not to sound like an ass but if you can't pass the BarCap numerical you should consider another career. As I mentioned it is surprisingly easy especially when compared to Big 4, Deutsche Bank and Tesco Treasury. Just do some practice ones. Pay for practice ones too - it's an investment and not a sunk cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Banker)
    Honestly I think it's 50% pass rate. Not to sound like an ass but if you can't pass the BarCap numerical you should consider another career. As I mentioned it is surprisingly easy especially when compared to Big 4, Deutsche Bank and Tesco Treasury. Just do some practice ones. Pay for practice ones too - it's an investment and not a sunk cost.
    Do you know of any good sites where you can pay for practice tests??? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    You can create lots of fake applications to BarCap, as you get access to the online test automatically after sending your application, I know people who did this for practice.

ReputationRep:
    Also I think a lot of people fail the tests or get rejected pre interview still! Even though people say its only 50% pass rate... I reckon over 50%-70% of candidates will be eliminated...

ReputationRep:
    Well..if its common to create fake apps and do the online tests for fun then any success numbers are not reliable...

ReputationRep:
    I still don't know whats the difficulty of those tests. I have practised

http://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/numerical_test.htm

and have practiced

http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html ,

the first test being extremely easy and the second one easy (to get >90% points). How does BarCap compare to those?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MZad)
    I still don't know whats the difficulty of those tests. I have practised

http://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/numerical_test.htm

and have practiced

http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html ,

the first test being extremely easy and the second one easy (to get >90% points). How does BarCap compare to those?
    These are extremely easy, real one is harder, create some fake accounts and practice, geez

ReputationRep:
    I took the test without preparing via fake accounts (which I would find immoral..let's see if I get a response on that one) and want to set the record straight:

25 minutes, 18 questions, very easy; difficulty was like the shldirect-sample-test, maybe slightly easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moa)
    These are extremely easy, real one is harder, create some fake accounts and practice, geez
    I find this pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    I find this pathetic.
    Well, it depends on the underlying world-view of the person and what the implications are that the person draws. I wouldn't do it but I understand that many would do this and I think many more would do it if they understood their world-view better..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    I find this pathetic.
    I did not do it, as I find the SHL tests easy enough, but if someone is desperate for practice enough to pay for it, why not go this way?

ReputationRep:
    are you informed immediately after taking the verbal reasoning test if you have failed?

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.