Philosophy AQA 11th and 18th January 2012

Watch this thread
Ttorria
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey, i'm retaking philosophy AS and was wondering whether anyone else was? And if so what topics are you doing and do you have any tips?

Also, just wondering what grade you got last time if retaking and how similar your grade was to others?

Thanks
abby vella
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
hi, i'm doing the same exams as you! But I'm doing it as a home study a level and was wondering what questions came up last summer? Thanks!
Ttorria
Rep:
Hi, i see, is it hard learning from home?

I can't remember some of the questions but i know there were some on:
Synthetic versus necessary truths
Tabula rasa

Morality as self interest

Examples of natural and moral evil
How is god consistent with evil

What's the difference between determinism and fate

Sorry i can't remember them all, good luck!
divina commedia
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ttorria)
It isn't if you're determined
eemooz
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 10 years ago

I can't remember some of the questions but i know there were some on:
Synthetic versus necessary truths
Tabula rasa

Morality as self interest

Examples of natural and moral evil
How is god consistent with evil

What's the difference between determinism and fate

Sorry i can't remember them all, good luck!
Hi I'm retaking Unit 1 too, argh i hate reason and experience, conceptual schemes just go about my head

good luck for your exams
Ttorria
Rep:
(Original post by eemooz)
Hi I'm retaking Unit 1 too, argh i hate reason and experience, conceptual schemes just go about my head

good luck for your exams
Haha, tell me about it, they suck! Good luck to you too xx
JustCharley
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Hey, i'm retaking philosophy AS and was wondering whether anyone else was? And if so what topics are you doing and do you have any tips?

Also, just wondering what grade you got last time if retaking and how similar your grade was to others?

Thanks
Hiiii

I'm retaking Unit 2 and answering questions on why we value art and knowledge of the external world. Literally SO SCARED. I got 92/100 (A) in the Unit 1 exam last summer, but for some reason I got a D in Unit 2. I thought it went really well but obviously I got that very wrong. I honestly don't know what went wrong, and I'm scared it's gonna happen again! I'm aiming to get my A Level grade to be an A*, as I wanna study philosophy at uni.

I've only just really started revision. I'm using the AQA textbook, Lacewing textbook, and a few other essays and books for art. But so so so scared it's gonna badly wrong again.

Have you been told anything about what questions are likely to come up? And can anyone remember exactly what the June 2011 questions were for the art and external world topics?

x
midnightice
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
That was pretty easy to be honest. Although I expect that the majority of my class has failed. Introspection & tautologies...thank 'God' I revised!
Ttorria
Rep:
(Original post by midnightice)
That was pretty easy to be honest. Although I expect that the majority of my class has failed. Introspection & tautologies...thank 'God' I revised!
I wasn't entirely sure what the question was on about but according to my teacher i wrote about the right things so hopefully that will help a lot! It was a horrible sounding question though!
TheUbermensche
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JustCharley)
Hiiii

I'm retaking Unit 2 and answering questions on why we value art and knowledge of the external world. Literally SO SCARED. I got 92/100 (A) in the Unit 1 exam last summer, but for some reason I got a D in Unit 2. I thought it went really well but obviously I got that very wrong. I honestly don't know what went wrong, and I'm scared it's gonna happen again! I'm aiming to get my A Level grade to be an A*, as I wanna study philosophy at uni.

I've only just really started revision. I'm using the AQA textbook, Lacewing textbook, and a few other essays and books for art. But so so so scared it's gonna badly wrong again.

Have you been told anything about what questions are likely to come up? And can anyone remember exactly what the June 2011 questions were for the art and external world topics?

x
You most definitely want to check out Russel's Problems of Philosophy - it's a very short book but the link below gives you a detailed summary of all the chapters. This is good for the external world unit - it has some reasons for WHY to be a representative realist but more so focuses on attacking Idealism and Berkeley.

http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy...section4.rhtml
Ttorria
Rep:
Are all of you doing the exam on wednesday as well? If so, what topics are you doing and what questions do you expect to come up?
winning11
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Are all of you doing the exam on wednesday as well? If so, what topics are you doing and what questions do you expect to come up?
argh i thought this exam was on thursday so i basically only have today to revise, i'm doing unit 2, the topics are
knowledge of the external world
god and the world

i barely remember anything

anyone remember what the questions were last year?
JustCharley
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I'm doing it tomorrow. I'm doing knowledge of the external world and the value of art. As a general trend, the 15 marker for knowledge of the external world tends to be something to do with representative realism, usually sense data, so I'm gonna make sure I know all the factual stuff there. No idea about the art questions though. I have a feeling that in the summer the external world 30 was on idealism, and the art 30 was on evaluating the claim that art informs. I could be remembering wrong though, I did get a C after all. Hence the retake :P
JustCharley
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I've attached my cram sheets for knowledge of the external world. i wrote them last night. They're all the key stuff for knowledge of the external world condensed down into 3 sides of A4 - 1 side each for 1. naive and philosophical direct realism 2. representative realism and 3. idealism.

I'm making them for value of art as well. I'll post those later.

Ah turns out, my computer will only let me upload the idealism one. I'll try fix this area but in the meantime, have an idealism cram sheet
Attached files
Lovefoxxx_93
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I'm resitting Unit 2 tomorrow.

God and the World & Free will and Determinism.
winning11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I've attached my cram sheets for knowledge of the external world. i wrote them last night. They're all the key stuff for knowledge of the external world condensed down into 3 sides of A4 - 1 side each for 1. naive and philosophical direct realism 2. representative realism and 3. idealism.

I'm making them for value of art as well. I'll post those later.

Ah turns out, my computer will only let me upload the idealism one. I'll try fix this area but in the meantime, have an idealism cram sheet
thankyou a lot! that's helped, i look forward to the other 2
you are a nice saviour for my lastminuteness
JustCharley
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by winning11)
thankyou a lot! that's helped, i look forward to the other 2
you are a nice saviour for my lastminuteness
The value of art representation cram.doc

I've attached the two for representative realism, and direct realism. Also attached is the cram sheet for "we value art because it informs us". we value art because of its expressive qualities and we value art because of its artistic qualities are still to come
JustCharley
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
we value art because of its expressive qualities cram sheet is attached

In above posts I've attached 3 sheets for knowledge of the external world, and a sheet for valuing art because it informs us.
winning11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
The value of art representation cram.doc

I've attached the two for representative realism, and direct realism. Also attached is the cram sheet for "we value art because it informs us". we value art because of its expressive qualities and we value art because of its artistic qualities are still to come
thankyou! i'm doing knowledge of the external world
(and god and the world)

thankyou so much for your notes, very thoughtful (i've lost a load of mine as i thought i'd never use them again)
good luck tomorrow, i know you'll ace it!
JustCharley
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Final set of notes, these are for "we value art for its artistic qualities" (form) All my other notes are above. there's 6 sets in total.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.03%
It went fairly well (239)
47.51%
It didn't go too well (75)
14.91%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.55%

Watched Threads