Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That is bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHANDY)
    That is bad.
    Not really. The US have had an intelligence capability in the UK for years anyway. "Century House" had an CIA contingent permanently based within from the early 60's, and so too does MI6's new home on the Thames.

ReputationRep:
    But this is hardcore going around on the streets in suits and all to track down all the ' Godfathers ' and all.
    Then again I do think it is cool.

ReputationRep:
    But this is hardcore going around on the streets in suits and all to track down all the ' Godfathers ' and all.
    Then again I do think it is cool.
    But they have absolutely no jurisdiction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    But they have absolutely no jurisdiction.
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    Why not?
    Because American security services do not have powers to arrest in Britain any more than British security services can make an arrest in the US.(As a matter of fact uniquely, British security services cannot even make an arrest in the UK. So if MI5 suspect you of terrorism it will be your local plod who actually does the arresting with MI5 as observors because they themselves can't make that arrest.......not a lot of people know that!)

US and British security services have been working together on "joint ventures" for years and years.

British intelligence has a permanent presense in the US and American intelligence have a permanent presense in the UK. Both sides are there as observers/advisors on matters which concern their interests but NOT as active participants.

ReputationRep:
    That is bad.
    The FBI maintain presences in many countries which are allies on the war on terror, its the same in Pakistan (where i come from) and i can say that its proven to be very helpful in tracking down the al qaeda b***ards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Because American security services do not have powers to arrest in Britain any more than British security services can make an arrest in the US.(As a matter of fact uniquely, British security services cannot even make an arrest in the UK. So if MI5 suspect you of terrorism it will be your local plod who actually does the arresting with MI5 as observors because they themselves can't make that arrest.......not a lot of people know that!)

US and British security services have been working together on "joint ventures" for years and years.

British intelligence has a permanent presense in the US and American intelligence have a permanent presense in the UK. Both sides are there as observers/advisors on matters which concern their interests but NOT as active participants.
    So there isn't any 007 or any ****?

ReputationRep:
    So there isn't any 007 or any ****?
    Erm......no, afraid not......just a lot of extremely underpaid people (I think MI5 starting salary is around 17k!) doing for the most part an extremely boring and unglamorous job.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.