What is a foundation degree, and do I need A levels? Watch

Marley109
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Goldsmiths considers me an International Student even though i have an EU passport, they require me to be in the UK for atleast a year until I can become an EU Student according to them, so in that time I have to pay EU fees and i really don't know if I can get a Student Loan or not and for London Met's foundation course they don't allow the Student Loans Company to cover up the fees for that course.

So I'm in a bit of a mess right now.
Rayhan07
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hii I not done well in my Gcse got 4cs 1b and d in maths.college say I can't do A level and to do btec level 3 in bio.chem.and physiology but no uni will take me without A level. What can u do ??
matqkks
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Avoid doing a foundation degree or a degree with a foundation year. It is just profit making exercise for universities; they receive another year's tuition fees from you. Additionally, employers will look at your A level grades and ask why it took you 4 years to complete an undergraduate degree. I am surprised no politician or journalist is discussing this serious matter. Someone in the media should raise the profile of this issue.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by matqkks)
Avoid doing a foundation degree or a degree with a foundation year. It is just profit making exercise for universities; they receive another year's tuition fees from you. Additionally, employers will look at your A level grades and ask why it took you 4 years to complete an undergraduate degree. I am surprised no politician or journalist is discussing this serious matter. Someone in the media should raise the profile of this issue.
foundation *degree* = 2 years
top up year = 1 year
2 years + 1year = 3 years

foundation *year* = 1 year
honours degree = 3 years
1 year + 3 years = 4 years

---
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rayhan07)
Hii I not done well in my Gcse got 4cs 1b and d in maths.college say I can't do A level and to do btec level 3 in bio.chem.and physiology but no uni will take me without A level. What can u do ??
Leaving aside the fact that you really don't have to go to university for a good career and a successful life, many universities will accept excellent grades in BTEC level 3 for entry into undergraduate courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
asunke Olola
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My friend, you are just 16, what's hurrying you? You do not only need A'level for Uni. entry, but also to equip you for the high level performance that Uni. require. Besides, You may also need A' Level in the future for either your master or any highly competitive professional course.
Ema94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Did you find a way to take a foundation course with GCSE entry because im having the same issue here since i won't take A level
Malzzzx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
what grades will you need to get in btec to do the foundation course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.71%
The paper was reasonable (1175)
54.3%
Not feeling great about that exam... (468)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.36%

Watched Threads