The Student Room Group

BDO Numerical Online Test?

Hey guys,

Just got an email saying I`ve passed the initial stage and I`ve got to sit the numerical online test now.
Is it a SHL exam, or does BDO use a different style?
Also has anyone done the test, what sort of topic come up?

Appreciate any replies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's SHL. Loads of currency conversions! I failed it. Practice lots of currency conversions.
Reply 2
Original post by chrisb23
It's SHL. Loads of currency conversions! I failed it. Practice lots of currency conversions.

Eurgh! I'm about to do this too. Going to get a load of caffeine on board first :s-smilie:

I think a load of these tests are a bunch of bull - there are far better ways to test candidates. I would far rather have more complex verbal tests than numerical tests.
Original post by M83

I think a load of these tests are a bunch of bull - there are far better ways to test candidates. I would far rather have more complex verbal tests than numerical tests.

But accountancy is a numerate profession, and if you can't work with numbers you're probably not going to have a fun time. They need some way of testing your maths skills, and these tests are a fairly efficient way of doing so, whether that be online or on paper at AC.
Reply 4
Original post by Hedgeman49
But accountancy is a numerate profession, and if you can't work with numbers you're probably not going to have a fun time. They need some way of testing your maths skills, and these tests are a fairly efficient way of doing so, whether that be online or on paper at AC.

I'm not doing accounting at BDO...anyway I have failed this test despite passing another 4 elsewhere. Just shows how high their pass mark must have been. *******

EDIT: plus I find it fairly implausible that I will be in a situation at BDO whilst working where I have 20 minutes in which to do 18 mathematic sums that are worded awkwardly. Sorry for all the cussing - the thing that annoyed me most is I could sense how close I was to passing this BDO one as I was on a real roll until question 13/14 when I started coming short of time and had to begin to rush. Frustrating amount of numerical tests going on at the moment, hopefully this will be one of the ones with the higher pass mark.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by M83
I'm not doing accounting at BDO...anyway I have failed this test despite passing another 4 elsewhere. Just shows how high their pass mark must have been. *******

EDIT: plus I find it fairly implausible that I will be in a situation at BDO whilst working where I have 20 minutes in which to do 18 mathematic sums that are worded awkwardly.

Sorry to hear, must have been a rough one.

Whilst you will not face the online test in its exact form at work, it's a fair representation of having to evaluate numerical data from tables, graphs etc. and interpret associated instructions under tight time pressure. When combined with verbal, e-tray and AC this is probably the best they can do at evaluating how well you're likely to get on at work short of actually putting you behind a desk for a day. It's never going to be perfect though.
Reply 6
Original post by M83

EDIT: plus I find it fairly implausible that I will be in a situation at BDO whilst working where I have 20 minutes in which to do 18 mathematic sums that are worded awkwardly. Sorry for all the cussing - the thing that annoyed me most is I could sense how close I was to passing this BDO one as I was on a real roll until question 13/14 when I started coming short of time and had to begin to rush. Frustrating amount of numerical tests going on at the moment, hopefully this will be one of the ones with the higher pass mark.

It's just a way of thinning the herd of candidates. If you're good at basic maths and reasoning it's not that hard to finish these tests, just do lots of practice if you're not confident at the moment.
Reply 7
Original post by M1011
It's just a way of thinning the herd of candidates. If you're good at basic maths and reasoning it's not that hard to finish these tests, just do lots of practice if you're not confident at the moment.

I've passed 3 today out of 4...it's just this BDO one that's really hacked me off.
Original post by M83
I've passed 3 today out of 4...it's just this BDO one that's really hacked me off.

Don't let it get you down, you're applying to some of the largest and most selective firms in the country. You're not going to get offers from all of them and 3/4 is a solid start.

I got dinged by Deloitte at e-tray (and was similarly frustrated due to knowing the mistakes I made) but you just brush down and carry on.
Reply 9
Don't let it get you down, you're applying to some of the largest and most selective firms in the country. You're not going to get offers from all of them and 3/4 is a solid start.

I got dinged by Deloitte at e-tray (and was similarly frustrated due to knowing the mistakes I made) but you just brush down and carry on.

I managed to get through the Deloitte e-tray somehow :s-smilie:
Indeed, the good thing about being a graduate looking for a job (for me in risk consulting, audits and HR) means I have plenty of places I can apply to. Dunno about you lot but I have applied to rather a few places - all offering decent salaries and most of them in London. I guess if out of half you get 4-5 interviews and pass their tests then you could well land a job out of 1 of them at least if you are decent at interviews and group exercises. I feel that group exercises may be my biggest fear if I get to that stage. I have an interview at Deloitte confirmed, but no data, so I'm really trying to chase them up on that one!
Original post by M83
I managed to get through the Deloitte e-tray somehow :s-smilie:
Indeed, the good thing about being a graduate looking for a job (for me in risk consulting, audits and HR) means I have plenty of places I can apply to. Dunno about you lot but I have applied to rather a few places - all offering decent salaries and most of them in London. I guess if out of half you get 4-5 interviews and pass their tests then you could well land a job out of 1 of them at least if you are decent at interviews and group exercises. I feel that group exercises may be my biggest fear if I get to that stage. I have an interview at Deloitte confirmed, but no data, so I'm really trying to chase them up on that one!

I had a big train of applications ready to go, but luckily didn't need to as I got an offer from the first one I sent off!

If you make enough quality applications, you'll get plenty interviews and one of them will come off for you. Your skills will improve with each interview and you'll learn what to do and not to do next time. It might take a couple of applications to get the style right but you'll get it soon enough.
Reply 11
I had a big train of applications ready to go, but luckily didn't need to as I got an offer from the first one I sent off!

If you make enough quality applications, you'll get plenty interviews and one of them will come off for you. Your skills will improve with each interview and you'll learn what to do and not to do next time. It might take a couple of applications to get the style right but you'll get it soon enough.

That's what I'm hoping mate, where are you going to be working then? I think other than the risk consulting role I've applied to at Deloitte (interested me the most out of the options available at my local firm), the remainder of my applications will now be going on HR. Am looking forward to arranging my Deloitte interview, although am going to have to get on their case for sure
Original post by M83
That's what I'm hoping mate, where are you going to be working then? I think other than the risk consulting role I've applied to at Deloitte (interested me the most out of the options available at my local firm), the remainder of my applications will now be going on HR. Am looking forward to arranging my Deloitte interview, although am going to have to get on their case for sure

Deloitte are pretty slow, maybe prod them a bit but this is busy season for applications and it will probably take a while!

I'm going to be at KPMG, provided I get a 2:1...
Reply 13
Deloitte are pretty slow, maybe prod them a bit but this is busy season for applications and it will probably take a while!

I'm going to be at KPMG, provided I get a 2:1...

Ah, nice one! I wish I took your initiative and signed up for graduate schemes when I was in my first and second year :colondollar: You don't realise until you've graduated how much of an idiot you have been for not being proactive previously!
Original post by M83
Ah, nice one! I wish I took your initiative and signed up for graduate schemes when I was in my first and second year :colondollar: You don't realise until you've graduated how much of an idiot you have been for not being proactive previously!

I'm going into my final year, I thought I'd missed the boat as I didn't apply for internships last autumn and thought it would therefore be very difficult to land a grad position. If I had the chance to do it again I probably would have applied for one to make life a bit easier!

My goal was to land an offer before university started so that I could fully concentrate on my degree. Started doing research and wrote my model answer bank in July, sent my app to KPMG early August and Deloitte just after. Deloitte dragged on but KPMG was very quick, bang bang bang through the stages. Had my AC for them in late August, did Deloitte e-tray at the start of September and there ended that journey. Had KPMG partner interview last week.

I had PwC and Smith & Williamson ready to go if KPMG went tits up, then another few that I was going to move onto after that.

I would definitely advise setting up a spreadsheet for all of your applications, makes keeping a track of the email trails a lot easier and means you have all of your deadlines and progress in one place so you can see who needs chasing up.
I passed the numerical test and did the verbal reasoning test last night at about half 5; but no email so far this morning. Does this mean I have failed? :frown:
Lol do recruiters read TSR? :P

3 minutes after this post; I get an email inviting me to an interview :smile:
Original post by dudleyian
Lol do recruiters read TSR? :P

3 minutes after this post; I get an email inviting me to an interview :smile:

They're watching you
Reply 18
I did BDO numerical test and failed...weird because i passed the KPMG and Deloitte tests. For some reason i just found them the hardest out the lot! oh well
Original post by dsa
I did BDO numerical test and failed...weird because i passed the KPMG and Deloitte tests. For some reason i just found them the hardest out the lot! oh well

Sorry to hear that :frown: good luck with your other applications!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending