The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Daveo
NHS I presume as the averages for private work will be somewhat different.

Anyone know what the average private practising dentist gets paid?
Reply 21
im also thinking about doing dentistry but one thinh im worried about is what if some toothpaste company like colgate make a product that completely stops tooth decay. this is a major reason why ppl go to dentists .
this is even worst because you'll be a dentist for appx the next 40 years and in that time surely they will invent something like this. :frown:
Reply 22
sammy123
im also thinking about doing dentistry but one thinh im worried about is what if some toothpaste company like colgate make a product that completely stops tooth decay. this is a major reason why ppl go to dentists .
this is even worst because you'll be a dentist for appx the next 40 years and in that time surely they will invent something like this. :frown:

Maybe, but there are other things dentists can do...more and more people are conscious about the way their teeth look- the amount of bleaching and the number of implants are increasing.
Reply 23
sammy123

Yey...physicists!

If that is so, then I think dentists would become something similar to plastic surgeons (but in terms of teeth only - and plastic non-related), really just to enhance the appearence of teeth or to fix any desperate dental health problems that anti-tooth decay technology could not do for some people. Nevertheless, dentist visits would drop significantly...
But if we're talking about 40 years, it is also possible that some other technology comes out which impedes the job of a doctor...maybe not as significant since a doctor is always needed, but certain stuff like finding a cure for the flue for example would mean less people go to see the doctor.

DjPRO
DjPRO
Yey...physicists!

If that is so, then I think dentists would become something similar to plastic surgeons (but in terms of teeth only - and plastic non-related), really just to enhance the appearence of teeth or to fix any desperate dental health problems that anti-tooth decay technology could not do for some people. Nevertheless, dentist visits would drop significantly...
But if we're talking about 40 years, it is also possible that some other technology comes out which impedes the job of a doctor...maybe not as significant since a doctor is always needed, but certain stuff like finding a cure for the flue for example would mean less people go to see the doctor.

DjPRO

Well, till they come up with a genetic modification to prevent squint it looks like I'll always be in a job when I get out of Uni :biggrin: