The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have any thoughts on Homerton college? I got an offer from them after making an open application, must confess I hadn't heard of Homerton until I was allocated to it!
Reply 301
Original post by lk2011
Hey, do you've anything more to say on Queens'? :tongue:

big fan. for a fairly large college people get super close but with (generally) less of the bitchiness/drama you'd expect. the people i've met have all been lovely, quite a lot of big personalities there. boys less sharky than @catz.

however- queens' ents are tragic as far as college partyin' goes*. overpriced with an atmosphere that's crushingly unattractive to non-q-students.

*i'm comparing to the excellent clare cellars, dubious yet oddly endearing churchill pav, quality deejayin' at emma ents and although i've not been, aggressively-pro-fancy-dress banter to be found at tit hall's 'viva'
Original post by Kobie
big fan. for a fairly large college people get super close but with (generally) less of the bitchiness/drama you'd expect. the people i've met have all been lovely, quite a lot of big personalities there. boys less sharky than @catz.

however- queens' ents are tragic as far as college partyin' goes*. overpriced with an atmosphere that's crushingly unattractive to non-q-students.

*i'm comparing to the excellent clare cellars, dubious yet oddly endearing churchill pav, quality deejayin' at emma ents and although i've not been, aggressively-pro-fancy-dress banter to be found at tit hall's 'viva'

My boyfriend is a fresher at Queens' :smile: Out of interest, what do you mean by "sharky"
Reply 303
Original post by ViennaWaits
My boyfriend is a fresher at Queens' :smile: Out of interest, what do you mean by "sharky"

shark:
A person, usually male, who is preoccupied with getting laid at whatever party he's at.
e.g. 'Jeremy's been flirting with like twenty girls tonight. What a shark! Too bad he's striking out.'

(Verb) To steal something in use by another when they aren't paying attention. Often used in reference to chairs, remotes and other objects/appliances such as women.

credit- urbandictionary.com

who's the boyfriend? :tongue:
Original post by Kobie

Do you need to know how to sight read very well to be in the choir?
Reply 305
How come Kings is listed as definitely NOT being a party college. I thought they had an underground club, and on the open day everyone seemed pretty up for it.
Reply 306
Original post by anuradha_d

my knowledge extends solely to newnham, linguistics, general partying, banter, rowing, crude college reputations, nightclubs and other people's floors- can't help, but these two might have some connections with people who can-

Doughnuts!!
-

Cast.Iron
-
Original post by Kobie
my knowledge extends solely to newnham, linguistics, general partying, banter, rowing, crude college reputations, nightclubs and other people's floors- can't help, but these two might have some connections with people who can-

Merci Beacoup

Also, im coming there for the SHadowing Scheme next month at Trin Hall.
Does 3 have good reception?
Sorreh for the random question xD
Original post by Kobie
shark:
A person, usually male, who is preoccupied with getting laid at whatever party he's at.
e.g. 'Jeremy's been flirting with like twenty girls tonight. What a shark! Too bad he's striking out.'

(Verb) To steal something in use by another when they aren't paying attention. Often used in reference to chairs, remotes and other objects/appliances such as women.

credit- urbandictionary.com

who's the boyfriend? :tongue:

Ha okay thanks.

Haha well, not sure if I should tell you, on the grounds that I may be incriminated :P He does history...but I don't think that narrows it down much :P

Also, you do linguistics, yes? My friend does linguistics at King's :biggrin:
Reply 309
Can someone please explain to me how terms and exams work? I understand there are terms, and then there are shorter periods called "full terms." Do we stay at Cambridge for just the full term, and if so, when are exams?
Reply 310
Original post by Belton42
How come Kings is listed as definitely NOT being a party college. I thought they had an underground club, and on the open day everyone seemed pretty up for it.

i think it's because they give the impression that it's not a majority who go out an awful lot, and the underground bar is hideously underpublicised to the rest of cambridge's students, if it's open to us at all/ still holds regular events. might be bad luck, but they haven't swapped with me or any of my friends at other colleges as much as many other colleges, and the groups we have met haven't brought quality banter :K:

good-friendly, relaxed- atmosphere in general (i applied there!) but surprisingly unexciting given location/ facilities available...
Reply 311

Which college? Are you going for a choral scholarship?
Basically, the answer is yes - certainly you'll need to be a good sight-reader for a choral scholarship as a soprano/alto, though this'll depend a bit on the college you apply for. The standard of the applicants for choral scholarships is very, very good, with many having come from high quality school choirs and cathedral choirs. If you've had some singing lessons and have sung with a choir before it'll be worth a shot though. If you look on the choral scholarship website there are examples of the tests they give to applicants and the standard they're looking for.

If you've already got a place but no choral scholarship it will depend whether the choir has any places, the standard of the choir and how picky the choir director is.
Reply 312
Original post by ViennaWaits
Ha okay thanks.

Haha well, not sure if I should tell you, on the grounds that I may be incriminated :P He does history...but I don't think that narrows it down much :P

Also, you do linguistics, yes? My friend does linguistics at King's :biggrin:

i don't think i'm super familiar with any queens' historians... pm me a name though, i'm curious!

AAAAHHH if it's a fresher and not the chap who switched to AMES last term I'M ALSO FRIENDS WITH HIM!
Original post by lp386
Which college? Are you going for a choral scholarship?
Basically, the answer is yes - certainly you'll need to be a good sight-reader for a choral scholarship as a soprano/alto, though this'll depend a bit on the college you apply for. The standard of the applicants for choral scholarships is very, very good, with many having come from high quality school choirs and cathedral choirs. If you've had some singing lessons and have sung with a choir before it'll be worth a shot though. If you look on the choral scholarship website there are examples of the tests they give to applicants and the standard they're looking for.

If you've already got a place but no choral scholarship it will depend whether the choir has any places, the standard of the choir and how picky the choir director is.

I plan to apply this year :smile:

I only started singing lessons 2 years ago, but I am doing my Grade 7 this year and probably Grade 8 next year.

I do sing in choir, but my school doesnt have a brilliant one :/

I was thinking Girton.... Phys Nat Sci :smile:

HELP!
Reply 314
Original post by lk2011
Hey, do you've anything more to say on Queens'? :tongue:

Excellent college choice, the queens people i've met are very friendly and it has a laid back atmosphere :wink:
How vicious is the rivalry between colleges? I applied to St. John's without knowing about its "stuck-up" reputation and now that I've received an offer I'm a little concerned about this, as I'm not the sort of person to cope that well with slightly nasty banter.
Original post by Kobie
i don't think i'm super familiar with any queens' historians... pm me a name though, i'm curious!

AAAAHHH if it's a fresher and not the chap who switched to AMES last term I'M ALSO FRIENDS WITH HIM!

His initials are G.C :smile:

I'm afraid it's the one who switched to AMES :P
Reply 317
Original post by -raisa
Can someone please explain to me how terms and exams work? I understand there are terms, and then there are shorter periods called "full terms." Do we stay at Cambridge for just the full term, and if so, when are exams?

Okay, so terms in Cambridge have weeks numbered from 1 to 8 which run from Thursday to Wednesday. Full term runs from Tuesday before the start of Week 1 to Friday after the end of Week 8 (so eight weeks plus four days = 60 nights). You have to be resident for nine of these terms to get a degree, according to university regulations (though there is a bit of slack on this - your college is unlikely to mind if you want to go home for a couple of nights in term, but two week trips to South America - actual example - are off limits). Your college may let you have some accommodation outside that period, or you may have to apply to stay for the holidays.

Unless you're a linguist (when things might be a bit different) or a medic/vet doing retakes, your exams will be in Easter term, within those eight weeks. (Sorry about the jargon, it's hideous, I know!)
Original post by muse_of_fire
How vicious is the rivalry between colleges? I applied to St. John's without knowing about its "stuck-up" reputation and now that I've received an offer I'm a little concerned about this, as I'm not the sort of person to cope that well with slightly nasty banter.

Just get used to hearing "I'd Rather be at Oxford than St. Johns" and you'll be fine.
Reply 319
Merci Beacoup

Also, im coming there for the SHadowing Scheme next month at Trin Hall.
Does 3 have good reception?
Sorreh for the random question xD

awesome, i'm shadow-parenting someone at newnham! if you put linguistics as one of your subject choices by any chance, i know who you're going to get and she's AWESOME :biggrin:

generally yes, but not as good as tmobile/orange. and with some freshers' blocks you're screwed regardless of network :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending