The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

How do Cambridge students view Anglia Ruskin students?
Reply 81
Original post by Onee-chan
:colone: Sounds pretty awesome! Are you allowed to attend formals in other colleges?

Yes, though you have to be a guest of a member of that college. Plenty of people try to go to formal at all of the colleges during their time there; I think I managed 19.

And Stephen Hawking is seen around in Caius fairly regularly, but is usually on top table so you wouldn't ordinarily get to talk to him. My brother-in-law is a fellow there and apparently their top table food is much better than the standard undergrad hall fare.
Reply 82
I have an offer for Natural Sciences (biological) at Queens... anyone know what Queens is like?

I've heard that the work load for NatSci students is extremely tough in the first year... anyone know how true that is? I mean, I'm expecting to have to work very hard, but I'd like some time to relax as well :smile:

Also slightly worried about Saturday morning lectures... What time do lectures start on a morning?

I'm sure I'll think up some more stuff to ask once I've finally got my head round getting an offer :biggrin:
Reply 83
Original post by Arialaxe
Yes, do visit, it's so lovely :biggrin: Very pretty and very peaceful for a central college. It's sort of a bit like Christ's in a way, in that there's a good variety of architecture and it's quite spacious.

I want to meet Stephen Hawking too...how often does he attend these formal halls, exactly? :ahee:

Twice a year (or was it term) I was told :P. Should have applied to Caius instead of Pembroke :colone:!
Original post by Jessikat
Hii! :biggrin: Is the Homerton library all new and not Hogwarts-y? I think I remember seeing a picture once and thinking '... Oh :frown:' But in any case - is it adequate? :smile:

Homerton's library is spacious and modern "unfortunately." You can find a picture of it in the Cambridge prospectus:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/publications/prospectus/docs/colleges.pdf

This may not be your preference but trust me, you will feel much better working in a well lit environment and it really is very good for a college library.

But, and this may console you, our hall was second choice for the actual Hogwarts Great Hall in the films. So yeah, we have our share of nice architecture:

http://www.metal-ions2011.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Great-Hall-Dinner.png
Original post by AkaJetson

Varies. Some seem to think they have the right to look down on them but most people are indifferent. It's sort of ... you know, they're there. They exist.
Reply 86
Twice a year (or was it term) I was told :P. Should have applied to Caius instead of Pembroke :colone:!

What, and put up with the yukky food, exhorbitant traditions, swarms of pesky tourists and lack of space? :biggrin:

No thank you, my good man. I'm only marginally concerned by the reputation it seems to have as a college of people who are "always high"...:s-smilie:
Reply 87
Original post by Cast.Iron
Homerton's library is spacious and modern "unfortunately." You can find a picture of it in the Cambridge prospectus:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/publications/prospectus/docs/colleges.pdf

This may not be your preference but trust me, you will feel much better working in a well lit environment and it really is very good for a college library.

But, and this may console you, our hall was second choice for the actual Hogwarts Great Hall in the films. So yeah, we have our share of nice architecture:

The picture I saw of the library made it look stuffy! But it really looks so much better than I imagined. It's practical - I like it.

And the dining hall more than makes up for it! <3
Reply 88
Original post by Cast.Iron

That has got to be the tiniest picture of anything I have ever seen in my life.
Reply 89
Original post by Kobie

i sincerely hope this does not pertain to whom i think it may possibly pertain.

also, revisions to this

*blahblahblah unimportant colleges*

caius- their formal is ghastly.

For some reason this reminds me of HHGTG's "Mostly Harmless". Come on! We're a bit more than that surely! :P

Original post by Helenia
Yes, though you have to be a guest of a member of that college. Plenty of people try to go to formal at all of the colleges during their time there; I think I managed 19.

And Stephen Hawking is seen around in Caius fairly regularly, but is usually on top table so you wouldn't ordinarily get to talk to him. My brother-in-law is a fellow there and apparently their top table food is much better than the standard undergrad hall fare.

Cool! Loads of people in my year got in, so I can just casually *pretend to be their friends* and go to the formals at their rich colleges XD!

Haha now I'm just gonna be stalking Stephen Hawking :P.

...Incidentally, it was his 70th Birthday some time ago. Just thought I would share that with everyone.

Oh and Helenia, thank you so much for your help on Vazzyb's thread, you were really helpful and friendly!
Reply 90
Which colleges have cats?

Which colleges have the most cats?

Of the colleges that have cats, which are the cutest?

Of the colleges that have cats, which are the friendliest?

How prominent a role do the college cats play in the lives of Cambridge undergraduates?

To what extent would you argue that the college cats are the single most important influence in the personal support of the Cambridge undergraduates?

(Edit: I should add this disclaimer, for any miserable TSR cat-haters, that I do not expect these questions to be answered...)

i'm just gonna say that you remember me of sheldon cooper :p:D:biggrin:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Congratulations to all those that received offers and commiserations to those that got rejected. For those of you in the pool, stay afloat and I hope that you get fished!

Anyway, after I got my offer last year there were around a million things that I wanted to know about Cambridge. Sadly, there wasn't any one place where I could ask questions so I had to resort to the Cambridge Current Students Chat Thread. Considering that the scummy O****d lot currently have a thread like this, I thought it would be a good idea to start one. Offer-holders can post questions and current students can attempt to answer them and dispel any misconceptions.

I'll start off with a few common questions and then people can start asking some of their own.

Is the workload really as tough as everyone says?

There is indeed a hell of a lot of work and you're expected to do a lot for supervisions, but it's certainly manageable and you can still manage to do a lot of social activities. The way I see it, people get given offers because they're thought to be capable to handle the heavy workload.

Will I be able to enjoy myself what with all the work?

This is kind of an extension of the previous question but in short, yes. People often find themselves fitting their work around their social lives rather than the other way round. Obviously, being Cambridge, some people do work ridiculously hard and you never see them but those people are in the minority.

Are people as stuck up as everyone says?

Not at all. The vast majority of people are incredibly normal and you don't even know whether or not people are from a private school or a state school. There are, of course, ridiculously posh, pompous gits but they tend to stick their own 'type' of people.

Those are just a few that I've come up with from the top of my head but feel free to ask anything!

oh really? Well..at least Oxford people show some originality in their thinking. But I guess copying Oxford is a tradition at Cambridge, so it's not really your fault :tongue:
Reply 92
Original post by AkaJetson

*snort of haughty derision*

they're fun when we run out of townies to bait :ahee:
Reply 93
What, and put up with the yukky food, exhorbitant traditions, swarms of pesky tourists and lack of space? :biggrin:

No thank you, my good man. I'm only marginally concerned by the reputation it seems to have as a college of people who are "always high"...:s-smilie:

:rofl:
Reply 94

Now now, where do you hear all these rumours from? They are most certainly not true! (...Not that I'm even there yet of course!:colondollar:)

Come on, it's not like Pembroke's much better! :P
Reply 95
The banter on this thread amuses me xD...but can anyone tell me the general consensus about Robinson? I have an offer and I loved the feel of the place the two times I've been there (open day and interview)...but what do people actually at the college and at other colleges think of it?
Which colleges have cats?

Which colleges have the most cats?

Of the colleges that have cats, which are the cutest?

Of the colleges that have cats, which are the friendliest?

How prominent a role do the college cats play in the lives of Cambridge undergraduates?

To what extent would you argue that the college cats are the single most important influence in the personal support of the Cambridge undergraduates?

(Edit: I should add this disclaimer, for any miserable TSR cat-haters, that I do not expect these questions to be answered...)

St John's used to have a cat that roamed freely across the grounds...it lived in my friend's room for a week or so...I think it died :frown:
Reply 97
Now now, where do you hear all these rumours from? They are most certainly not true! (...Not that I'm even there yet of course!:colondollar:)

Come on, it's not like Pembroke's much better! :P

LITTLE DID YOU KNOW I carefully fashioned those criticisms so I could turn them into a wonderful rebuttal if you decided to throw them back at me! MUAHAHAH

Pembroke has a good reputation for food, it's pretty laid-back, it's just out of the way of the tourists and it's very spacious.

(clashing sound of a sword being disarmed and clattering to the ground)
Reply 98
Christ's have a cat. It(we don't know it's sex or it name) seems friendly, but it's not attention seeking. Most of the time people with rooms on the ground floors rescue it from the tourists.

I'm not sure if it actually lives in college because I don't see it that often, so it might only be visiting us.
Reply 99
Yes, do visit, it's so lovely :biggrin: Very pretty and very peaceful for a central college. It's sort of a bit like Christ's in a way, in that there's a good variety of architecture and it's quite spacious.

I want to meet Stephen Hawking too...how often does he attend these formal halls, exactly? :ahee:

Err, not sure. Hopefully fairly regularly? :redface:
:colone: Sounds pretty awesome! Are you allowed to attend formals in other colleges?

Yes of course, although you have to know someone at the college to sign you in as a guest. Some people try and have formal at all 31 but it can prove to be quite a challenge especially when you consider that some colleges are grad only.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending