The Student Room Group

OCR A2 'Drama and Poetry pre-1800' 20th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by agoetcherian
I've been reliably informed that the hot topic would be race for Othello, but I have a feeling that the exam board might be trying to prove a point by saying that Othello is about so much more than just race, and not bring it at all.

I think race for this exam is undeniably too narrow and more suitable for GCSE 10 mark questions, but it's certainly something you can mention in any Othello essay.

I would've loved an Iago question but he's already come up :frown:
Original post by snow leopard
I think race for this exam is undeniably too narrow and more suitable for GCSE 10 mark questions, but it's certainly something you can mention in any Othello essay.

I would've loved an Iago question but he's already come up :frown:

If you think that then you're looking at it way too narrowly. 'How far is Othello a play entirely concerned with race?' would be a very good essay to look at. It will particularly involve looking at the language used by people like Iago, the Duke and the Senators.
Reply 62
If you think that then you're looking at it way too narrowly. 'How far is Othello a play entirely concerned with race?' would be a very good essay to look at. It will particularly involve looking at the language used by people like Iago, the Duke and the Senators.

And obviously you can argue against that saying that it isn't 'entirely' concerned with race...
Reply 63

You're actually right - I was thinking too narrowly. Having had a brief brainstorm I can see it's a potentially great question.
Original post by cerrr
And obviously you can argue against that saying that it isn't 'entirely' concerned with race...

Of course! :smile:

You're actually right - I was thinking too narrowly. Having had a brief brainstorm I can see it's a potentially great question.

So my point was, on the face of it, Othello seems to be a play very much concerned with race, but there's a huge amount of criticism that says it's about so much more than race. I wonder if OCR will want to avoid the perhaps 'mainstream' view that it's about race, and try to make a point by not mentioning the big fat elephant in the room in any of their papers (this is, after all, the last June paper, and the Jan paper will have significantly fewer people taking it).
Reply 65
Original post by susie27
I'm also doing Twelfth Night. Looking at the past papers most major characters have already come up except for Olivia which looks really likely although I don't want to rely on that too much. For a theme, possibly madness? or melancholy? It could be anything really. What do you think?

I am also doing twelfth night with paradise/faustus and as you say pretty much anything can come up :s-smilie:
Reply 66
Of course! :smile:

So my point was, on the face of it, Othello seems to be a play very much concerned with race, but there's a huge amount of criticism that says it's about so much more than race. I wonder if OCR will want to avoid the perhaps 'mainstream' view that it's about race, and try to make a point by not mentioning the big fat elephant in the room in any of their papers (this is, after all, the last June paper, and the Jan paper will have significantly fewer people taking it).

Also doing Othello and had thought race was unlikely to be used but thats a very good point made. Could definitely see them using a question similar to that but past papers to seem to be more specific?
Original post by LeSacMagique
I'm flattered you thought I was a highlight! Anyone else doing Pardoner's Tale + Faustus?

Yes I am! I really love the two texts together, I'm not so keen on Othello though!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 68
Hey guys I am doing english lit. as well and had a little bit of trouble working out what i need to get in this exam.

My marks so far are:

AS:
62/120
46/80

A2:
24/80
42/120
174 is what i have so far - is this UMS or marks?

I know that the A2 grades were low but I really am just aiming for a D overall for English (i fell out of love with the subject, hence why my mark for the coursework was low).

I have checked the grading system on the spec and it shows that 174 is an E so far. To get to a D i need 26 but is this UMS or marks? Im so confused.

Any help will be grateful :biggrin:
Original post by mkigz77
Hey guys I am doing english lit. as well and had a little bit of trouble working out what i need to get in this exam.

My marks so far are:

AS:
62/120
46/80

A2:
24/80
42/120

I know that the A2 grades were low but I really am just aiming for a D overall for English (i fell out of love with the subject, hence why my mark for the coursework was low).

I have checked the grading system on the spec and it shows that 174 is an E so far. To get to a D i need 26 but is this UMS or marks? Im so confused.

That's UMS. If you want a rough guide, halve it to get raw marks - this isn't precise at all but it's the best we can do. You need an extra 26 UMS (around 13 marks) in order to get a D, which means (assuming you're retaking this exam) that you have to get 68/120 UMS (around 34/60 marks in this exam).
How many sides do you typically write for Othello and Faustus/Pardoner?

If you were told before 15th May, remember that your mark is subject to possible change (moderation).

I do about 4 for Faustus/Pardoner and about 3 for Othello :smile:

Original post by mkigz77

My marks so far are:

AS:
62/120
46/80

A2:
24/80
42/120

It'll be UMS.
But if you notice that UMS seems to be double the actual marks. For instance, I got 40 for coursework, but in UMS that would be 80.

Under that logic, under standardisation rules, I think it'd be 13/60.. Perhaps.

I was thinking about potential questions for Othello and I just wondered of anyone knew of the treatment of women had come up before at any point? It could be a good question!

Reply 73
That's UMS. If you want a rough guide, halve it to get raw marks - this isn't precise at all but it's the best we can do. You need an extra 26 UMS (around 13 marks) in order to get a D, which means (assuming you're retaking this exam) that you have to get 68/120 UMS (around 34/60 marks in this exam).

Yeah i am retaking this unit. Ok thanks for that i understand it a lot better.
Reply 74
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
It'll be UMS.
But if you notice that UMS seems to be double the actual marks. For instance, I got 40 for coursework, but in UMS that would be 80.

Under that logic, under standardisation rules, I think it'd be 13/60.. Perhaps.

Ok thanks for you knowledge i appreciate it. What areas of this exam are you doing? Im doing Othello and Donne/Malfi
Original post by Charlotte_19
I was thinking about potential questions for Othello and I just wondered of anyone knew of the treatment of women had come up before at any point? It could be a good question!

'The women of Othello are articulate but tragically unable to save themselves' - came up in Jan 2012 so it's unlikely, unfortunately.
'The women of Othello are articulate but tragically unable to save themselves' - came up in Jan 2012 so it's unlikely, unfortunately.

Oh! Hahaa, maybe not then!

Original post by Charlotte_19
Yes I am! I really love the two texts together, I'm not so keen on Othello though!

Yeah I really really like the Chaucer, and Marlowe's one of my favourite writers, so I enjoy that section a lot--but there is definitely Shakespeare I like more than Othello. It's just a bit dry, really. Not a play I can get excited about.
Original post by mkigz77
Ok thanks for you knowledge i appreciate it. What areas of this exam are you doing? Im doing Othello and Donne/Malfi

Othello, then Chaucer/Faustus :smile: feel so unprepared...

Reply 79
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Othello, then Chaucer/Faustus :smile: feel so unprepared...

Would you happen to have the spec paper? Or did they only produce it for AS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending