Can you become a lawyer with a criminal record?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
khalifa123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have a spent conviction on ABH wondering if i could still become a lawyer??? please help
beepbeeprichie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is no legal problem with you working as a lawyer. You will, however, find it difficult to secure a TC if they ask you about it (and they almost certainly will do if you're applying to major firms). I don't want to put you off law but remember the ridiculous competition for jerbz.
DanielMartin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah it really depends who you work for. Most reputable companies won't take you unfortunately, because it's kind of contradicting the purpose of the company, they in most cases lock people with convictions up not hire them. As bad as that sounds.
ClevaClocks
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well the only profession i think that they look for a criminal conviction is when you want to work for with children.
mistermeowingtons
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ClevaClocks)
Well the only profession i think that they look for a criminal convivition is when you want to work for with children. So if you wanted to become a teacher of a lawyer for a child.
What the hell are you talking about?
beepbeeprichie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DanielMartin)
Yeah it really depends who you work for. Most reputable companies won't take you unfortunately, because it's kind of contradicting the purpose of the company, they in most cases lock people with convictions up not hire them. As bad as that sounds.
Eh?
jjarvis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by khalifa123)
I have a spent conviction on ABH wondering if i could still become a lawyer??? please help
You'll certainly need to declare it when seeking enrolment in the SRA as a matter of character and suitability. Non-disclosure would be discovered, and would be a problem. Whether it will bar you or not will depend on a number of things, including whether you received a custodial or suspended sentence (if you did, it's "exceptionally unlikely" you'll be granted enrolment) and whether it has implications for your character and suitability. The SRA will also consider any sentencing comments.

Violent behaviour is "not compatible with that expected of a prospective solicitor":

Unless there are exceptional circumstances we will refuse your application if you have:

(a)
been responsible for behaviour:

(i)
which is dishonest;

(ii)
which is violent;

(iii)
where there is evidence of discrimination towards others
Beepbeeprichie's statements here are misleading. Danielmartin misses the point. It's not even that law firms might be reluctant to hire someone who's been convicted of ABH (although I'd surmise they would--and every application asks whether you've been convicted of an offence). The SRA can forbid your enrolment as a prospective solicitor, as can the BSB prevent you from becoming a barrister.

I don't know what the circumstances of your conviction are, but I wouldn't under any circumstances assume it's a non-issue.
Jimmy Zoe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought it was mandatory...
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unfortunately I think solicitors are subject to "Enhanced" CRB checks. If your conviction is spent you can legally answer "no" to a question asking if you have any convictions, but in the case of enhanced CRB checks even spent convictions will be disclosed to employers that run the check. This may be difficult even if the SRA doesn't stop you. You need to research this thoroughly and perhaps get some proper advice.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
Unfortunately I think solicitors are subject to "Enhanced" CRB checks. If your conviction is spent you can legally answer "no" to a question asking if you have any convictions, but in the case of enhanced CRB checks even spent convictions will be disclosed to employers that run the check. This may be difficult even if the SRA doesn't stop you. You need to research this thoroughly and perhaps get some proper advice.
This is wrong in two respects.

Unless the applicant will be working with children or vulnerble adults then he or she is only subject to a standard CRB check.

However, applying to be a solicitor is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and so spent convictions must be disclosed.
star10159
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by khalifa123)
Can you become a doctor with a medical problem?
the_masterlord
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Consider it work experience
RP-MRU.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by star10159)
Two entirely different matters.
plimsolls
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by star10159)
? Having a medical condition doesn't say anything about your character. Although I believe if you have hiv, for example, you are not allowed to do certain things.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
This is wrong in two respects.

Unless the applicant will be working with children or vulnerble adults then he or she is only subject to a standard CRB check.

However, applying to be a solicitor is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and so spent convictions must be disclosed.
I have done some more digging and this is correct. However, solicitors are subject to a "Standard CRB" check which seems to be less stringent than the "Enhanced CRB check" but less stringent than the "Basic CRB" check which only reveals unspent convictions. The Standard Check appears to reveal spent and unspent convictions, warnings held on the Police National Computer, cautions and reprimands. This would cover the Op even if his conviction is spent.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
I have done some more digging and this is correct. However, solicitors are subject to a "Standard CRB" check which seems to be less stringent than the "Enhanced CRB check" but less stringent than the "Basic CRB" check which only reveals unspent convictions. The Standard Check appears to reveal spent and unspent convictions, warnings held on the Police National Computer, cautions and reprimands. This would cover the Op even if his conviction is spent.
May I just stress that the obligation to disclose and what will be be revealed by a CRB check are two entirely separate matters.

An intending solicitor who does not reveal something which he is requested to disclose in the application form will be in serious trouble and it would be no excuse to say that the matter in question wasn't/wouldn't be disclosed by the standard CRB check. The SRA would regard that as akin to "it isn't stealing unless you are caught". The SRA, rightly, expects that solicitors answer honestly regardless of whether the information would be otherwise discoverable.

Two examples of this are:-

1 Failure to disclose an overseas conviction by someone who wasn't resident abroad. People who have lived abroad have to provide CRB equivalents for the places they have lived but no overseas check is carried out on people who were just visiting abroad.

2 Failure to disclose (in the section on "Any Other Behaviour") any other offences committed but not detected before theapplication.
Playa10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well law firms want you to have experience in the legal field...what better way to show it then getting a criminal record!!
Jokera1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on whether its terminal and whether you can completed your degree before you die
ikhan94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on the type of act you did, you can search the course you want to do and see the requirements
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This thread is 3 years old.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (0)
0%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (1)
25%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (1)
25%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
25%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
25%

Watched Threads