The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wear a hole in the floor.
If you are going to run on the spot you may as well get a skipping rope or something!
Reply 3
Maybe, but I'm asking what the mentioned exercise will do for me!
Reply 4
Improve your cardio, guess weight loss comes with that (if that's what you want)
Reply 5
So nobody can tell me what that specific exercise will do for me?
Original post by Freak Out

It will burn MINIMAL calories and that's about it, wasting your time to be honest.

Not a great deal
It depends what intensity you run at. When I first started losing weight, all I did was running on the spot using the Wii Fit, and I have managed to lose a fair amount of weight without really doing all that much more than that. Anything that gets your heart rate up is good for fat burning, so get a bit breathless and push yourself :-). I like to listen to music as it takes your mind off the exercise a bit.

If you're mostly sedentary at the moment, ANY exercise is better than NO exercise.
It will give you a sweat bath!

It will also give you severe boredom

:P!!!!
Just.... Run outside?
I have a normal looking body but due to being completely sedentary and overeating my stomach looks like a balloon, fortunately the rest of me looks ok.

Daily running*

It won't burn as much energy as actually running. When you jog on the spot, all you're doing is lifting your legs up and down again, and this mainly works your calf muscles. This is because you're lifting off on your forefoot and then landing again on your forefoot. When you run normally, you lift off on your forefoot and land on your heel. And since you're moving your entire body forwards, you're utilising more muscles in your body which results in more energy expenditure.
Original post by concubine
Just.... Run outside?

The gif in your signature literally had me laughing out loud. Well done. :biggrin:
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
The gif in your signature literally had me laughing out loud. Well done. :biggrin:

The OP should probably try copying the dog, would likely be better exercise than just standing there jogging.
I have a normal looking body but due to being completely sedentary and overeating my stomach looks like a balloon, fortunately the rest of me looks ok.

Daily running*

I wouldn't suggest running on the spot. Why not find a 20 minute round trip outside. You will feel a lot more benefit with the same timings.
Reply 15
Why would you run on the spot rather than run outside? That would just bore my brains out.
Reply 16
its pretty much like the game on the wii fit where you run around the island so doing that for 20 minutes will according to my fitness pal burn 83 calories
Reply 17
Original post by concubine
Just.... Run outside?

This.
Get some trainers and run outside.
Reply 18

Daily running*

It will make you very bored

Go for a jog outside
Reply 19
Running on the spot?!

People actually do that? Man up and run like a normal person.

Latest