The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle accommodation thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

I'm in a refurbished flat, but they don't 'refurbish' the windows, nor the heaters! Too bad it's like that, 'cause it's really nice, I have a big room!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Sarah Frog
I'm in a refurbished flat, but they don't 'refurbish' the windows, nor the heaters! Too bad it's like that, 'cause it's really nice, I have a big room!

Ah well. That's the only bad thing I've heard about St Mary's that might've made a difference. But I live in a house this year where one of my housemates has an aversion to putting the heating on, so I'm sure I'll be fine!! Thanks for the warning though :smile:
Reply 82
Was thinking of going for Castle Leazes or Ricky Road, anyone have any pros/cons for either??
Ill be doing self catered, probably single washbasin and close to uni is a must. I saw Castle Leazes on the open day, looked alright Im not fussy, but everyone seems to think its crap/ricky road is better?
Original post by p7052
i think we do it next year. most gap students seem to get their first choice accommodation which is good. What are you hoping to study at Newcastle ?

Oh thats good then :smile: If I get my grades in the summer etc I may give the uni a ring and ask to apply before I go travelling in November!

Media, Communication and Cultural studies...you?
Reply 84
Any local students here? :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by Sarah Frog
I'd advise you to spend money on blankets then, I'm living here this year, Insulation is a complete c***, right now, both my windows are insulated with newspapers and cello tape, I have a fleece blanket over my legs, a fleece pull-over, a sports jacket, another fleece blanket over my shoulders, and I'm thinking of putting the kettle on for the hot water bottle...

It's nowhere near that bad. During the winter months of December and January, I brought another single duvet, slept with 2 duvets on me and I was fine :smile:
Apart from that, I haven't been cold in my room and pratically always have my window open.
Reply 86
Mega stressing about which accomodation to apply for!
Ive applied for Sociology at Newcastle University and am now wanting to get my accomodation application in.
I would reeeeeally like to have an en suite but also want to be somewhere very sociable and friendly!
I was originally going to apply for victoria hall, but everyone seems to think thats boring and have considered central link? But thats expensive :/! sooooo stuck!
So basically, im looking for ensuite and sociable if atall possible!
PLEASE HELP! :wink:
Original post by Abcrew
It's nowhere near that bad. During the winter months of December and January, I brought another single duvet, slept with 2 duvets on me and I was fine :smile:
Apart from that, I haven't been cold in my room and pratically always have my window open.

So St Mary's isn't so bad? Not that I mind the cold, but I was a little apprehensive about the newspaper/sellotape insulation procedures! I quite like seeing out of my window haha
Reply 88
Original post by Fraiyah
Mega stressing about which accomodation to apply for!
Ive applied for Sociology at Newcastle University and am now wanting to get my accomodation application in.
I would reeeeeally like to have an en suite but also want to be somewhere very sociable and friendly!
I was originally going to apply for victoria hall, but everyone seems to think thats boring and have considered central link? But thats expensive :/! sooooo stuck!
So basically, im looking for ensuite and sociable if atall possible!
PLEASE HELP! :wink:

How about Windsor Terrace? They have some en suite (do you really need that...?). My friend lived there, it seemed pretty sociable. It's right by the library, literally on campus, so there are always students floating around. I wish I had chosen it actually, it's unbeatable for location.
Reply 89
Original post by weirdwakkidolli
So St Mary's isn't so bad? Not that I mind the cold, but I was a little apprehensive about the newspaper/sellotape insulation procedures! I quite like seeing out of my window haha

The only problem I have had at St Marys is the fact that the windows are only single-glazed. Therefore during the night when it is warm in your room but cold outside, the windows fog up with condensation. This is easily solved just by opening your window for 5 minutes in the morning.

It is nowhere near as cold as what the other poster said and there are heaters in each bedroom and kitchen as well. The heaters are a little bit old in the fact that they store heat up and then when you turn it on, it releases all of the stored heat until it runs out. This is a bit annoying as it can mean the room becomes too warm if anything as you can't stop the heat until it runs out.

Compared to Ricky road (a friend lives there and we pay near enough the same amount of rent each week) we have absolute luxury here with a common room including pool, snooker, tv's and table tennis. It is just a 5 minute bus ride away if you don't mind getting the bus

Edit - I see you too are also from Manchester :biggrin: but support the wrong football team :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
do u know if you have to put a catered choice? i put one but want to get rid of it!!
Original post by babes1112
do u know if you have to put a catered choice? i put one but want to get rid of it!!

no you shouldn't need to put one.. but i think u have to put a different preference depending on ur first choice.. for eg i had my first choice as self catered en suite and the second part didn't have the en suite option, and they make u apply for a room with washbasin but it was self catered again..
Original post by Abcrew
The only problem I have had at St Marys is the fact that the windows are only single-glazed. Therefore during the night when it is warm in your room but cold outside, the windows fog up with condensation. This is easily solved just by opening your window for 5 minutes in the morning.

It is nowhere near as cold as what the other poster said and there are heaters in each bedroom and kitchen as well. The heaters are a little bit old in the fact that they store heat up and then when you turn it on, it releases all of the stored heat until it runs out. This is a bit annoying as it can mean the room becomes too warm if anything as you can't stop the heat until it runs out.

Compared to Ricky road (a friend lives there and we pay near enough the same amount of rent each week) we have absolute luxury here with a common room including pool, snooker, tv's and table tennis. It is just a 5 minute bus ride away if you don't mind getting the bus

Edit - I see you too are also from Manchester :biggrin: but support the wrong football team :angry:

I can deal with single glazing. I like to open my window a lot anyway to air my room out. Noise doesn't bother me too much either so that's not so bad.

I thought that about Ricky Road - same rent, no washbasin, strange shaped and sized rooms and not the best kitchens. Only thing that seems better is the location, and maybe the fact that it's "party central" - but tbh, I've done the crazy fresher thing once, and don't feel the need to go to party central when I've heard the people at St Mary's are generally really sociable too.

And yes I am :smile: But a born and raised red it is true. Take it you're a City fan? :rolleyes:
Reply 93
Original post by weirdwakkidolli
I can deal with single glazing. I like to open my window a lot anyway to air my room out. Noise doesn't bother me too much either so that's not so bad.

I thought that about Ricky Road - same rent, no washbasin, strange shaped and sized rooms and not the best kitchens. Only thing that seems better is the location, and maybe the fact that it's "party central" - but tbh, I've done the crazy fresher thing once, and don't feel the need to go to party central when I've heard the people at St Mary's are generally really sociable too.

And yes I am :smile: But a born and raised red it is true. Take it you're a City fan? :rolleyes:

Single glazing isn't too much of a problem, but I have heard people say that they will be putting double glazing in over the summer (not sure how true this is though) :smile:

Ricky road only has the location really, but like you say no washbasin, strange shaped rooms (my mate's room has 7 walls :confused: ) Another annoying thing about Ricky Road is the fact that there are no supermarkets near by. You have to either go to the local corner shop or venture into town and go to the tesco metro, both are really expensive!

Plus, St marys can be quite sociable, it's what you make of it really. If everyone is up for partying and having fun then you can guarantee to have a good time.

Yep :biggrin: From Manchester and support the best team too, I have good parents :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 94

I had my first 3 choices as self catered ensuite, then the next 3 as self catered washbasin (although I only put 2 choices in)
Then I had to tick a box to say that I could potentially end up in catered anyway, I tried to submit my application without it ticked but it wouldn't let me. If that's what you mean?
Reply 95
well i wasnt gunna go to newc so i like put a form in , andi wasnt too bothered what i put. but in the end i firmed it and asked them to send me a copy. but it says catered choice - castle leazes? but there is no way that i am staying there!! so do you think it will just be that? Where did you put for your choices?
Reply 96
Original post by aeyurttaser13
no you shouldn't need to put one.. but i think u have to put a different preference depending on ur first choice.. for eg i had my first choice as self catered en suite and the second part didn't have the en suite option, and they make u apply for a room with washbasin but it was self catered again..

ok well my form says i have applied for catered , it says like 1s choice self catered and then it says 2nd self catered... but then underneath it says catered alternative ..!! and there is no way i am going catered! arghhhh
ok well my form says i have applied for catered , it says like 1s choice self catered and then it says 2nd self catered... but then underneath it says catered alternative ..!! and there is no way i am going catered! arghhhh

oh dont worry about that, it's just there to guarantee u a place.. like if u don't get any of your options, and NO self catered room is available, then it just means that u have to settle for catered. but i doubt it would happen unless u apply very late :tongue: and its in everybody's application who applies for self catered, mine too :smile:
btw where did u apply for?
Reply 98
victoria hall , windsor terrace then central link for single ensuite
then
windsor terrace and marris house for single with washbasin. wbu?
Reply 99
Anybody know when unconditional offer holders hear about accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending