The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Freshers 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i havnt received my birmingham offer yet, but i'm hopin i'd sooner than later. its the only university that i applied to, so i believe im fit to rant here. :smile:. btw, i've applied for creative writing. anyone here pursuing the same?

and do you know how long it takes for the entire applications processing to get done?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 21
Original post by uob
Possibly add 5 minutes to both of the times I previously said, as those buildings are on the further side of campus to all the halls you've mentioned.
And it's not that you can't attend the events at any other hall, but the Residents' Associations who put on events in individual halls do so for their particular residents. You wouldn't go unless you were living in that hall.
There are of course large scale events open to all, as well as society events open to students or their members, but my point was that Opal 1 doesn't have a dedicated Residents' Association, so your hall-specific events would be run along with the other halls without one, under FOCSOC.

5 more min :eek: if i get offer from victoria hall then better i should choose that :smile: else go for atiken ... i am very popular being late for classes :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by KopCat
Mason Flat 111 :smile: One of my good friends just finished Sociology at Bham and is gonna be 2nd year next year, she loved it!

Ooh I like Mason :smile: I'm going to be living in Elgar. That's good to hear! :biggrin: I'm hoping it will be better than Law, which I've just changed from.
Reply 23
I had my unconditional to study Bsc Economics back in September and it's taken forever for me to find anyone that has also been on a gap year! Desperate to find out which accommodation I've got, though not keen on paying Β£550 upfront! :frown:
Reply 24
just joinedd this thread! we need to get the freshrs FB page going! going to study Maths BSC this year :biggrin: SO EXCITDD. and i wanna live at pritchatts house! hopefully we all get the accomodations we want..
Reply 25
There will be an official Facebook page made for new Freshers closer to A-Level results day, when the majority of people know where they will be studying.

To the person concerned about not finding any gap year people - I'm sure there will be some, if not, you won't feel old - trust me. However, due to the fee increase, I guess there may be fewer gap year students than usual.

With regard to paying Β£550 upfront - that is quite standard. You will feel it more when you look for a house for your second year in that they will ask for a Β£250-Β£400 deposit at the point of signing (probably in January/February) which is a pain since you are still paying hall rent at the same time.
Reply 26
Original post by bretters
it's taken forever for me to find anyone that has also been on a gap year!

im on a gap year toooo :biggrin:
Hey Bretters and gk13, this too was a gap year for me ! Happy to know that people like me do exist.
Reply 28
I live in Jarratt Hall, it is close to campus and Aldi, Tesco. But never go to Vale. Even though it has a great view but transportation is really hard. I am postgrad by the way
Reply 29
Original post by slr.722
I live in Jarratt Hall, it is close to campus and Aldi, Tesco. But never go to Vale. Even though it has a great view but transportation is really hard. I am postgrad by the way

But from this year jarat hall is not available for PG students ... only option would be atiken or mason :frown: would a bike help to reduce the transportation problem in vale ??
Reply 30
I dont have a conditional offer, but so long as I didnt mess my biology exam up as badly as I think I did, then I will be coming to birmingham in september due to my grades I have now.

For all you gap years...I am 25 therefore can assure you wont be the oldest there lol

Anyone that wants 2 chat that is going to birmingham send me a message :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by kk.creare
But from this year jarat hall is not available for PG students ... only option would be atiken or mason :frown: would a bike help to reduce the transportation problem in vale ??

For next 2 year jarratt is not available for PG. Honestly, I never ride bike in UK but when you consider the weather, it might be difficult sometimes. Just check the distance between the vale and the campus and city centre. It is really nice place to live but transportation is the problem.
Reply 32
Original post by kk.creare
haha .. i don want to be with kids ..i am in an age where i would like to give birth to kids :tongue:
any idea how much time it takes from vale to uni if i have a bike .. is there any shortcuts or need take main road ??

It depends where you live on the vale. I have a few friends who cycle and it is much quicker but they cycle along the main road and it's really busy. I'd like to cycle myself but am a bit worried about being run over :tongue:. From Elgar it takes about 25-30 minutes, I think it's about 15 with a bike.
Reply 33
i have put atiken as my first preference.. not much options left for PG students so forced to go with atiken :redface: So any plans of attending olympics ?? I love to ..but by the time i reach UK ...all events might have got over :s-smilie:
Reply 34
does anyone know when the 2012 freshers week starts? on the birmingham uni website it says term starts on the 24th sept - is this when freshers week begins or actual lectures?
Reply 35
For those of you that would like a little more information on accommodation (especially w.r.t Pritchatt's Park), here's what I've learned from my experience as a fresher last year:

Pritchatt's is closer to the uni than the vale. The halls on the vale are up to a 25 minute walk, unless you're in tennis courts which is 15. I stayed in the Spinney in Pritchatts this year and it was really nice, decent sized bedrooms, kitchens were donw up last summer so theyre still in a really good condition. Pritchatts is quieter than the vale but we still get smashed and have fun and parties etc. There's more of a community feel in Pritchatts (well in the spinney or oakly at least- never got round to going to ashcroft but they look a bit like council houses and the have indoor stairwells istead of outdoor stairwells which would be annoying mainly if you're a smoker). I've heard a rumour that the kitchens in Oakley are gettin done up this summer too, and they aslo have really nice balcony doors that open out into the grass courtyard if you're on the ground floor.

Overall if you don't fancy the walk from the vale, other than tennis courts which is close but has a reputation for being extremely loud and noisy, Pritchatts is definitely the place to be! And if you get the Spinney or Oakley then wahey even better! Pritchatts is the underdog! Although I wouldpoint out that the nearest shop is a 15 minute walk and the only cash point on campus charges Β£1.85 per transaction unlike the vale which have a free cash point.

At the end of the day wherever you get put there will be other people there in the same position as you- and its about the people really not the place anyway!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by becca8163
does anyone know when the 2012 freshers week starts? on the birmingham uni website it says term starts on the 24th sept - is this when freshers week begins or actual lectures?

i think it starts from 17th sept... coz they have official airport pick up on 15&16th .. so probably it starts from 17th ..even in past it was the same i guess... and from 24th actual classes. by the way which course you joining :wink:
Reply 37
Original post by IloveTEA
For those of you that would like a little more information on accommodation (especially w.r.t Pritchatt's Park), here's what I've learned from my experience as a fresher last year:

Pritchatt's is closer to the uni than the vale. The halls on the vale are up to a 25 minute walk, unless you're in tennis courts which is 15. I stayed in the Spinney in Pritchatts this year and it was really nice, decent sized bedrooms, kitchens were donw up last summer so theyre still in a really good condition. Pritchatts is quieter than the vale but we still get smashed and have fun and parties etc. There's more of a community feel in Pritchatts (well in the spinney or oakly at least- never got round to going to ashcroft but they look a bit like council houses and the have indoor stairwells istead of outdoor stairwells which would be annoying mainly if you're a smoker). I've heard a rumour that the kitchens in Oakley are gettin done up this summer too, and they aslo have really nice balcony doors that open out into the grass courtyard if you're on the ground floor.

Overall if you don't fancy the walk from the vale, other than tennis courts which is close but has a reputation for being extremely loud and noisy, Pritchatts is definitely the place to be! And if you get the Spinney or Oakley then wahey even better! Pritchatts is the underdog! Although I wouldpoint out that the nearest shop is a 15 minute walk and the only cash point on campus charges Β£1.85 per transaction unlike the vale which have a free cash point.

At the end of the day wherever you get put there will be other people there in the same position as you- and its about the people really not the place anyway!

ya your are correct .. there are many good points about pritchatts... but from this year quite less options for PG students .. only apartments or studios available Pritchatts ... and they are very costly .. so seems vale is the only option ;-p
Reply 38
Hut
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Sophie117
I'm staying at the heights, private halls..anyone else? Xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You might be in the wrong forum. This is for the University of Birmingham, but the Heights has generally been for Aston or Birmingham City University students.

Quick Reply

Latest