aqua05
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Can anyone rate for me this question

EXPLAIN HOW THE STRUCTURE OF THE MAMMALIAN LUNG IS ADAPTED FOR RAPID GASEOUS EXCHANGE 6 marks

The mammalian lung has small and millions of alveoli which increases the surface area in which diffusion takes place. The membrane around the alveoli is thin and is made up of squamous epithelium which is flat, which further increases the surface area and reduces the diffusion distance. Larger the surface area, the faster the the gaseous molecules come into contact with the surface, thus increasing the rate of diffusion of gases.
The lungs are very well ventilated. there is high concentration of oxygen in the alveoli and high concentration of CO2 in the blood vessel from the heart, thus CO2 diffuses out if the blood into the lungs via the moist lining and O2 diffuses from the alveoli into the blood vessels. The moist lining makes gaseous exchange possible as gas exchange would dissolve into the moisture thus the gases diffuses faster.
The alveoli is surrounded by a vast network of capillaries which is one cell thick, which reduces the diffusion distance and also makes the gases diffuse much more faster and efficient. The network of capillaries also maintains a steep concentration gradient thus increasing the rate of diffusion.

Feel free to comment
MANY THANKS
Mocking_bird
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aqua05)

EXPLAIN HOW THE STRUCTURE OF THE MAMMALIAN LUNG IS ADAPTED FOR RAPID GASEOUS EXCHANGE 6 marks

The mammalian lung has small and millions of alveoli which increases the surface area in which diffusion takes place. The membrane around the alveoli is thin and is made up of squamous epithelium which is flat, which further increases the surface area and reduces the diffusion distance. Larger the surface area, the faster the the gaseous molecules come into contact with the surface, thus increasing the rate of diffusion of gases.
The lungs are very well ventilated. there is high concentration of oxygen in the alveoli and high concentration of CO2 in the blood vessel from the heart, thus CO2 diffuses out if the blood into the lungs via the moist lining and O2 diffuses from the alveoli into the blood vessels. The moist lining makes gaseous exchange possible as gas exchange would dissolve into the moisture thus the gases diffuses faster.
The alveoli is surrounded by a vast network of capillaries which is one cell thick, which reduces the diffusion distance and also makes the gases diffuse much more faster and efficient. The network of capillaries also maintains a steep concentration gradient thus increasing the rate of diffusion.

Feel free to comment
MANY THANKS
I'm pretty sure you already know this is 6 marks :facepalm:
aqua05
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Mocking_bird)
I'm pretty sure you already know this is 6 marks :facepalm:
just want to make sure i have written it properly & i get those 6 marks
tobeobi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Feel free to comment
MANY THANKS
Hi, your answer is really good! i was just wondering if you or anyone in this thread knew where in the textbook I can find some info on how the lungs are adapted to gas exchange??
klynch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Feel free to comment
MANY THANKS
very useful thank you
honeybeesavo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
great answer, very informative.
LT13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Looks great but I'm not sure if it's important being specific about the fact the alveoli increase the surface to volume ratio, highlighting the fact that the large surface area they have is very large in terms of the actual volume of space they occupy. Other than that looks pretty solid. Another thing would be that there would be more surfaces for the oxygen/CO2 to diffuse through and therefore diffusion is faster, it's semi-implied but might be important and just help your understanding.
casdfsadf
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One thing that has confused me for a while is the moist linning of the alveoli. The AQA AS biology book by Pauline Lowrie ... states on P117 that the thin film of water in fact slows the rate of diffusion (as it increases the distance and is also a medium which slows the rate of diffusion camparably to air). This consequently contradicts what is said previously, where it aids the process.For those who don't have the book the reasoning goes that a moist lining is an unavoidable feature as a membrane permeable to oxygen is also permeable to water.Both of these sound feasible but entirely contradictory.
Ruhab Dabeer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Very nerdy answer
Ruhab Dabeer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Feel free to comment
MANY THANKS
Very nerdy
D:/
Eashy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Feel free to comment
MANY THANKS
So key points to talk about are:
-High Surface Area
-Rich blood supply
-Moist surface
-Short diffusion distance
This is a very good answer. Thank you for help
Ruhab Dabeer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah just don't be nerdy about it
(Original post by Eashy)
So key points to talk about are:
-High Surface Area
-Rich blood supply
-Moist surface
-Short diffusion distance
This is a very good answer. Thank you for help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.46%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.53%

Watched Threads