Turn on thread page Beta

is this inappropriate brother/sister behaviour? watch

Not really sure where to start with this, but basically Im really close to my family but physically we dont really hug or touch at all.

Now, I know its normal to hug your family, kiss on the cheek etc when you greet them, but Im a bit concerned about my boyfriends relationship with his sister.

(Id like to make it clear that Im not saying any of this out of jealousy, I just genuinely want an idea of what is normal to other families, because to me, this is strange).

He hugs her for prolonged periods of time, and they will just stand hugging with their eyes closed for a good few minutes. Also, when im there, he will hug her from behind, play with her hair and hold and stroke her hands. We went out to a family event, and he sat next to her on the sofa, put his arm round her and they started looking at each other rather lovingly. Ive seen him sit with her half on his lap with her head buried in his chest, cuddling and playing with her hair.

I dont want to over react (which i probably am), but personally i would find this uncomfortable!
    Is it normal? Do other siblings do this with each other?

No, I too would feel a bit weirded out tbh. It is a bit awkward to mention it because they are siblings but in this case I think something needs to be said.

ReputationRep:
    very weird lol.

ReputationRep:
    hmm it does seem a little too close to me, admittedly I'm an only child so that isn't personal experience, but all the friends with siblings I know aren't that close physically. Just to ask, is she fully biologically related or is she a stepsister, or adopted or anything?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. Im quite like this with 3 of my cousins (grew up with them so they are my brothers really) mainly the eldest, often snuggle up on the sofa, sit on his knee etc, but he is 8 years older than me so has always been very protective.

your bfs relationship with his sis is probably a bit closer than normal, but its unlikely to change so i suppose you'll just have to get used to it :/

ReputationRep:
    Let me reword this.

I don't know if this is normal behaviour because mine and my brothers relationship is the polar opposite to this but I know lots more people who are more close to their own siblings for this to be acceptable.

Is he close to his other family in the same way as he might have just been bought up like this?

STOP NEGGING ME YOU GUYS ARE MEAN

ReputationRep:
    LOL this is quality.

on a serious note.. its also a bit weird & odd. whats he like with his mum etc? and what is the family like with each other? might how they all are..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not really sure where to start with this, but basically Im really close to my family but physically we dont really hug or touch at all.

Now, I know its normal to hug your family, kiss on the cheek etc when you greet them, but Im a bit concerned about my boyfriends relationship with his sister.

(Id like to make it clear that Im not saying any of this out of jealousy, I just genuinely want an idea of what is normal to other families, because to me, this is strange).

He hugs her for prolonged periods of time, and they will just stand hugging with their eyes closed for a good few minutes. Also, when im there, he will hug her from behind, play with her hair and hold and stroke her hands. We went out to a family event, and he sat next to her on the sofa, put his arm round her and they started looking at each other rather lovingly. Ive seen him sit with her half on his lap with her head buried in his chest, cuddling and playing with her hair.

I dont want to over react (which i probably am), but personally i would find this uncomfortable!
    I am very close to my brother but that does seem a little too close for comfort to me. Are they very close in age? I could understand if there was maybe a big age gap and the sister was quite young. I used to sit on my dads lap right up to my early teens. When we lived together if I was upset or emotional my brother would put his arm around me or give me hug and now we always greet and part with a hug, but some of the things you mention are things I would do with my boyfriend not with my brother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Bit in bold, seems a bit much tbh. I thought you were exaggerating at first, but...

ReputationRep:
    Very weird. I have a sister and we don't do that...

ReputationRep:
    Wow. That is all

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're not wrong there, seems very weird that they are sooo close

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? your sister? your boyfriend? just out of interest

ReputationRep:
    How old is your boyfriend and his sister?

ReputationRep:
    mate they're brother and sister...
    this closeness is rare but it dosent mean it dosent exsist.
    everyone loves their brothers and sisters they just show it in a diffrent way...maybe thats their way of showing it

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, it does seems a little weird... my brother is one of my best friends but we don't behave like that!!

ReputationRep:
    Has any1 seen friends episode were Rachel dates that guy who is too close to his sister...sounds like that
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That's quite unusual. Mind you my three kids cuddle each other all the time, but they're only 2, 4, and 6 so it's not exactly the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Unusual, but harmless. Some siblings do have very close, tactile relationships. I will snuggle my sisters and play with their hair. It's totally non-sexual and non-romantic. Just sisterly affection.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm tbh even if there closeness is a bit er...over-enthusiastic(?) shall we say - I don't think there's all that much you can do with it...doesn't seem like you could mention it without putting your foot in your mouth, so I guess learn to live with it - or move on? Depends how tolerant you are I suppose...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.