Separation of solid lead nitrate from lead nitrate solution GCSE Additional Science

Watch
krisshP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
A question says:
State how solid lead nitrate can be obtained from lead nitrate solution.

The mark scheme section for this question says:

evaporate

or

allow to crystallise

allow heat / boil / cool

do not allow freeze

ignore filtration <-----

ignore distillation

I was told in school that to separate an insoluble solid from a solution you do filtration and to separate a soluble solid from a solution you do evaporation.

What I do not understand is that the question itself does NOT mention whether the solid lead nitrate is an insoluble solid or a soluble solid. AFTER looking at the MARKS SCHEME can I tell that the solid lead nitrate is a soluble solid.

How would I know, just by looking at the question, if the solid lead nitrate is an insoluble solid or a soluble solid?????????:confused:
As it is only then I can decide whether filtration or evaporation should be used to separate the solid lead nitrate from the lead nitrate solution.
pwcroberts
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It would be obvious if it is an insoluble so I would always assume it to be soluble unless stated
krisshP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by pwcroberts)
It would be obvious if it is an insoluble so I would always assume it to be soluble unless stated

Thanks
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The question says that you start with a lead nitrate solution. Do you know what the meaning of 'solution' is, in chemistry?
StuGeo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
All nitrates are soluble compounds
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.92%
I'm not sure (30)
4.8%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (198)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.52%

Watched Threads