Aimee131
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So I am thinking of putting Nottingham Uni as my first choice uni and I was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what it is really like to go there and live in Nottingham.

I'm interested in things such as the campus layout, accommodation quality (any suggestions on whether to go catered or self-catered would also be appreciated), number of students, reputation, quality of teaching etc .. I would also like to know whether how long it takes to get to the city centre and the nightlife

Most importantly, would you recommend it?
Sapientia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Depends how much you enjoy crime.
localfox1000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have been there once, the campus is gorgeous( and frickin' huge)
beepbeeprichie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Amazing campus. There is some excellent non-campus (non-catered) accommodation at decent prices. Campus to city-centre about a 30 minute walk or 5 mins on a bus. As for nightlife I never went out so can't help!
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
-hilly as ****... though ive gotten used to walking up hill and i make couch potatoes look like athletes
-there are hopper buses that are free to use to get around campus
-library facilities quite good but sometimes the computer rooms get full (reference to george green library)
-uni rooms are expensive as hell but thats to be expected with a lot of unis...
- buildings look nice
-catered food- if youre taste buds are not of a rich 90 year old and more like mine, then the food is alright...
-obviously theres a lot of students there but if you walk out on a normal day you wouldnt see too many (compared to the thousands that go there)...
-gym is nice
-they asked me for an interview when i applied, i declined because i was in london, they happily accepted me anyway...
-they offer a somewhat large number of options to disabled students (opinion)
- despite what other people have said on here... i have seen no crime what so ever... its probably the same as any other city (and im from east london)
-in some places you can use wifi outside
-sometimes (not often) people from other halls pull pranks on other halls typically along the lines of making a mess...(not really a problem for you personally though)
-if you live near the west entrance, then shops and all that are about 5-10 mins away...
-im not a clubber so i cant tell you much but there are regular clubbing events (number has died down a little as term started)
-takes about 30 mins to walk through the entire uni park campus
-nice lake, good place to walk around, nice scenery etc...
-you pay for laundry (quid for dryer, 1.40 for washing machine (bring your tablets/blah)... though other places may be more expensive
-if youre catered, you get credit on your ID worth £5.10, you can spend this in the uni cafes (if you have lunch in hall then all of it is taken), no it cant be used in bars...
-your uni ID can get you discounts at some places like ryman (stationary)
-they took FOREVER when deciding whether to accept me even if i met the conditions so dont be worried if you dont instantly know whether you been accepted or not on results day
-theres atleast two libraries to my knowledge...
-you may get print credits, physics students should get twice as many i think, credit for the library, and credit for printing in physics... (though i dont know the total ammount one should be getting so im not certain whether its actually double)

i dont know what other unis are like so i cant really judge but i like it...
ill edit if i can think of more...
Chicharito14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sapientia)
Its not that bad.

Only at night, when your alone, walking down a long lonesome road, and all of a sudden, there shines a shiny demon!

Then you've got a real problem.
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chicharito14)
Its not that bad.

Only at night, when your alone, walking down a long lonesome road, and all of a sudden, there shines a shiny demon!

The first time I went out into town at night someone pulled a banana on me.
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you should have raised the bar and pulled out a banana pie...

banana<banana pie
Aimee131
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks for the comments so far I've been to the uni a couple of times and thought the campus was really nice, huge though. I did have a look round the city too, i thought it was quite nice, this was in daylight though! Is it really that bad at night?
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aimee131)
Thanks for the comments so far I've been to the uni a couple of times and thought the campus was really nice, huge though. I did have a look round the city too, i thought it was quite nice, this was in daylight though! Is it really that bad at night?
ive been out at night, havent had a single thing happen to me... again its prob like any other city...

just use common sense, i.e. keep your belongings with you, dont flash expensive stuff about, stay in a group, etc...

its not a ghetto or something... :rolleyes:
beepbeeprichie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chicharito14)
Its not that bad.

Ah walking down Ilkleston Road alone at 2am.
Chicharito14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nottinghams way of making sure you get one of your five a day!
Chicharito14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by beepbeeprichie)
Ah walking down Ilkleston Road alone at 2am.
Walking through Radford whilst intoxicated isn't a great idea either!
Historiana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Crime isn't a problem unless you're seriously stupid about locking your house or car etc.

Also, the campus is patrolled 24 hours. Crime won't be an issue in first year.

Don't make generalisations when you've probably never been to Nottingham, let alone been a victim of crime there.
natty_d
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

(Original post by crocker710)
Readily available firearms. Pro or Con you decide.

Stop talking absolute nonsense.
Wellseley&Boris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My brother graduated last summer from Nottingham uni (im assuming your not talking about trent).
he has said not to go out (clubs pub etc.) on fridays and saturdays, as the local twenty-yr olds and teenagers hate students.
Historiana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aimee131)
No. Just be sensible and safe.

It's no more dangerous than any other city at night!
Sapientia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Choccielatte)
Crime isn't a problem unless you're seriously stupid about locking your house or car etc.

Also, the campus is patrolled 24 hours. Crime won't be an issue in first year.

Don't make generalisations when you've probably never been to Nottingham, let alone been a victim of crime there.
Don't generalise, right back at you. I have been a student at the University of Nottingham and my friend was burgled there and lost a few thousand worth of electronics. So yeah, don't try and be all pursed lips when you have no clue.

I should point out my original post was tongue-in-cheek. It shouldn't need to be explained that everywhere has crime, and obviously just because I knew someone deeply affected by it, doesn't make it more prevalent. But that is no reason for you to be an ******* to me.
natty_d
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Wellseley&Boris)
My brother graduated last summer from Nottingham uni (im assuming your not talking about trent).
he has said not to go out (clubs pub etc.) on fridays and saturdays, as the local twenty-yr olds and teenagers hate students.
:lolwut:

The only reason to avoid clubs on Fridays/Saturdays is that the prices are not always student friendly. I paid £8 for a drink in Oceana on a friday!

I've been to Gatecrasher on a Friday and it was one of the best nights I've had!
Picnic1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've never visited it but the campus is generally regarded as one of the most iconic in the UK, a white stone building surrounded by parkland as well as more modern developments, one of its most famous students being D H Lawrence.

It's become a bit of a running joke / conspiracy theory though that Nottingham, once regarded as a top 10 university, is now more frequently rated as top 20 by the league tables.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (484)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (594)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (295)
20.51%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (65)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed