Should we bring back Grammar Schools?

Watch
adobe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Nigel Farage certainly thinks so

but whats the argument against Grammar Schools, why the hell did we get rid of them?!

gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We've never got rid of them completely, but there are much less than what there used to be. However, the area I'm from in Dorset is well known for having 4 grammar schools in the area (and there are plenty of private schools too). I guess that it's just not an even spread across the country.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They never left?
mistermojo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
...we got rid of grammar schools?
adobe
Rep:
?
(Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
We've never got rid of them completely, but there are much less than what there used to be. However, the area I'm from in Dorset is well known for having 4 grammar schools in the area (and there are plenty of private schools too). I guess that it's just not an even spread across the country.
i think they may just be called Grammar Schools but have lost the genuine status of one? possibly as thats what my local 'grammar school' did?
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Erm, well one of the possible secondary schools in the area I went to secondary school, Watford, has a grammar school for boys and girls. I assume they have existed up until now.
sun92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
grammar schools don't exists anymore in the UK?!
RP-MRU.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They are still very much present; there are just fewer than before.
adobe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snagprophet)
Erm, well one of the possible secondary schools in the area I went to secondary school, Watford, has a grammar school for boys and girls. I assume they have existed up until now.
i live 5 minutes away, its retained its name but its not actually a grammar school anymore
mevidek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course we should - grammar schools are absolutely brilliant ways to provide an excellent education to the most able students. That said, all - no matter what class or intellect - should receive brilliant education. How would we do this? By simply creating more grammar schools in every borough so that each one has at least 1 of them, and by also forcing grammar schools to accept the top 50% of applicants. Finally, normal comprehensives should be massively improved and aim to be better than the private schools.

One of the things I hate about grammar schools and British society is the idea that poor people can only get far if they get into a grammar school. Comprehensives should produce just as fantastic students, just the attitude should be a little different.

This documentary on the BBC is really interesting and shows just how brilliant grammar schools are.
multiplexing-gamer
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
Im not sure on the matter. I think everyone in primary school should be given a pop quiz style test, then see who is clever enough to get in. I've never really been given chances to go to places like these. Also, it should be on a topic where everyone has equal ability. I was always told I wasn't 'clever enough to go onto higher tables' which was due to Teacher preference, so not everyone has equal opportunities .

EDIT: Im sure the OP needs loads of people telling him Grammar Schools are still here after the 50th person told him.
ameelia22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is a grammar school still a grammar school if it's status is now an academy? Whilst its name stays the same?

My school's done this...
christinasrose
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the point the thread starter is making is not neccessarily that we don't have grammar schools anymore but that the UK went from having an active policy of encouraging/creating/maintaining grammar schools to converting a large number to comprehensives and simply allowing a smaller number to maintain.

Personally I'm in favour of grammar schools (I didn't go to one: not biased in that sense) as I think I give the brightest kids a real chance to have a state provided education of an equivalent standard to private schools.
miserlou
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They still exist, and I don't think we should get rid of them. They provide a higher standard learning environment for children whose parents can't afford to send them to private schools.
lightburns
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
(Original post by adobe)
i live 5 minutes away, its retained its name but its not actually a grammar school anymore
This is true. Also, Parmiter's was forced to limit it's intake, so it's no longer highly selective. It seems the powers up high have been undermining selection in secondary schools.

Watforders are coming out in force tonight
Evangelica
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They still exist but I hear that the government is slowly phasing them out. The one I went to, for example, was last year made an academy and under that title receives surplus government funding. According to this article, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...ls-776763.html one reason is that they separate the rich from the poor, which is nonsense to me as it just means that it gives intelligent but less wealthy children the opportunity of an education that will better nurture their talents without having to pay public or privates school fees.

If anyone caught the BBC documentary on grammar schools the other night (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ory_Episode_1/ ), it highlights this reason for them being founded. Rather than promote inequality, they were built to support equality. I'm not sure I wholly understand our government's motives: taking away EMA (I know it was a system cheated by many but also genuinely supported more than those who took advantage of it), trebling the cost of university education and phasing out grammar schools. You shouldn't have to have a sizeable amount of money in order to get a good education.
LipstickKisses
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, they give everyone a chance to access great education, and allow the more intelligent to get away from those who don't want to learn and will end up disrupting classes. I don't see why they were reduced :dontknow:
inadilemma
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went to a grammar school. I really enjoyed my time there.

The only problem I have with it is that grammar schools don't get state funding so it was sort of falling apart...
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We still have them, but we should get rid of them all. The arguments people progress in favour of them are nonsense but I have had this exact argument so many times on this site and nobody ever listens so what is the point?

I went to one, for some context.
pink pineapple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We never got rid of them, there's just few about. Currently I go to a sixth form at a grammar school after changing secondary school. I am realy enjoying as the standard of teaching is excellantt and alot of the students have much more discipline than some of the students at my old school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (0)
0%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (0)
0%
No I am happy with my choice (0)
0%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads