The Student Room Group

European non English universities, degrees or courses that can do in English?

I know there are European non English universities (France, Germany, etc..... universities) but some of that universities offers degrees in English too so my question are those degrees the same as the degrees they do in the native language.

For example: In a university that majority courses are in French, but there are some engineering courses that can do in French or English so are the students who do the degree in French and English gets the same certificate or different, like the French one is more accepted.

Hope you guys understand this (my English is not very good but thats the only language that I know) and will answer it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luffy.
I know there are European non English universities (France, Germany, etc..... universities) but some of that universities offers degrees in English too so my question are those degrees the same as the degrees they do in the native language.

For example: In a university that majority courses are in French, but there are some engineering courses that can do in French or English so are the students who do the degree in French and English gets the same certificate or different, like the French one is more accepted.

Hope you guys understand this (my English is not very good but thats the only language that I know) and will answer it.

They are the same courses, just taught in English, so would have the same quality and recognition attached to them. However, in the country itself (France especially) they might prefer the course in the native language as that would show you have the language skills as well, however, that would be the only difference. In fact, in some places the courses taught in English could be higher regarded as they are more international and the tutors&lecturers will usually be more international and thus, possibly, of higher calibre.
Reply 2
Original post by logiadoevus
They are the same courses, just taught in English, so would have the same quality and recognition attached to them. However, in the country itself (France especially) they might prefer the course in the native language as that would show you have the language skills as well, however, that would be the only difference. In fact, in some places the courses taught in English could be higher regarded as they are more international and the tutors&lecturers will usually be more international and thus, possibly, of higher calibre.

Thank you so much for the answer, it really helps.
Reply 3

There are no degrees at French universities at undergraduate level taught wholly in English.

Spoiler

I'm not convinced there are any in Germany either as you need C1 German to get into German universities, although I'm not 100% sure about that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by xmarilynx
There are no degrees at French universities at undergraduate level taught wholly in English.

Spoiler

I'm not convinced there are any in Germany either as you need C1 German to get into German universities, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

Thank you for the answer but what about if there is a Germany or Sweden or Norway or etc... a university that offers degrees in English, will it be the same as the native language degree.
Maastricht teaches courses in English.
Reply 6
Original post by Luffy.
are those degrees the same as the degrees they do in the native language.

Original post by Luffy.
... or Norway or etc... a university that offers degrees in English, will it be the same as the native language degree.

In Norway, [at least the University of Oslo] undergrad degrees are taught in Norwegian, while [science] masters are in English (AFAIK). In other words you don't choose whether to do it in English or not, and so they are the same.
Original post by Luffy.
Thank you for the answer but what about if there is a Germany or Sweden or Norway or etc... a university that offers degrees in English, will it be the same as the native language degree.

Yes, it will be. The ones I know of are The Hague, Amsterdam, Rotterdam in The Netherlands; Jonkopping and I think Stochkolm School of Economics (in both Stockholm and Riga, Latvia) in Sweden; Copenhagen in Denmark; Bocconi in Italy. There might be others but these are all good universities and degrees from them will be equally recognised whether they're in English or not.
Reply 8
Original post by Jørgen
In Norway, [at least the University of Oslo] undergrad degrees are taught in Norwegian, while [science] masters are in English (AFAIK). In other words you don't choose whether to do it in English or not, and so they are the same.

Thank you for the answer
Reply 9
Yes, it will be. The ones I know of are The Hague, Amsterdam, Rotterdam in The Netherlands; Jonkopping and I think Stochkolm School of Economics (in both Stockholm and Riga, Latvia) in Sweden; Copenhagen in Denmark; Bocconi in Italy. There might be others but these are all good universities and degrees from them will be equally recognised whether they're in English or not.

Thank you for the answer
Original post by Luffy.

I don't entirely understand what you mean by 'the same'. The European degree system is standardised, so no matter which country or university you get your degree from you still have your 180 units after the three years, so in theory they're all worth the same.

Whether or not the course content is the same depends on the individual universities. I imagine most English taught courses have a more international focus.
Reply 11
Republic of Ireland?
Reply 12
Original post by Luffy.

in spain some courses are in english for students who come from abroad but to go you have you have to show you langauge of spanish is good not fluent but to show you can get around on your own im sure alot of other places are similar so if you want to go uni in a country make sure you know some of the language
Reply 13

Spoiler

germany are very tough on non german students i think you need a science, german a strong subject like history and then a subject similar to the one you study
Reply 14
Original post by Jørgen

A decent number of Master's courses, but far from all of them, are taught in English.
Reply 15
Original post by stifa
A decent number of Master's courses, but far from all of them, are taught in English.

Mhm, I put [science] as I'm not sure about all the departments. However Master's modules are taught in English if there are international students present (which is also the case with some Bachelor modules), and teaching material at that level is in English.
Reply 16
I don't entirely understand what you mean by 'the same'. The European degree system is standardised, so no matter which country or university you get your degree from you still have your 180 units after the three years, so in theory they're all worth the same.

Whether or not the course content is the same depends on the individual universities. I imagine most English taught courses have a more international focus.

Thank you for the answer
Reply 17
Original post by aceguy
in spain some courses are in english for students who come from abroad but to go you have you have to show you langauge of spanish is good not fluent but to show you can get around on your own im sure alot of other places are similar so if you want to go uni in a country make sure you know some of the language

Thank you for the answer
So do you mean without knowing some thing about there language its impossible.
Reply 18
Original post by Luffy.
Thank you for the answer
So do you mean without knowing some thing about there language its impossible.

i know 100% this is the case in spain that you have to speak a decent level of spanish and i would think it would be like that in other countries aswell.
Reply 19
Original post by aceguy
i know 100% this is the case in spain that you have to speak a decent level of spanish and i would think it would be like that in other countries aswell.

Thank you for the information

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending