Using gel pens in exams? Watch

-Haz-
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay I know you’re not supposed to use anything other than a black biro in exams but does anyone flout this rule and use gel pens or fountain pens? I find it impossible to write quickly and neatly with a biro, and you have to press on much harder which makes your hand ache, especially in essay subjects. I’ve always used black gel pens in exams and I’ve never had a problem with it despite it saying not to use them on the front of the paper. But is there any chance I could get disqualified for it? It seems really trivial but I know they can be picky sometimes
umop apisdn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did all my exams with a fountain pen, and mainly blue ink. The problem is, gel pens and fountain pens don't dry as quickly and sometimes smudge and will become illegible when your papers are photocopied.
anuradha_d
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by -Haz-)
Okay I know you’re not supposed to use anything other than a black biro in exams but does anyone flout this rule and use gel pens or fountain pens? I find it impossible to write quickly and neatly with a biro, and you have to press on much harder which makes your hand ache, especially in essay subjects. I’ve always used black gel pens in exams and I’ve never had a problem with it despite it saying not to use them on the front of the paper. But is there any chance I could get disqualified for it? It seems really trivial but I know they can be picky sometimes
As long as it doesnt smudge or shizzle, should be alright.
I used a jelly for lit. Didnt like it though.
SunderX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I doubt they'd be that stringent, unless you somehow have the answers written on the inside of your gel pen. I use fast-drying gel pens specifically for exams all through uni.
RP-MRU.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by umop apisdn)
I did all my exams with a fountain pen, and mainly blue ink. The problem is, gel pens and fountain pens don't try as quickly and sometimes smudge and will become illegible when your papers are photocopied.
Blue ink?
Naarim
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did a GCSE exam in a silver glittery gel pen once... My shadow leaned over the exam paper made it look black.

I wasn't penalised thankfully.
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've always used black gelpens and been fine :dontknow: They're more expensive, but aside from that I can't see why anyone would possibly have an issue with them.
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not sure (in my opinion, I think you can get away with it), but do you want to take that risk? It's an exam not a class test....

Surely your pen couldnt make such a significance difference in one exam? I'd advise using the simple pens they mention just to be safe and just keep practising (incorporate it into your revision so that way you're killing two birds with one stone).... Only use gel if you are 100% sure you could use it in the exam without anything bad happening in regards to when it's being marked....
umop apisdn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RP-MRU.)
Blue ink?
Yes, but this was back in 2004-8 :moon:

God I feel old.
RP-MRU.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by umop apisdn)
Yes, but this was back in 2004-8 :moon:

God I feel old.
Okay, fair enough. No, no, not at all.
-Haz-
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
Not sure (in my opinion, I think you can get away with it), but do you want to take that risk? It's an exam not a class test....

Surely your pen couldnt make such a significance difference in one exam? I'd advise using the simple pens they mention just to be safe and just keep practising (incorporate it into your revision so that way you're killing two birds with one stone).... Only use gel if you are 100% sure you could use it in the exam without anything bad happening in regards to when it's being marked....
You’d be surprised how much difference a pen can make, I find it hard to even use biros in class because they don’t flow across the page properly and they’re constantly running out. I probably am prepared to take the risk, as I’ve said I’ve never had a problem with it before and (stupid as it may sound) I think using a biro could really affect my performance.
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by -Haz-)
You’d be surprised how much difference a pen can make, I find it hard to even use biros in class because they don’t flow across the page properly and they’re constantly running out. I probably am prepared to take the risk, as I’ve said I’ve never had a problem with it before and (stupid as it may sound) I think using a biro could really affect my performance.
Lol I've used other pens before
The differences I feel is merely one being more annoying than another in terms of feeling the roughness of the paper as I write with little difference in how long I can write with each pen...though one exception that comes to mind is the fountain pen for me....fiddly /delicate thing that one...
If I were to write a lot e.g. Essays and my hand starts to ache/cramp, I work through the pain then cry and throw my tantrum after the exams over lol

Well good luck and stuff
lukas1051
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They tell you to use black ink because it shows up best when they scan the paper, that's it. They don't analyse the ink you use and penalise you if it's not from a biro. Use whatever you like as long as it's black (even if it not it doesn't REALLY matter as long as it's not light, but better safe than sorry)
QI Elf
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used fountain pen for my GCSEs but that was only becuase my school didn't allow us to use anything but fountain pens for school work so it was automatic and natural that everyone would use them.
Liam6993
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Apparently gel pen ink doesn't scan properly when the papers get sent off to be externally marked.
Flan!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've used a black gel pen type-thing in exams before - just as long as it isn't smudgy it should be ok
-Haz-
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liam6993)
Apparently gel pen ink doesn't scan properly when the papers get sent off to be externally marked.
Yeah I’ve heard that, but then I’ve got scanned papers back which I did in gel pen and they’re fine. If anything it’s clearer than biro :dontknow:
Nix-j-c
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as you don't smudge it whilst you're still writing it should be fine because that'd give it time to dry, but do you want to take the risk?
jbennett8000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The only reason they recommend you use black biros is because they can guarantee that the ink will show up properly when the papers are scanned in and sent electronically to the examiners for marking.

Allowed pens are black biros, black-ink fountain pens and black-ink ballpoints. Gel pens have a habit of smudging when the page is turned or if you brush your hand over where you have written because the ink does not dry quickly.

As long as you feel your pen will show up OK on a low-quality black-and-white photocopy, there is no problem using the pen. Just make sure the ink is black, dries quickly and that you don't smudge it in your haste to finish the exam!

I know this thread is old, but this reply is for future examinees to see. Good luck everyone!
Motivated
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you able to use erasable pens?? ( I'm thinking of getting a Pilot Frixion Erasable Rollerball) I don't want lots of crossing out on my work, I cross out so much and I'd probably waste the majority of the answer lines....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (484)
22.2%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.61%

Watched Threads