The Student Room Group

Using gel pens in exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motivated
Are you able to use erasable pens?? ( I'm thinking of getting a Pilot Frixion Erasable Rollerball) I don't want lots of crossing out on my work, I cross out so much and I'd probably waste the majority of the answer lines....

It's probably not a good idea (but I'm not certain). For one, the ink disappears with friction / heat, which isn't difficult. Second, they don't allow tipex for the reason that it could be someone tampering with your paper, and they wouldn't know if someone tampered with an erasable pen either.

Don't worry about answer lines, you're allowed to ask for more paper.

However don't quote me on this since I don't actually know what they approve of.

(Personally, though, I wouldn't. Mainly because the pens run out quickly and are expensive. It's not fun going through so many pens in the exam period)
I've always used black gel pens in my exams, I can write so much quicker with them, I have carpal tunnel in my wrist so not having to press as hard makes a massive difference! Mine dry pretty quickly, I just wait a few seconds before turning the page so it doesn't smudge, I usually have to stop every paragraph or so for my wrist anyway. There's definitely no problem with my pens showing up when they scan it, my only essay subject I got 100UMS in one of the papers!
Just checking - can I use a Parker vector with black ink?
I used a gel pen in my exams. And I'm getting really really worried. On the AQA booklet it did say do not use gel pens. I read that at the end, as at the start I was reading the question booklet.

Do you think it will be okay?
Reply 24
Original post by >Username<
I used a gel pen in my exams. And I'm getting really really worried. On the AQA booklet it did say do not use gel pens. I read that at the end, as at the start I was reading the question booklet.

Do you think it will be okay?

That's exactly what I did the other day for my English exam. :s-smilie:
I use a niceday topliner which is basically a more pigmented thin felt tip. Easy to write with and never smudges, it's a shame they don't make them anymore. I've not had any problems with gel pens in the past. I've always got my awful results back..
What actually counts as "gel pens"?

I'm fed up of using biros (slower to write/hand cramps etc), but not really sure what other pens we're allowed to use. I used fountain pen for some of my GCSEs but I kept getting them smudged so gave up on that.

So when they say "no gel pens" does that exclude rollerball-type pens?

In my mock exams I used a Staedtler 'Fineliner' because it flows really fast, would this be allowed?

(edited 10 years ago)
^bump
Reply 28
thanks mate
The gel pens I use take a few seconds to dry, so by the time i'm on the next line its dried. Besides shouldn't they be marking the work rather than penalise how it was wroten.
My son's a left hander, so anything he writes with will smudge unless it's ultra-quick drying. He can't use biros because they will smudge. When looking for left-handed pens for him, we came across quite a lot of "normal" pens that are recommended for left handers, basically very quick drying gel pens. Gels are better because you're pushing your pen rather than pulling it, so you need something very smooth otherwise cramps and aches are really bad. If you google for gel pans for left handers, you should find quite a few options - plenty on Amazon if your local stationery shop doesn't have anything.
When I did my GCSEs last year my English teacher told us to use gel pens because you can write with them much quicker, simple as. I bought a load of them and then sat down at the paper and it said "Do not use gel pen".

But I did anyway.
Original post by maggiedavies
When I did my GCSEs last year my English teacher told us to use gel pens because you can write with them much quicker, simple as. I bought a load of them and then sat down at the paper and it said "Do not use gel pen".

But I did anyway.

What happened?

i used gel pen in my GCSE bio exam last week and now I'm really worried.
Original post by niv1234
What happened?

i used gel pen in my GCSE bio exam last week and now I'm really worried.

Nothing bad happened. My exam results came back perfectly fine. No issues at all.
I don't know why they don't like gel pens, despite my handwriting being much neater with them and I can write 2x the speed. I'm sure you Bio exam is fine, no need to worry. If there was then the exam board would contact the school.
Original post by maggiedavies
Nothing bad happened. My exam results came back perfectly fine. No issues at all.
I don't know why they don't like gel pens, despite my handwriting being much neater with them and I can write 2x the speed. I'm sure you Bio exam is fine, no need to worry. If there was then the exam board would contact the school.

Thank you, that made me feel better.
Original post by Motivated
Are you able to use erasable pens?? ( I'm thinking of getting a Pilot Frixion Erasable Rollerball) I don't want lots of crossing out on my work, I cross out so much and I'd probably waste the majority of the answer lines....

Don't use a Frixion pen! The ink will melt when your paper gets scanned for marking as the scanner will be hot. Also, sometimes you can get marks for crossed out work (if they can read it), and as someone else has said, you can get additional answer booklets in the exam.
hey guys, I was just wondering if we can write below the lines given. I did that for some of my answers, but it everything i wrote was within the boundary lines given (the bit which says do not write here)

will my answer still get scanned in and marked????
Original post by -Haz-
Okay I know you’re not supposed to use anything other than a black biro in exams but does anyone flout this rule and use gel pens or fountain pens? I find it impossible to write quickly and neatly with a biro, and you have to press on much harder which makes your hand ache, especially in essay subjects. I’ve always used black gel pens in exams and I’ve never had a problem with it despite it saying not to use them on the front of the paper. But is there any chance I could get disqualified for it? It seems really trivial but I know they can be picky sometimes :s-smilie:

They wouldn't let you go through a blue pen. They would definitely catch you with gel pens, :battle:
Original post by Emilia1479
hey guys, I was just wondering if we can write below the lines given. I did that for some of my answers, but it everything i wrote was within the boundary lines given (the bit which says do not write here)

will my answer still get scanned in and marked????

Yes, but keep within the boundaries. If you run out of space get extra paper and put the relevant idnetifying details on. Put continued at the bottom of the page.
Original post by *Alisha*
They wouldn't let you go through a blue pen. They would definitely catch you with gel pens, :battle:

The OP query is from 2012.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending