The Student Room Group

delaying a period with norethisterone?

I am hoping to take Norethisterone to delay my period in February however my periods are always all over the place. My period in December came on 22nd December and ended on 24th so January's should start on 19th and Februarys on the 16th. Whether this happens is unlikely!

I need to delay February's period, my packet of norethisterone says I should start taking the pills 3-4 days before my period is due but I have no idea when it will start so when should I start the norethisterone?

I'm seeing my boyfriend for a week starting the 13th feb so need to be covered from then really?

Many thanks to anyone who can help or has had success in delaying a period.
I've had the same problem...I'd take it 4 days before it's due to start. If you start feeling cramps or any other signals before then, then start taking it. Failing that, I've taken it after my period has started and it stopped the next day so it does work that way too (and the doc said it was fine to do that).
yeah, you really should check with your doctor tbh. loads of people's periods are all over the place (in a metaphorical sense ;-) ) so it can't be that uncommon to not be able to say 'right, today is the day four days before my period starts' sounds like the drugs company havn't actually spoken to any real women when they wrote the instructions :-)

don't worry yourself, just give your doctor a call, and they'll prob something like ^^ but it's best to check. xx
are there others ways of delaying or stopping your period for a month?
I am away for the weekend in a few weeks and knowing my luck my period will come then.
Also i am going on holiday in the summer for 2 weeks and my period is due bang in the middle so want to stop it coming then too.
Go on the normal pill, you can run packs together and in most cases, that will prevent you from having a period. Try not to run more than 3 together though xx
How do i go about getting norethisterone? will my doctor prescribe it?
^ Yep, it's pretty simple to get ... just go see your gp and he'll prescribe it for you.
cheers :smile:
Reply 8
Are you using it for contraception or just to delay your period? If you're using it as a contraceptive you might need to check with your doctor whether you'll be protected just to be on the safe side.

When I used it to delay my period, I started taking it 2 or 3 days before I was due to come on and it still worked (I forgot to take it early enough but thankfully still had the effect!). It's probably best to start taking them 4 or 5 days before you think you might come on if your periods are a bit unpredictable, and carry on until you're ready to have a period again - some people find they start bleeding even if they miss one dose (you take 3 tablets a day) but I found it was 2 or 3 days after I stopped taking it before I came on. It gives you a hideous period when you stop taking it! I think I did delay mine for getting on for 2 weeks though.
Reply 9
Do you carry on taking it until you want your period back on?
Reply 10
Did it still work after starting to take it 2 days before you were due
I saw your message about norethisdrone and was wondering, how do these tablets work? I need to stop my period for this weekend but my pills won't be shipped in time so I might have to take them the day or two after my period has started. Is this safe and does it really work? Thanks!
Wait so I can take it a day before my period starts and be ok?

Quick Reply