The Student Room Group

So how fast do you go on the motorway?

I usually do between 70 and 80, rarely go faster than 80. Also on average speed checks if you accidentally go to 71 in a 70 zone, will you get flashed? Or is it just literally measuring your average speed?

Scroll to see replies

average speed do what they say on the tin,

you neeed to be avergaing at least 75-77 over the distance to get caught but they dont flash just anpr you.

regarding speed, i do 56-60 as i tend to see 65-70mpg and when im saving for uni it helps, and i always arrive at my destination in around the same time? strange.
No slower than 70 unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

More often than not, around the 75/80 mark.
In the car 65... it doesn't go much faster. Bike 75ish, depending on traffic, slower than on my last bike which is strange
Reply 4
they were thinking of putting the limit up to 80
Original post by lucas13
they were thinking of putting the limit up to 80

And then the usual suspects stuck their ignorant noses in.

Hopefully the HM Government will stick to its guns and change the law anyway, so as to decriminalise the perfectly safe behaviour of a majority of British motorists.
Reply 6
You shouldn't be prosecuted unless you exceed 10% + 2mph above the speed limit.

I drive about 90 in the car on the motorway, faster on the motorbike.

This is assuming the weather is good and the motorway traffic is light/ clear.
8mph on my mobility scooter.
70 as any over that and my steering wheel starts to shake (13 year old peugeot) :frown:
I usually sit at about 85, it fluctuates depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill!
Reply 10
Call me a whimp but I would get worried of getting caught out at 90.. Though many of my friends do it.

With the average speed check I don't think 80% of motorists know what it means.. I am doing 50 in a 50 zone with average speed cameras and everyone just whizzes past, usually slamming on brakes before they approach the camera. I am there wondering if I'm driving like a granny lol. One person in a 70 zone with check slowed down to 60 just to annoy me, then when I tried to overtake her she undertook me..
Reply 11
If I'm not in a hurry I cruise at around 60mph, but then every now and then I'll get bored and go up to 90-100mph and overtake a few people, or if I need to get past a lorry/van etc.
Reply 12
Original post by Michaelj
Call me a whimp but I would get worried of getting caught out at 90.. Though many of my friends do it.

With the average speed check I don't think 80% of motorists know what it means.. I am doing 50 in a 50 zone with average speed cameras and everyone just whizzes past, usually slamming on brakes before they approach the camera. I am there wondering if I'm driving like a granny lol. One person in a 70 zone with check slowed down to 60 just to annoy me, then when I tried to overtake her she undertook me..

Either that or they know that if you change lanes the average speed check doesn't work.

edit - I now know that they have improved the technology such that it works even if you change lanes
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
120km/h as no one else seem to exceed the speed limit here and it is quite easy to get caught here, lots of unmarked police cars and some of them can be rather tricky, they drive cars like the Renault Megane RS250 or the Ford Focus RS and they purposely will irritate you into exceeding the speed limit...... except once you start going way over, they turn on their lights and place a sign on their dashboard identifying themselves as the police. Unlike in Britain, there isn't such a thing as 10% +2 etc here, they can legally give you a speeding notice even if you are doing 1km/h over.

UK days... usually did 70mph on roads I wasn't familiar with, but those that I was more familiar with then between 75-80 or according to the flow of traffic or depends on how badly I needed a toilet :biggrin:
Original post by iKnowWhatYouDid
8mph on my mobility scooter.

on the hard shoulder
now that'd be a funny mr bean style sight
Reply 15
Between 70 and 110 depending on circumstances, obviously I'll only do over 85-90 in good conditions when the motorways competely dead.
Cars will quite happily do a tonne upwards these days though, you think how hard you'd have to push a car when the 70mph speedlimit came out. It's an outdated limitation.
95mph. 160mph if conditons are perfect, road is empty and I can't see any slip roads or bridges where the pigs can sniper snap me
(edited 12 years ago)
More important on motorways is keeping an appropriate separation distance for the weather conditions and other safe driving practices than sticking to a number. There's plenty of people doing 70 mph but not allowing nearly enough distance should the vehicle in front despatch the anchors - even at 70mph, 2 seconds of distance is a bloody long way, even longer if it's wet. Following this rule in the daytime it's difficult to do 70+mph on a lot of motorway, but on 3am you might very well be able to significantly exceed this limit safely, if not lawfully. Obviously lighting and weather conditions come into play too. :smile:

Also as other posters have said it does use more fuel at 70+ than at 55-60mph for insignificant time savings - something to consider really than something to dictate, as you're the poor mush who has to pay up at the pump!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Insignificant time savings?
If you've got a 400 mile round trip thats over an hour saved.
Reply 19
70-90 mph. If the conditions are good I'll mostly stay around 90. I don't really get how these average speed check things work, I've never been flashed that way even though I often stay above the limit on the motorway.

Quick Reply

Latest