The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brittanna
Does anyone have a list of the questions (year of paper and which paper) are doable with knowledge of only C1, C2, S1, M1 and M2.

I highly doubt anyone will have bothered to create such a list. To be perfectly honest, the pure section will be largely out of your reach without C3 and C4. On the other hand, you should be able to access almost all STEP I and II mechanics questions with M1-M2 knowledge and a good number of the stats questions (in STEP I/II).
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I highly doubt anyone will have bothered to create such a list. To be perfectly honest, the pure section will be largely out of your reach without C3 and C4. On the other hand, you should be able to access almost all STEP I and II mechanics questions with M1-M2 knowledge and a good number of the stats questions (in STEP I/II).

The problem being that sometimes the mechanics uses pure from c3 and c4
Original post by wcp100
The problem being that sometimes the mechanics uses pure from c3 and c4

I'd actually say that's pretty rare as far as requiring C3 and C4 knowledge beyond what you need to know for M2 is concerned. The assumption being that the OP has actually done M2 so will have at least some grasp on the basic stuff from C3 that it requires i.e. trig stuff and some of the rules of differentiation etc.
I'd actually say that's pretty rare as far as requiring C3 and C4 knowledge beyond what you need to know for M2 is concerned. The assumption being that the OP has actually done M2 so will have at least some grasp on the basic stuff from C3 that it requires i.e. trig stuff and some of the rules of differentiation etc.

I know some of the trig identities (sec, cot and cosec etc. but not including double angle etc.). We have also done a little bit of C3 differentiation (e.g. differentiating e^x), but not much.This is as far as my C3 knowledge goes. We haven't actually finished M2 yet, but we only have statics of rigid bodies to go. Also, I have noticed that quite a lot of the mechanics questions mention the modulus of elasticity, please could someone tell me what this is. Thank you.
(edited 12 years ago)
I know some of the trig identities (sec, cot and cosec etc. but not including double angle etc.). We have also done a little bit of C3 differentiation (e.g. differentiating e^x), but not much.This is as far as my C3 knowledge goes. We haven't actually finished M2 yet, but we only have statics of rigid bodies to go. Also, I have noticed that quite a lot of the mechanics questions mention the modulus of elasticity, please could someone tell me what this is. Thank you.

This is in M3 (Edexcel). Are you familiar with hookes law?

If I apply a force F to a spring or piece of elastic and it extents with a length x and has an unstretched l then:

F=λxl F= \frac{\lambda x}{l}

lambda is the modulus of elasticity and is constant which is dependent on the type of material.
Original post by wcp100
This is in M3 (Edexcel). Are you familiar with hookes law?

If I apply a force F to a spring or piece of elastic and it extents with a length x and has an unstretched l then:

F=λxl F= \frac{\lambda x}{l}

lambda is the modulus of elasticity and is constant which is dependent on the type of material.

We learnt Hooke's Law in physics, but only as F=kx. So is (lambda/l) the equivalent of the stiffness?
(edited 12 years ago)
We learnt Hooke's Law in physics, but only as F=kx. So is (lambda/l) the equivalent of the stiffness?

Essentially yes. It's dimensionally different to K. K=lambda/l
could someone help me on STEP II 2001 question 4? I've done all of it but don't understand why it matters if n is odd or even. thanks :smile:
Reply 948
Original post by like_a_star
could someone help me on STEP II 2001 question 4? I've done all of it but don't understand why it matters if n is odd or even. thanks :smile:

What did you get for the root of g(x)=0g(x) = 0?
The largest value for the root of the equation depends on whether nn is even or odd, as the question says, so you would expect two expressions.

Spoiler

Does anyone have a list of the questions (year of paper and which paper) are doable with knowledge of only C1, C2, S1, M1 and M2.

There is extremely few of them, and even though there is a few that can theoretically be done with just C1/C2 knowledge, they aren't really accessible to someone who has only done AS Maths. My advice if you are really keen to start STEP is to teach yourself C3/C4 integration and differentiation first as that opens up a massive amount of questions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by like_a_star

I just had a quick look at it - you should get 3 families of solutions, and the maximal one that's allowed in the range depends on if n is odd or even.

Big hint here:

Spoiler

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't ukgea's solution to STEP III 1998 Q8(ii) incorrect? I think he has misread the fact that the sphere is not necessarily centred at the origin and a quick sketch shows that ll need not be the same as aa. I get the following:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
You are perfectly correct Farhan...
Original post by mikelbird
You are perfectly correct Farhan...

Cheers for the confirmation.

DFranklin

Perhaps it would make sense to move the post to the appropriate solutions thread?
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't ukgea's solution to STEP III 1998 Q8(ii) incorrect? I think he has misread the fact that the sphere is not necessarily centred at the origin and a quick sketch shows that ll need not be the same as aa. I get the following:

Spoiler

to be fair to ukgea it looks to me like he's just seen that the location of the system has little bearing on the geometry of the problem and so you can WLOG let d=0 and then displace your solution by d at the end which he seems to have forgotten to do. Obviously though, you are right.
Original post by ben-smith
to be fair to ukgea it looks to me like he's just seen that the location of the system has little bearing on the geometry of the problem and so you can WLOG let d=0 and then displace your solution by d at the end which he seems to have forgotten to do. Obviously though, you are right.

I'm sure he knew what he was talking about judging by his other solutions but I have a feeling that he simply missed the bit about the sphere being centred at d. Could be wrong though, it's all speculation.
Cheers for the confirmation.

Perhaps it would make sense to move the post to the appropriate solutions thread?
If you are happy to edit together a complete solution, I'll put it in the 1998 thread and change the solution link to point to the new (correct) solution.

(I suggest you post it here and then quote me). Thanks.

Spoiler

Makes me think I should learn more about vectors, planes and "all that jazz."
Original post by wcp100
Makes me think I should learn more about vectors, planes and "all that jazz."

It'll be good to know for Uni I suppose; especially if you're going to be doing something more towards the applied side of maths. Not so much for STEP, mind - I wouldn't dare to touch a question like that in the actual exam. :p:
It'll be good to know for Uni I suppose; especially if you're going to be doing something more towards the applied side of maths. Not so much for STEP, mind - I wouldn't dare to touch a question like that in the actual exam. :p:

by "question like that" do you mean a vectors question? I think I found that one OK when I did it but that was a while back. Horses for courses I guess...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending