tdx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Am I correct in beleiving that the only organelles visible under a light microscope are: nucleus and mitochondria

also are granuals of glycogen visible under a light microscope?

Just to let you know I'm following the AQA A-level Biology spec, this is for unit 1 and it sais I need to know the structure of an epithelial call from the small intestine as viewed under a light microscope

thanks for any help

Edit: Also are the glycogen granuales organelles or not?
mad.shell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tdx)
Am I correct in beleiving that the only organelles visible under a light microscope are: nucleus and mitochondria

also are granuals of glycogen visible under a light microscope?

Just to let you know I'm following the AQA A-level Biology spec, this is for unit 1 and it sais I need to know the structure of an epithelial call from the small intestine as viewed under a light microscope

thanks for any help
organelles? yep ur right, mitochondria and nucleus in animal cells. in plant cells u can see chloroplasts
tdx
Rep:
?
(Original post by mad.shell)
organelles? yep ur right, mitochondria and nucleus in animal cells. in plant cells u can see chloroplasts
thank you for clearing that up .. would you be able to see the glycogen granuals or not though?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tdx)
thank you for clearing that up .. would you be able to see the glycogen granuals or not though?
I shouldn't think so - they're quite small; you'd probably need an electron microscope for those.
mad.shell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
I shouldn't think so - they're quite small; you'd probably need an electron microscope for those.
I've seen some slides, I didn't see any glycogen granules. I'm not 100% sure, but I agree with the post above.
tdx
Rep:
?

(Original post by mad.shell)
I've seen some slides, I didn't see any glycogen granules. I'm not 100% sure, but I agree with the post above.
ok, my text book has a drawing of a small intestine epithelial cell which includes the granuals, however it also has a photomicrograph (from a light microscope) in which I can make out the nucleus and mitochondria but no way can I see the granuals. In the exam I'll write that you may sometimes be just able to see the granuals but an electron microscope will show them better

also are the glycogen granuales organeles or not? thanks for the help
thegodofgod
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tdx)
ok, my text book has a drawing of a small intestine epithelial cell which includes the granuals, however it also has a photomicrograph (from a light microscope) in which I can make out the nucleus and mitochondria but no way can I see the granuals. In the exam I'll write that you may sometimes be just able to see the granuals but an electron microscope will show them better

also are the glycogen granuales organeles or not? thanks for the help
I wouldn't say they're organelles, no.

They're just a store of 'energy'
tdx
Rep:
?
I wouldn't say they're organelles, no.

They're just a store of 'energy'
ok, cool so they are just blobs of glycogen? they're not actually bound by a membrane?

thanks
thegodofgod
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tdx)
ok, cool so they are just blobs of glycogen? they're not actually bound by a membrane?

thanks
Yup (not bound by a membrane).
tdx
Rep:
?
Yup (not bound by a membrane).
ok cheers and I found out that they are infact still classed as organelles though :')
arvin_infinity
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tdx)
ok cheers and I found out that they are infact still classed as organelles though :')
please link me up with the source you "found that" !
Interested to see
I'mBadAtMaths
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tdx)
I'm not sure about that pal

Edit: by 'I'm not sure about that pal', I mean 'Granules of glycogen are definitely bloody not organelles'
arvin_infinity
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
I'm not sure about that pal
Also under higher power light microscope you you see grana and stroma (in plant cell )

correct me if am wrong
+rep
Revd. Mike
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tdx)
You've just said that it's not possible to see the granules in a light micrograph - why would you then write in an exam that you can?
tdx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
You've just said that it's not possible to see the granules in a light micrograph - why would you then write in an exam that you can?
i've done it now, lol, no questions on microscopes and because using a light microscope with a higher resolution than the one from which the picture I saw you would probably just about see them. So when talking a bout light microscopes generally you probably could see them
Revd. Mike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tdx)
i've done it now, lol, no questions on microscopes and because using a light microscope with a higher resolution than the one from which the picture I saw you would probably just about see them. So when talking a bout light microscopes generally you probably could see them
What's your reasoning for that?

Also, never give answers that use the word "might" or "possibly" in an exam. If a questions asks can you see X on a light microscope and you say "you might be able to", that's not an answer they'll accept as correct
tdx
Rep:
?
What's your reasoning for that?

Also, never give answers that use the word "might" or "possibly" in an exam. If a questions asks can you see X on a light microscope and you say "you might be able to", that's not an answer they'll accept as correct
however writing 'it is possible to see the granueles under high power microscopes, however when using the lower powered one's commonly used by schools the granueles will not be visible' will get a mark?
Revd. Mike
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tdx)
however writing 'it is possible to see the granueles under high power microscopes, however when using the lower powered one's commonly used by schools the granueles will not be visible' will get a mark?
It's too wordy for such a short answer questions. Also, I'm fairly sure it's incorrect. From a quick google, I'm fairly sure that you can only see glycogen granules with EM.
tdx
Rep:
?
It's too wordy for such a short answer questions. Also, I'm fairly sure it's incorrect. From a quick google, I'm fairly sure that you can only see glycogen granules with EM.
fair play .. I've done the exam and no questions on microscopes, let alone whether or not you can see glycogen granules under a light one, haha :')
kaja7703
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why can you see it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (578)
34.4%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (690)
41.07%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (336)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (76)
4.52%

Watched Threads