Turn on thread page Beta

Let's use animal testing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a bit of work at the moment and want peoples opinions about the usage of animals for testing.
    Do you think it's ok?
    How about primate testing like the Cambridge labs
    Huntington Life sciences etc
    Personally I think it's a very good idea

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a topic you have to be particularly informed about to really express a view on. Because it always seems to come down to how necessary/useful it is, and unless you're informed without being biased then you're talking out of your ass. I think it's quite hard to be informed without being biased too, because most of the people who know what they're talking about have worked in labs etc, and have quite an incentive to justify their own actions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm totally in favour of random and needless animal testing that serves absolutely no scientific purpose and is just done for personal amusement.
    I propose that we stop wasting valuable animals on such frivolous reasearch topics as curing diseases, and start using them for the things that really matter.
    To this end, I am forming a laboratory that will do studies into how dolphins react when sprayed with acid, and the effects of prolonged napalm exposure on kittens. With luck we shall make many insightful discoveries that benefit the scientific community.

(Original post by fishpaste)
    I think it's a topic you have to be particularly informed about to really express a view on. Because it always seems to come down to how necessary/useful it is, and unless you're informed without being biased then you're talking out of your ass. I think it's quite hard to be informed without being biased too, because most of the people who know what they're talking about have worked in labs etc, and have quite an incentive to justify their own actions.
    True, but that may just be that the people that are informed all agree it is necessary. I know of a few scientists who are totally against animal testings though and advocate other testing methods. It's really silly to suggest abondoning animal testing though. We'd be screwed without it
    J

ReputationRep:
    Instead of testing things on animals why not test them on rapists pedophiles and murderers- it would give us a much better idea of the effects different substances have on humans and means the animals wouldn't have to suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preyingmantis)
    I'm doing a bit of work at the moment and want peoples opinions about the usage of animals for testing.
    Do you think it's ok?
    How about primate testing like the Cambridge labs
    Huntington Life sciences etc
    Personally I think it's a very good idea
    I think it's a horrible idea but my understanding is that we can be grateful for a lot of the advances in medicine only as a result of vivisection.

ReputationRep:
    I think it'd be hypercritical not to condone animal testing considering the number of human lives it's probably saved through advances in medicine.

However, I absolutely do not accept its necessity in cosmetic testing.

ReputationRep:
    How about an option: only for medical purposes on you're poll? I don't have much of a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilschild)
    Instead of testing things on animals why not test them on rapists pedophiles and murderers- it would give us a much better idea of the effects different substances have on humans and means the animals wouldn't have to suffer.
    Perhaps because rapists and murderers do in fact still have human rights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    How about an option: only for medical purposes on you're poll? I don't have much of a choice.
    I agree - coz i think this testing should be done only if it is to aid the discovery of new medicines. Not for cosmetics which can be tested in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    yes, but after all other options have been taken, and we're pretty sure it aint gonna cause extreme suffering/ mutalation. We have comptuter models now which should be able to simulate a living body, we should use animals just before testing on humans to make sure that we haven't ****ed up the computer model

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    I agree - coz i think this testing should be done only if it is to aid the discovery of new medicines. Not for cosmetics which can be tested in other ways.
    I think that's the right attitude too There are some people who are very extreme and hate any kind of testing and protest outside centres where they test on animals for medicine because they believe that is wrong. I don't. But for cosmetics, that is really cruel.

I don't know if universities like to play with animals and if they do, then that is wrong too.

you can't for cosmetics anyway if thats what you mean
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    you can't for cosmetics anyway if thats what you mean
    J
    You can test on animals for cosmetics or at least in the US where our products are from.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's the right attitude too There are some people who are very extreme and hate any kind of testing and protest outside centres where they test on animals for medicine because they believe that is wrong. I don't. But for cosmetics, that is really cruel.

I don't know if universities like to play with animals and if they do, then that is wrong too.
    Cosmetic companies can afford to produce tissues to test on anyway and just because they want to make the highest profit possible they use the animals - thats what i think is wrong regarding testing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    True, but that may just be that the people that are informed all agree it is necessary. I know of a few scientists who are totally against animal testings though and advocate other testing methods. It's really silly to suggest abondoning animal testing though. We'd be screwed without it
    J
    Maybe, I honestly don't know, I just think it's silly for 16 year olds to sit around saying "Yes but it saves lots of lives." Because, well, does it? How do they know? It's not really common this evidence, and the evidence which is available is of questionable source.

What do you think of the photos used by the anti HLS campaigners? They're very emotive, but the fact that they're taken period really begs the question "is this justifiable ever, regardless of the rewards?" for me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    People can sell software with a disclaimer that basically says it may not work and may very well damage your computer, but hard cheese. Why can't they sell makeup the same way - might burn your eyeballs out, but hey its not our problem?
    But it could effect your girlfriend or mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Maybe, I honestly don't know, I just think it's silly for 16 year olds to sit around saying "Yes but it saves lots of lives." Because, well, does it? How do they know? It's not really common this evidence, and the evidence which is available is of questionable source.

What do you think of the photos used by the anti HLS campaigners? They're very emotive, but the fact that they're taken period really begs the question "is this justifiable ever, regardless of the rewards?" for me anyway.
    well, insulin was discovered in dogs first, without that discovery, how many thousands of peoplke at this very moment would be boned, plus that one discovery save the lives of dogs with diabeties as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Then they'll soon stop using the dodgy ones.
    Yes they would if their eyeballs got burned out.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they would if their eyeballs got burned out.
    use my way, test it out in computer sims, then as a last cheak, on an animal to make sure we didn't miss something, as long as there is a minimum risk of pain or damage, animal testing should be ok

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.