The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Herr Stamper
I used to train legs twice a week, back once, and chest/shoulders the other. But I favoured legs and back over anything else so really spent most of my time doing squats and deadlifts, rows, chins, leg presses, leg curls/extensions and the odd bench press when I could be bothered. I couldn't walk out of the gym properly after a legs session.

Now im pressing more my physique is balancing out.

I did high volume, low frequency and got my squat and deadlift up aswell as adding a lot of muscle to those bodyparts. You do 40 sets a week working the legs, concentrate on your diet and you're going to get stronger and add quality weight. 40 sets might be overkill, but if you're recovering is it really? I think the body can be pushed harder, I pushed mine a lot harder at the start then I do now and reaped the rewards.

40 working sets in 1 sesh is overkill IMO but split across the week i guess it's not to bad, yeahh i'm kind of thinking to train slightly higher volume due to the fact the only muscle that i trained high volume/frequency from day 1 was back....was doing rows/pulldowns/chins every other day and it is by far my most dominant bodypart and paid its dividends.

what do you think of leg presses/extensions I've never done them before. might give them a go as an accessory movement after dl/squat.

I hate training chest too i'm benching like 65x5 yet deadlift 160x4 ;(
Original post by Gallium
40 working sets in 1 sesh is overkill IMO but split across the week i guess it's not to bad, yeahh i'm kind of thinking to train slightly higher volume due to the fact the only muscle that i trained high volume/frequency from day 1 was back....was doing rows/pulldowns/chins every other day and it is by far my most dominant bodypart and paid its dividends.

what do you think of leg presses/extensions I've never done them before. might give them a go as an accessory movement after dl/squat.

I hate training chest too i'm benching like 65x5 yet deadlift 160x4 ;(

Yeah leg presses are excellent for destroying the quads and hamstrings. Leg extensions and curls are good finishing exercises. 4-5 sets of those to finish and I was hobbling out of the gym. Up the pressing volume, or you'll end up like me and all out of sync
Squat

150kg x 1
180kg x 4 - good, +1 rep

Deficit deadlift

215kg x 3
255kg x 3

Gf wanted to try benching + deadlifting and as the gym was quiet I thought it was a good opportunity.

Struggled with the bench technique but got 35kg up for a few reps. With the deadlift she got the technique down after a couple reps. Did an easy 65kg, reckon she could do 90-100kg had we continued. Maybe another day.
Easy 65kg...

The strong get stronger.
Reply 124
Squat

150kg x 1
180kg x 4 - good, +1 rep

Deficit deadlift

215kg x 3
255kg x 3

Gf wanted to try benching + deadlifting and as the gym was quiet I thought it was a good opportunity.

Struggled with the bench technique but got 35kg up for a few reps. With the deadlift she got the technique down after a couple reps. Did an easy 65kg, reckon she could do 90-100kg had we continued. Maybe another day.

35kg bench first time is well good! I remember I struggled with the bar the first time I tried.
Original post by Becca
35kg bench first time is well good! I remember I struggled with the bar the first time I tried.

I only got 30 the first time I tried benching iirc... :colondollar:
SLDL

210kg x 3
250kg x 2
280kg x 1
290kg x 1

Good Morning

100kg x 3
120kg x 3
140kg x 3
150kg x 3
160kg x 3

Shrugs

150kg x 2 x 8

Decent session. Close to PB's on a couple lifts.
Late but holy **** 250x12 is insane.

Essentially my thought is when you're first starting out you'll gain strength anyway, if you're adding weight to the bar, whether you're doing 8-12 reps or 3-5. The other adaptation you're body is primed for is building muscle. I'd want to take advantage of both, which I don't think you get with any of the novice strength programs, regardless of how much milk you drink..

The one thing i'd want to be doing when I first start is hammer myself has hard as possible to reap the most rewards from the adaptation. I don't think a novice strength template does that at all.

This is an interesting way of looking at it. Hadn't really thought of it like that before.
Reply 128

Amazing, im dragging my mrs to the gym next week! Shes the standard cardio fool atm '30mins x trainer, some stretches and abs' lol.

Gonna make her squatttt
Original post by Khanage
Amazing, im dragging my mrs to the gym next week! Shes the standard cardio fool atm '30mins x trainer, some stretches and abs' lol.

Gonna make her squatttt

My gf doesn't even do that, she sets a target amout of calories to burn and stays on the x-trainer until it's done lol.

Yeah do it for sure, it's a laugh if nothing else. My gf had the audacity to mimick my deadlift set up lol.
Tonight

CGBP

100kg x 7

Floor press - CG

110kg x 1
122kg x 1 - PB

Dips - BW

4 x 20, 80 reps total.
Squat

140kg x 3
160kg x 1
180kg x 5 - +1 rep

Deficit deadlift

200kg x 1
240kg x 1
270kg x 1 - Pretty quick

Mucked about with some front squats, GM's and Hang cleans - no weight really worth mentioning
270kg x 1 - Pretty quick

Thought I'd check out your lifts after my time away and I'm still as shocked at how good they are as ever! :biggrin:

Great work man, keep it up.
Squat

180kg x 6 + 1 rep, good

Deficit deadlift

200kg x 1
240kg x 1
280kg x 1

Stretched and went home.

Saw a guy bicep curling while his mate tried to bench press. Also an incline press while the other leg pressed. Spotting taken to the extreme.
Had a little deload session yesterday for the bench so nothing of interest to write

SLDL

240kg x 1
280kg x 1

12" Deadlift

0kg-300kg-120kg-300kg-120kg (50kg and 40kg jumps)

I was working all the time, non stop, only time off the step was to put plates on and take them off.
Did this for a laugh, might throw it in now and again

Hang clean

70kg x 3
80kg x 3
90kg x 3
(edited 11 years ago)
Squat

180kg x 1
200kg x 1

Deficit deadlift

240kg x 1
270kg x 1
290kg x 1

GM

140kg x 6
SLDL

250kg x 1
270kg x 1
290kg x 1

15" Deadlift

290kg x 1
310kg x 2
Deadlift

140kg x 1
180kg x 1
220kg x 1
250kg x 1
280kg x 1
300kg x 1 - Surprisingly easy all things considered

Had to do a lifting photo shoot, hence the deadlifting, for a local paper for my employer. Bit of publicity for them and in return I'm due a fully funded comp abroad on them.

Only thing is I'll probably be handing in my resignation at the end of the month so probably won't see the benefit lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 139
amazing deadlifting buddy!

Quick Reply

Latest