Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, I could sure do with a little advice if any one out there wants to chat!
    i now have 5 rejections to study english, and one offer from Exeter (abb). It's so depressing!!!
    I was a litle bit miffed cos I got straight a's at gcse except science (bcc, we were the experimental triple award group and it turned out disasterous for our school!) I currently do 5 alevels and and an as (predicted a's) and had a 'strong' ps.
    So today I phoned up Bristol's admissions office and she went through my ucas form with me and said that on my application form my science gcse results had been circled and this was probably the cause of my subsequent rejection! wtf!
    I know english is competitive etc but after getting pooled for cambridge and now all these rejections should I simply reapply next year or go for exeter? Whatever happens, my science grades are not going to change so these ultimately may affect any offers if i reaply.

So do i opt for a gap year or go to Exeter? How good is Exeter academic and reputation wise- I always expected to go to one of the top 10 unis but exeter is something in the 30s! AGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ReputationRep:
    Goto exeter.

ReputationRep:
    Egads, a mere 30 something? Well, your academic life is truly over, you will never be employed by anyone ever if you go to Exeter, and will spend the rest of your measly existence stocking baked bins in Kwik-Save. As well all know, only Oxbridge graduates succeed in life, so if you can't be one of those, you shouldn't be anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    Big deal so Exeter is in the 30s? That still makes it a good uni!! Stop crying about not going to a top 10 uni, ooo and stop being a snob! Accept exeter finish your A-levels then go through clearing if you want some more choices to Exeter!

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't see what this has to do with UCAS? Why the tittle?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go there if you don't want to. I think your science results would not matter as much if you had actually completed your A2 levels. If you were to get 4/5As at Alevel incl. Eng Lit then your GCSE science results certainly wouldn't matter as much. What did you get for AS? I got CC for Science GCSE and it is yet to prevent me getting offers from good universities, like English, History has little to do with science. Try and concentrate on your school work and go and have a look at Exeter

ReputationRep:
    that wasnt my point! Going to cambridge etc isnt that big a deal but i was aking for advice about exeter in general. Ive worked hard to get strait a's and i want this to be reflected in what uni I go to-
    what do ppl think of exeter?

ppl whove reapplied whats happened etc etc? Advice not criticism please!

damn ucas cos im annoyed i got so many rejections. Even if its not their problem/ fault

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moog)
    Big deal so Exeter is in the 30s? That still makes it a good uni!! Stop crying about not going to a top 10 uni, ooo and stop being a snob! Accept exeter finish your A-levels then go through clearing if you want some more choices to Exeter!
    It's not being snobbish, it's being sensible. However, Exeter is still a very good insititution despite the jubious league table placing and you will get a very good degree there. However, if it doesn't feel right-keep the offer and wait to see what you can get in clearing, don't get your hopes up for it though because clearing doesn't normally have many great uni's in it. You can always reapply because GCSE's will matter less when you have A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolita)
    that wasnt my point! Going to cambridge etc isnt that big a deal but i was aking for advice about exeter in general. Ive worked hard to get strait a's and i want this to be reflected in what uni I go to-
    what do ppl think of exeter?

ppl whove reapplied whats happened etc etc? Advice not criticism please!

damn ucas cos im annoyed i got so many rejections. Even if its not their problem/ fault
    Exeter has a really good reputation for English - traditionally its always been one of the places to go for the subject.

As a university, academically its probably a lot stronger than league tables would suggest - however definitely 'first division'/ top 25.

An ABB offer from them is impressive too - their offers for English tend to be much higher (often AAA)

ReputationRep:
    I always expected to go to one of the top 10 unis but exeter is something in the 30s! AGHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Sorry Claire but that's snobish, at the very least arrogant! Wether it's intended to sound that way or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moog)
    Sorry Claire but that's snobish, at the very least arrogant! Wether it's intended to sound that way or not...
    I don't see how..? Wanting to go to a university that suits your ability isn't snobbish

(Original post by claire1985)
    I don't see how..? Wanting to go to a university that suits your ability isn't snobbish
    Insulting a great university (who incidentaly have been kind enough to offer you a place there) may be considered snobbish (irrespective of ability)!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Insulting a great university (who incidentaly have been kind enough to offer you a place there) may be considered snobbish (irrespective of ability)!!!
    I don't think she was insulting it, she was just a bit miffed that was the only place she got into. I don't think she meant to be rude.

ReputationRep:
    maybe not snobbish ... more like ungrateful

She should be v. happy they didn't give her an AAA offer... I'm still offended *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Oh whatever... I can't be botherd to get into an argument about this if your going to persist in being awkward about it. I was just saying in my opinion that's how it came across. Leekey seems to have sumed it up pretty well.

(Original post by claire1985)
    I don't think she was insulting it, she was just a bit miffed that was the only place she got into. I don't think she meant to be rude.
    I don't think she did either and I also think that she probably has a great deal of potential and will go on to have a wonderful carrer. I think that when you actually put it in perspective, Exeter is a great place to study and a degree from there is certainly something to be emensely proud of. That coupled with a good personality and active outside interests will ensure a great career for her in the future!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think she did either and I also think that she probably has a great deal of potential and will go on to have a wonderful carrer. I think that when you actually put it in perspective, Exeter is a great place to study and a degree from there is certainly something to be emensely proud of. That coupled with a good personality and active outside interests will ensure a great career for her in the future!!!
    Yes, i agree-i would love to study in exeter, it looks like a lovely place and has a very good History course and academic rep. It lost out to UCL in the end, i wish i;d put it down now :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hey, if you reapply next year you'll have all your A-Level results and if you get your predictions it'll majorly swing in your favour. As other people have said, don't go to exeter just because it's your own offer, go there only if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    The actual city isn't that great mind you. Seems to of gone downhill a bit recently, not great for shopping either. Good uni thought alright for night life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FerretMessiah)
    Egads, a mere 30 something? Well, your academic life is truly over, you will never be employed by anyone ever if you go to Exeter, and will spend the rest of your measly existence stocking baked bins in Kwik-Save. As well all know, only Oxbridge graduates succeed in life, so if you can't be one of those, you shouldn't be anything at all.

how can u say the original poster was snobbish when we get comments like this??!! yes we all know oxbridge graduates do very well on the whole, but dont u dare slate people just because they dont go there. u never know one day u might be cleaning their toilet!

to the original poster i can feel your pain - and no u weren't being a snob, cant people see ur just gutted that u only have one offer?! anyone would, as it means u pretty much dont have a choice where u can go. my advice would be go and take a look at it. its not a bad uni from what ive heard- but until uve seen it u cant really decide. if u love it then maybe go for it. otherwise take a gap year and reapply?! hope it all works out for you as this whole process sucks big time! i know so many people (myself included) getting rejections for what seem no good reason. who are the people getting offers if people like you and me are getting rejected with top grades!?? the mind boggles! yes damn ucas!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.