The Student Room Group

Is equality important in today's society?

Just a thought on what everyone thinks,
do you think equality is important now days?

Am curious to see people's answers :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, but somehow 'equality' is now only being handed out to anyone who the government thinks deserves it.
Reply 2
Of course it is, equality is one of the main features of a civilised/modern society.
I think equality matters but is given too much importance and some things are classified by officials as equal to others when they shouldn't be
Reply 4
Yes. for the past 20 or so years, equality has been the basis of Western morality.
It is the *most* important thing
I'm all for equality, but when the authorities/politicians act hypocritically, i.e. so called 'positive discrimination', then I completely lose faith in the system.
Reply 7
Equality is not remotely important. I do not care about the gap between rich and poor as long as the poor are provided with a reasonable standard of living.
Reply 8
Equality is important, but we often fall very short of it.
Reply 9
Why do some people obsess over equality? I believe in the equality of opportunity and freedom, however I do not believe in the equality of position.
equality in opportunities, yes
Yes, i think the notion of society anxiety does effect the population however i dont say you should be punished for going further in life as you need money to do research & development, equal opportunities should be encouraged and we should make use of all our resources most effectively.
Original post by Otkem
Equality is not remotely important. I do not care about the gap between rich and poor as long as the poor are provided with a reasonable standard of living.

Makes sense to an extent- relative poverty isn't a problem for me although it can lead to social problems, absolute poverty certainly is.
Reply 13
Yes it is important, society should be equal in a "good" way.

Not like the Communism way of "equality".
Reply 14
I believe equality of opportunity and equality of rights is important e.g Someone who comes from a single parent unemployed family has the same chance to become successful as a upper class person.
I think so yes, I am an Egalitarian in fact :smile: I believe everyone should have equal rights and treat each other equally with dignity and respect.
Reply 16
Yes, it is. However, as a white, middle class, male, heterosexual, able-bodied person, I'm apparently not worthy of equality.
Equality is a nice ideal.

Humanity falls very short of that ideal.

Equality of oppotunities is the most important thing. Equality of opinion is not, as there is a difference between opinion and informed opinion.
Original post by tufc
Yes, it is. However, as a white, middle class, male, heterosexual, able-bodied person, I'm apparently not worthy of equality.

What a shame! your life must be a struggle every goddamnn day. I feel for you.

They can only keep our people down for so long before we rise up against our masters. Hang in there.
Reply 19
Original post by SciFiBoy

Original post by SciFiBoy
I think so yes, I am an Egalitarian in fact :smile: I believe everyone should have equal rights and treat each other equally with dignity and respect.

Unfortunately the nature of the human condition relies on that we be ***** towards others we don't like very much...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending