Is equality important in today's society?

Watch
littlej1512
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Just a thought on what everyone thinks,
do you think equality is important now days?

Am curious to see people's answers
Kiss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, but somehow 'equality' is now only being handed out to anyone who the government thinks deserves it.
Lewis :D
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Of course it is, equality is one of the main features of a civilised/modern society.
ScheduleII
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think equality matters but is given too much importance and some things are classified by officials as equal to others when they shouldn't be
gis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes. for the past 20 or so years, equality has been the basis of Western morality.
Meteorshower
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is the *most* important thing
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm all for equality, but when the authorities/politicians act hypocritically, i.e. so called 'positive discrimination', then I completely lose faith in the system.
Otkem
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Equality is not remotely important. I do not care about the gap between rich and poor as long as the poor are provided with a reasonable standard of living.
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Equality is important, but we often fall very short of it.
IB_19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why do some people obsess over equality? I believe in the equality of opportunity and freedom, however I do not believe in the equality of position.
internet tough guy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
equality in opportunities, yes
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, i think the notion of society anxiety does effect the population however i dont say you should be punished for going further in life as you need money to do research & development, equal opportunities should be encouraged and we should make use of all our resources most effectively.
ScheduleII
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Otkem)
Equality is not remotely important. I do not care about the gap between rich and poor as long as the poor are provided with a reasonable standard of living.
Makes sense to an extent- relative poverty isn't a problem for me although it can lead to social problems, absolute poverty certainly is.
oathboy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes it is important, society should be equal in a "good" way.

Not like the Communism way of "equality".
Dannybare
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe equality of opportunity and equality of rights is important e.g Someone who comes from a single parent unemployed family has the same chance to become successful as a upper class person.
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think so yes, I am an Egalitarian in fact I believe everyone should have equal rights and treat each other equally with dignity and respect.
tufc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, it is. However, as a white, middle class, male, heterosexual, able-bodied person, I'm apparently not worthy of equality.
Alpharius
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Equality is a nice ideal.

Humanity falls very short of that ideal.

Equality of oppotunities is the most important thing. Equality of opinion is not, as there is a difference between opinion and informed opinion.
MAchInE_hEAd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tufc)
Yes, it is. However, as a white, middle class, male, heterosexual, able-bodied person, I'm apparently not worthy of equality.
What a shame! your life must be a struggle every goddamnn day. I feel for you.

They can only keep our people down for so long before we rise up against our masters. Hang in there.
Ocassus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SciFiBoy)
I think so yes, I am an Egalitarian in fact I believe everyone should have equal rights and treat each other equally with dignity and respect.
Unfortunately the nature of the human condition relies on that we be ***** towards others we don't like very much...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads