Mac claims that a newer software version already exists

Watch
bob247
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So, i have a macbook pro with an installed hotspot shield that just wouldn't worked.

So put it in the trash and cleared trash (didn't realise it had an uninstaller) but it's all gone anyway. Searched in finder, no remnants of the application was remaining.

Now, i downloaded an older version (not from the official site, blocked over here) but can't install because each time I try to it says a "newer version of the software already exists on disk"

Help? Please.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The app's preferences file may be conflicting with it, as the .plist file isn't always stored with the application. Go into Library>>Preferences (You may have to make Library visible if you're using Lion, a guide to doing so can be found here), and scout around to see if you can see anything from the old application. Clear that out, then try installing again.
Architecture-er
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know a thing about Macs, but try going to your equivalent of Computer -> Add/Remove Programs and see if there's the option to uninstall the rest of the ghost files there?
bob247
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
The app's preferences file may be conflicting with it, as the .plist file isn't always stored with the application. Go into Library>>Preferences (You may have to make Library visible if you're using Lion, a guide to doing so can be found here), and scout around to see if you can see anything from the old application. Clear that out, then try installing again.
Nah, nothing relating to hotspot shield
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed