The Student Room Group

Things you wish you had know to bring to Uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dee Leigh
Interesting thread :smile:

How much money should a student bring to uni? Need to know because I am saving up...

It all depends on how much you get from your loan/grant/parents. I would day budget around £150-300 for freshers. I spend about £300 in the first two weeks which included things like books, hoody, food, going out etc.

You'll definitely need some money to tide you over until your loan comes through, but during term time it will all depend upon your circumstances ...
Reply 81
Original post by Dee Leigh
Interesting thread :smile:

How much money should a student bring to uni? Need to know because I am saving up...

All of it.

You're gonna need it.
I was wondering. Can you bring your own stuff like guitars/amps or laptops into your dorm rooms? I know it is a stupid question, but yeah.
yes you can take whatever fits :smile: apart from animals ofcourse
Extension cables/multi pin plug adaptors
Original post by theths
toilet paper! even if you buy it communally as a flat or whatever, when it runs out nobody will buy any for ages simply BECAUSE it's communal, and nobody can be arsed to take responsibility

have a private stash for such occasions :smile:

i also agree with earplugs and more mugs because ours have mostly disappeared within months

and a good spice/herb range if you like cooking - it's amazing how much it expands your repertoire :smile:

It's also amazing how tasty you can make something that has turned out nothing like you expected it to!
Reply 86
Original post by ShredMaster
I was wondering. Can you bring your own stuff like guitars/amps or laptops into your dorm rooms? I know it is a stupid question, but yeah.

If you've got a couple of guitars, check your insurance covers the value of everything. My friend paid a bit extra so he could have laptop, speakers, amps, the whole shebang.
Original post by kerily
This. The water in London is ****ing disgusting if you're used to beautiful Yorkshire tapwater (I'm not biased :awesome:) and although I've recently procured a water filter, it was horrible until then!

I thought London water was vile too. I remember being given black tea at a friends house and it really was black. Yet, at home (Plymouth) tea with no milk is actually brown.

I did end up buying a water filter. Vile stuff it was.
Why are so many people saying things like toilet roll and washing powder? lol surely thats a massive waste of car space when there's bound to be a supermarket just around the corner that you can go to once you've got there and moved in. I'd rather fill the car space with stuff like clothes, shoes, bed linen, laptop, kitchen utensils, make up, practical bits and bobs like cables, sentimental stuff, and just generally stuff like that. Apart from the slight inconvenience of lugging heavy stuff from the supermarket... Am I missing something? I'm just trying to work out how I'll fit all of my shoes, handbags, clothes, toiletries and make up into my stepdads daewoo lol
Bottle opener, tin opener, plenty of cutlery, duvet set, pillows, long-lasting food, extension cords, all the supposed "speciality" kitchen instruments like a rolling pin or whisk (you will use them at some point) and enough bath towels.

Although I brought most of the above, I didn't bring pillows for the first semester. Thus I basically slept on a rock for three months. Bringing my memory foam pillow when I start back.
Reply 90
Weird question.. but can you take your own furniture to halls? I have a small chest of drawers like this http://www.thewhitelighthousefurniture.co.uk/white-bedroom-furniture/images/hamptons-white-tallboy.jpg which is really organised with all my cosmetics, jewellery, letters and bits in. Would it be weird taking it with me? I think it's pretty light. :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by Sarah190
Weird question.. but can you take your own furniture to halls? I have a small chest of drawers like this http://www.thewhitelighthousefurniture.co.uk/white-bedroom-furniture/images/hamptons-white-tallboy.jpg which is really organised with all my cosmetics, jewellery, letters and bits in. Would it be weird taking it with me? I think it's pretty light. :smile:

Yes, you can take it :smile:
Reply 92
guessing everyones excited about starting uni haha :smile: !?
Original post by littleone271
Why are so many people saying things like toilet roll and washing powder? lol surely thats a massive waste of car space when there's bound to be a supermarket just around the corner that you can go to once you've got there and moved in. I'd rather fill the car space with stuff like clothes, shoes, bed linen, laptop, kitchen utensils, make up, practical bits and bobs like cables, sentimental stuff, and just generally stuff like that. Apart from the slight inconvenience of lugging heavy stuff from the supermarket... Am I missing something? I'm just trying to work out how I'll fit all of my shoes, handbags, clothes, toiletries and make up into my stepdads daewoo lol

The nearest shop at the time was a bus ride away. It wasn't until the October that we had a Tesco just around the corner.
Original post by OU Student
The nearest shop at the time was a bus ride away. It wasn't until the October that we had a Tesco just around the corner.

Really? and there wasn't a shop on campus or anything? that seems odd. I'm purposefully looking at universities that are all sort of compact with everything in walking distance.
Original post by littleone271
Really? and there wasn't a shop on campus or anything? that seems odd. I'm purposefully looking at universities that are all sort of compact with everything in walking distance.

I didn't live on campus. Campus was a good 20 minute walk away.
Reply 96
Original post by AJ2890
Yes, you can take it :smile:

Ahh brilliant, thanks! :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by kerily
This. The water in London is ****ing disgusting if you're used to beautiful Yorkshire tapwater (I'm not biased :awesome:) and although I've recently procured a water filter, it was horrible until then!

I come from London and I'm going to Yorkshire for uni, you've even made me excited about the water now :colondollar:
Reply 98
Thing I most regretted in my first few weeks was not taking plastic bowls and glasses. Lots of things got dropped while washing up or drunk so at least plastic doesn't smash!

A printer- paying per page from uni is inconvinient and would probably cost you more over the three years.

Original post by ShredMaster

Musical instruments are banned from our halls. However, I think if you're playing them with headphones on and not disturbing people with noise you would get away with it.
Original post by tehforum
All of it.

You're gonna need it.

Brilliant.

Quick Reply

Latest