The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Business Studies Unit 1 11th January

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wastry
Any two people put the same answers yet?! lol

Can't remember what I got for total conrtibution, it was in the thousands I think. For proft I got £680 (around that) which seen afew say. For the biggy about reaching his target at first I got £50 thousand and something! Which when I saw his target was £15, 000 thought something must be wrong somewhere. Then I noticed the numbers given were quarterly but the question was asking yearly (something along those lines) so when divided by 4 came out to £13 thousand and something which sounded alot more correct. Anyone get near that?

Was a horrible paper start to end!

Also anyone mention about bulk buying in order to reduce break even output by reducing costs? Not sure if will get marks for that one. As the product is seasonal so large quantitys needed at certain periods.

I totally ****ed up on the calculations but killed the writing.
for breakeven I said he could reduce fixed cost (rent) however he could move far away from potential customers.
he could also rise price however since demand is elastic this would lead to a fall in quantity demanded
he could also decrease his variable cost but it would lead to reduce in quality and a potential loss in reputation. Something along those lines. Hope its right.
Original post by holmwd
CALCULATION FOR 15 MARKER:

The first step, and the crucial one, is to add 30% to the number of products sold, as it was stated in the case study. Therefore, it rises from 9,000 units to 11,700 units a year (in 2013).

You had to use the amended sale figures. I.e. 11,700 units sold @ £9.20 = £107,640

You do the same with costs. FIXED COSTS stay the same (£48,000) where as the Variable costs of t-shirts (£3.29 cost + other variables 50p) also rise by 30%. SO Variable costs will = £3.79 X 11,700 = £44, 343. ADD THE AMENDED COSTS TOGETHER = £92,343.

THEREFORE, in 2013: Revenue = £107,640 - £92,343 = £15, 297.

THIS MEANS PIERRE WOULD MEET HIS AIM OF MAKING £15,000 IN YEAR 2 (2013)

How many marks do you think you would get for the calculations.
I said on paper he might achieve it however 30% sales growth seems unrealistic.
Original post by Faisal_R
For the 1st 15 mark question, you basically had to discuss how the break even changes along with the other costs. Break even is affect by selling price, variable costs, and fixed costs. First thing to talk about was taking the rent out. Then about decreasing the cost of the shirt to medium quality, and then increasing the price. Of course you have to expand and right about the downsides and advntages of doing the above. Last question was about working the profit out for the 2nd year. i got something around £15,---. I wrote it would meet his targets, but many things can change, i.e- suppliers could increase the cost of the t shirts. You just have to put it loads of calculations to back up your points.. Don't know how i did. fingers crossed. Good luck all for your results.

Exactly what I wrote :biggrin: Nice one. What did you write for the second 15 marks (profit-target)?
Original post by POWW!
Your method is right so you'll get some marks I think but you forgot to minus the 3.29 (variable cost) from the 9.20

I done the same
and yh don't worry out of 3, 2 goes for method and 1 for final answer. so 2 marks in the bag :wink:
Original post by butterflyy
did we really have to use the cash flow chart we were given for any of the calculations?

No. That was the most useless table ever.
Not used at all. I just used it during overdraft to indicate he has a negative cashflow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mosinbad
I tihink AQA are gonna be in a lot trouble this year. they made the accounting paper really hard to and so was this one, plus im gna put a complain in 2mrw regarding the examiners for not gving me extra paper for accounting its lyk WTF?

Accounting was horrible :/ I really think accounting will be dropped to 64 for A.
Original post by POWW!
I think 35 for an A

35 is too low for an A. 39 or 40 for an A
Original post by destruction
variable cost is 3.79 x 9000 + 48000 which was fixed cost which gives you Total cost
82,800-82110=690

When i saw what they did with the variable cost I was like WTF you think you DOING AQA cheap bastards

can you believe I got 690 but I put a line through it in the last second. I hope the examiner is nice and notices it :/
Reply 268
Original post by dan94adibi
Accounting was horrible :/ I really think accounting will be dropped to 64 for A.

yeah im an A2 student, i fort that was the hardest paper deres ever been. i found the written questions alryt and got the profit and the balance sheet t balance in one go, the bank rec question was kinda horrible espically wat happend t me not getting any extra paper t correct my mistake, but it was very unsual of em to base more then half the paper on bacnk rec stuff :s-smilie:
Reply 269
Im suprised you guys think that it will be 30 something marks for an A .. even 39 marks is 65% .. thats 15 % lower than what it should be, i highly doubt it will be that low, i think the lowest it will be for an A is 42/60 (70%)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Leelad
I honestly thought it was pretty ridiculous to be honest. Way too many 'state and explain' questions and some really random ones (how would the company respond to takeover talks?)
We had a very mixed reaction too, the majority who I've spoken to said it was the hardest paper that they've done in business studies. Still, I hope I get a good grade.

That question was ridiculous, I felt after it was rather hard but I don't know if that's typical post exam reaction when all you can remember is the negative! Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries :fingerscrossed:
Reply 271
Original post by nakz_
Im suprised you guys think that it will be 30 something % for an A .. even 39% is 65% .. thats 15 % lower than what it should be, i highly doubt it will be that low, i think the lowest it will be for an A is 42/60 (70%)

People are suggesting its 30 something % for an A? Pretty sure its 30 something marks!

And besides if most people on here are thinking it will be thirty something marks it probably will be, given the opinions on here a lot of people got muddled up in that paper. Even if you did well, the UMS is based on averages.
Reply 272
Original post by TheDubs
People are suggesting its 30 something % for an A? Pretty sure its 30 something marks!

And besides if most people on here are thinking it will be thirty something marks it probably will be, given the opinions on here a lot of people got muddled up in that paper. Even if you did well, the UMS is based on averages.

oops sorry i meant 39 marks, but i really dont see the grade boundaries fluctuating that much, the paper didnt seem that hard but you never know
Original post by Mosinbad
yeah im an A2 student, i fort that was the hardest paper deres ever been. i found the written questions alryt and got the profit and the balance sheet t balance in one go, the bank rec question was kinda horrible espically wat happend t me not getting any extra paper t correct my mistake, but it was very unsual of em to base more then half the paper on bacnk rec stuff :s-smilie:

Well I do AS.
There were more theory than calculations but the theory was really easy, (definitions) however there was an unfair question on rates and rents.
Original post by nakz_
oops sorry i meant 39 marks, but i really dont see the grade boundaries fluctuating that much, the paper didnt seem that hard but you never know

39 is very low. I reckon I got about 45-50 marks.
I completely messed up the last question :\ I was rushing and didn't even notice the part in the question about using calculations and just took figures out of the cash flow forecast and said about customers having 3 months to pay and figures may be unrealiable etc. but in my conclusion i wrote he probably wouldn't achieve his objective but figures could be unreliable. but it seems that if i had worked out profit he would've met his objective.
How many marks out of 15 do you think it's possilble to get for defining objectives, applying stuff to the case, analysing it and writing a conclusion even though what i wrote was ultimately wrong and i didn't include calculations like you were meant to?? :\
Really annoyed and upset about this because i got A's in all of the practices and i know i won't get one in this exam.
Original post by kathryn123
I completely messed up the last question :\ I was rushing and didn't even notice the part in the question about using calculations and just took figures out of the cash flow forecast and said about customers having 3 months to pay and figures may be unrealiable etc. but in my conclusion i wrote he probably wouldn't achieve his objective but figures could be unreliable. but it seems that if i had worked out profit he would've met his objective.
How many marks out of 15 do you think it's possilble to get for defining objectives, applying stuff to the case, analysing it and writing a conclusion even though what i wrote was ultimately wrong and i didn't include calculations like you were meant to?? :\
Really annoyed and upset about this because i got A's in all of the practices and i know i won't get one in this exam.

The calculation will get 5 marks AT MOST.
You can still pickup another 10 marks.
I calculated my profit wrong. but I will still get marks for the 30% increase and I also used the word S.M.A.R.T to answer the question. (In the book last chapter)
The calculation will get 5 marks AT MOST.
You can still pickup another 10 marks.
I calculated my profit wrong. but I will still get marks for the 30% increase and I also used the word S.M.A.R.T to answer the question. (In the book last chapter)

Ok, I hope you're right, I'll feel much better knowing I could've only lost 5 marks for that stupid mistake! Yeah I included SMART in the definition but not really throughtout the question
Reply 278
Well I do AS.
There were more theory than calculations but the theory was really easy, (definitions) however there was an unfair question on rates and rents.

yeah that rent and rate was a hard question for AS people because u prbz dnt get taught that, but because ive been doin unit 3 that type of stuff is normal so found it really easy but ino every1 struggled on it from our college, and yeah the theory was really easy, it should be 60 for an A hopefully :smile:
Reply 279
Does anyone have the question paper and the answers too.. any suggestions.. ?!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending