The Student Room Group

Struggling with uni work/life (advice)?

Veterans of this site have probably heard this a thousand times before but here goes;

To put it in short. I honestly don't think I'm cut out for university work. I'm half way through my 2nd year and I have zero motivation to do the assignments that need doing. I leave them all till the last minute and now seem too big of a mountain to conquer.

Theres counselling at the uni for free and I was considering going as something is not right. My future and I can't even be bothered to 'work' for it. It makes it harder when I don't believe in how university work is in general. To me it's just a "How well can you regurgitate whats on the internet, journals and books".

I do like geography, I'm fascinated by patterns, maps, landscapes, climate etc I just jumped on the bandwagon "uni is the only way nowdays, no jobs unless you have degree, more money"
I guess I was spoon fed too much at GCSE and College or something. But other than uni, what else can I do. A in debt student with no real work experience who hasn't got a clue what he wants to do. I like racing, go karting, maybe a racing driver? Nah. Anyone taking a gap year in the middle of their course? I'd love to hear experiences of that tbh.

I don't know,
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SquisheeMuffin
Veterans of this site have probably heard this a thousand times before but here goes;

To put it in short. I honestly don't think I'm cut out for university work. I'm half way through my 2nd year and I have zero motivation to do the assignments that need doing. I leave them all till the last minute and now seem too big of a mountain to conquer.

Theres counselling at the uni for free and I was considering going as something is not right. My future and I can't even be bothered to 'work' for it. It makes it harder when I don't believe in how university work is in general. To me it's just a "How well can you regurgitate whats on the internet, journals and books".

I do like geography, I'm fascinated by patterns, maps, landscapes, climate etc I just jumped on the bandwagon "uni is the only way nowdays, no jobs unless you have degree, more money"
I guess I was spoon fed too much at GCSE and College or something. But other than uni, what else can I do. A in debt student with no real work experience who hasn't got a clue what he wants to do. I like racing, go karting, maybe a racing driver? Nah. Anyone taking a gap year in the middle of their course? I'd love to hear experiences of that tbh.

I don't know,

You don't deserve anything without work.

Anyway, if you can't do something you consider easy right, then what going to happen when you can't do something hard.

Personally, you should drop out if you can't do any work.
Reply 2
Original post by SquisheeMuffin

I don't know,

Go to your counsellor, talk to them about it, especially if you don't feel right. Make a start on your work, one piece at a time and it will eventually go down.
Reply 3
Hey dude,

You seem to be in the exact same position I'm in (right down to Geography and the motorsports!) though I'm a year behind.

I'm weary of my course at the moment and a bit fed up with everything, no motivation or anything.

Counselling really does help, though. I was having issues like this last year during my A-Levels, but after I'd gone to see a counsellor I picked myself up, motivated myself and worked to the best of my ability. I felt an awful lot better for it as well.

I've gone back into that same trough again this year, mainly due to my own laziness though - so I've asked to see a counsellor again. A lot of people find it embarrassing or feel like it's a problem to go and see a counsellor - but it really isn't. It's their job and they'll give you the time of day.

Just don't let yourself slip like I did (I know that's not encouraging, but hopefully you're different to me!) and you'll be right as rain in a few weeks.
Reply 4
It's fairly typical to feel a bit down mid way through second year.

You're snowed under with work and you can't yet see the light at the end of the tunnel, but trust me it will get better (I'm a graduate now, but I was a second year not so long ago).

I would take the offer of counselling up, it can help to have someone to listen to you without passing judgement, and they're quite good at giving you methods to get through it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending